Do you look at what other people have/use?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening people,

Intrigued as too who pays attention to what other players use/wear etc whilst on the course. I for one am always interested at noseying in peoples bags and chatting about what clubs they use etc! Never to judge but just have an interest in what others do. Do you see people with certain items/brands and instantly associate them to something ? e.g amateur with a tour bag-he better be good, or player with blades- low capper or people with full sets of matching bags, clubs and head covers-posers?

Nicely leads me onto my question...
What are peoples general thoughts on the Macgregor brand? I am changing to carrying my clubs due to storage issues but with moving house next week money is tight. I've seen this absolute bargain which in my opinion doesn't look too bad but wondering if I'm better off going second hand for a "better brand". Only looking at using their bag not any clubs.
I guess it also goes with the pretentious image in my head of what others will think of the bag and what I look like. (If anyone has alternative bag suggestions please fire away)

https://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/equipment/carry-bags/macgregor-response-stand-bag-317695.html

Would love some opinions on the bag and please share opinions you have on the topic.

Last edited:

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take an interest in clubs for the technical aspect. As for bags, brands or clothes I couldn’t give a hoot! Besides you could be poser and still not have matching everything.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't give a damn. I may have a passing glance in the bags by the putting green. I've seen lots of single figure golfers with big old cavity back clubs so I don't think you can link/judge a players ability solely on what they have in the bag. It's how they use them. As for the Nicklaus brand, they are seen as a lower end club (the original Macgregor brand was a major winner). I wouldn't use them but that's a personal opinion and would rather look at options via Golfbidder etc and get a "better" brand for my bucks

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't give a damn. I may have a passing glance in the bags by the putting green. I've seen lots of single figure golfers with big old cavity back clubs so I don't think you can link/judge a players ability solely on what they have in the bag. It's how they use them. As for the Nicklaus brand, they are seen as a lower end club (the original Macgregor brand was a major winner). I wouldn't use them but that's a personal opinion and would rather look at options via Golfbidder etc and get a "better" brand for my bucks

Very very true.
As for Macgregor its only the bag I'm looking at buying not their clubs. Don't know if that holds a different thought process from yourself?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love seeing what other people use but I never ever judge. If someone hits a club really well or it makes a lovely noise then I take extra notice, we all know it is the arrow not the Indian, don't we 😁?

Macgregor bag, no problem.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I like brands and I admit that, victim of consumerism that I am. I wouldn't carry a MacGregor bag, but I wouldn't carry a Callaway, Srixon, Cobra, Nike etc etc either because they aren't my taste. Meanwhile I do wear golf clothing of brands that are not known or not popular because I like them. Which basically sums it up. Use/Carry stuff you like. Not what you think people think you should.

Would I think worse of anyone because of their chosen brands? Of course not. Would I think you're a bad golfer because of the brand you use? Hell no.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do have a little look at what clubs other people are using. With the members at my club I almost never seem to see brand new irons, they'll be 5 or 10 years old, some older. More people use newer drivers though. Our club captain has a bag full of hybrids, I think he has 4, 5 and maybe even a 6 hybrid in there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do look and being a bit of technical nut I do get in to conversations with others in a similar vein.

The Macgregor bag at that price is an absolute steal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I might have a look at what a low handicapper or rapidly improving golfer is using - just out of curiosity. I have no interest in what others wear - though I just sometimes wish that some folks wouldn't try so hard to make themselves look 'interesting' or 'out there' in their apparel. Just irritates the widget off me that sort of thing - be yourself for goodness sake. It's golf - it's not a bleedin' fashion show.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if the bag works for you - go for it. Don't worry about the name, focus on whether it can do the job and will last more than a few rounds.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This question made me think about today's 4 ball match; I couldn't tell you what any of the club's were in anybody else's bag, irons, woods, putters or bags.

Really trying hard I think that one of the drivers was an early TM as it was white matt, and someone had some irons with a big X in the inset, so they were probably a callaway model.

So I guess my short answer is no; and just get/use what you like.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
First things first... I was sent a £5 voucher for online golf so got the bag for £32 including delivery! Even if it lasts me til the end of the year ill be impressed with that! Will let you all know how it is.

Some interesting opinions in here... Guessing thats why you are low cappers and focus on your own golf :D I just can't help myself stare at equipment and love to just chat about golf gear in general. I personally love tour bags and love to see people just not giving a **** and just doing what they want.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First things first... I was sent a £5 voucher for online golf so got the bag for £32 including delivery! Even if it lasts me til the end of the year ill be impressed with that! Will let you all know how it is.

Some interesting opinions in here... Guessing thats why you are low cappers and focus on your own golf :D I just can't help myself stare at equipment and love to just chat about golf gear in general. I personally love tour bags and love to see people just not giving a **** and just doing what they want.

I tend to have a chat about gear on the way round, especially if I don't know any of the guys too well as it's a good, general topic of conversation and if anyone has a fancy looking club I'll always take a look.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Love looking in bags, love rumaging in a good second hand pro shop bin too see if there are any bargains, shafts to be butchered etc.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t look at other people’s gear really. But I have caught others having a glance at mine, pulling clubs out my bag etc.

Clothes wise, I don’t pay attention to brands people are wearing. though I spend more money on golf clothes than civvy clothes as I like brands.

Though I wouldn’t stick my name down with anyone who wears crazy coloured clothes unless its John Daly.