What different types of memberships are your clubs offering.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This week ive been asked to do some research which is to be put forward to our club owner in thr#e effort for some sort of membership scheme.

Our current membership is £60.00 per year at a Pay & Play based course, this is basically an admin fee. We then get a pre reserved tee slot of 9am-10am on sundays at just the cost of a green fee(normal price £27.00), if we wish to purchase a smart card for £25 (normal price £50) then we get £3.00 reduction on our green fee's.

This type of membership suits the more infrequent player as they dont have no big subs to find.

But after many discussions at the weekend after our round it was worked out how expensive this system actually is for players who play on a weekly basis.

For example

Subs £60.00
52 rounds £1404 (£27.00)
Anual Golf £1464

Or..

Subs £60.00
Discount Card £25.00
52 Rounds £1248 (@£24.00)
Anual Golf £1333

This is based on one round a week, yet some players who play on a saturday or even a few mid week games, could end up paying near on £2000 per year to be members of a pay and play course.

I have researched local memberships for our area as it is still being discussed about a flat rate anual membership, but im interested in any flexible scheme thats clubs have on offer. I know one club local is £50 per month and this entitles you to a maximum of 4 rounds per month. What i need to do is present something to the club owners which shows that it will show increased business for them while showing that the members benefit too.

Cheers Guys.

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
this is ours
7 day golf paid in full - £490.00
7 day + daily green fee - £340.00 + £7.00
Weekday paid in full - £385.00
Weekday + daily green fee - £275.00 + £7.00
Junior paid in full* - £85.00
Student and Colts paid in full - £115.00
Fees quoted above are valid from 1st Jan 2011

Golf Guest with member per day: £12.00
Weekday Round Visitor: £20.00
Weekend Round Visitor: £22.50
Day Ticket weekday & weekend: £40.00

I normally go 2 or 3 times a week so it works out good value for myself. we also have a driving range where you use your own balls, putting and chipping green and a driving net.

Its the cheapest in the area too, i know a lot that have signed up as members just because it is so easy to book online and you can get a game with any 3 ball or less if you are on your own as every tee time is designated for 4 balls. You just click book on the website with your membership number on the time even if people are on that time already. :)

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think our place offers 5 day, 7 day, juniors and pensioners memberships.

Nowt too complicated :)

7 day membership is £650 + £50 to pay for the mortgage on the new clubhouse :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its not the 7 day membership that their interested in if im honest. Theres alot of clubs local that are all in the £950-£1450 bracket. The problem is the club have almost disregarded any type of 7 day membership.

Next up all we can do is put forward flexible type of memberships to see if they will take these on board. As it is the group is fairly small (around 50 members) but its dwindling fast, with 8 members currently discussing moving on, this will effectively lose 20% of our members.

Its in my interest and the other members to come up with sensible flexible memberships that would benefit the club in some form, and also benefit the members likewise.

The biggest problem is the part of the country we are in, you simply cannot get a membership on anything other than a goat track for less than a grand, and for a pay and play course ours is pretty good. I just need to find something that benifits all parties.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours are as follows:

7 Day (Unlimited golf 7 days a week)

Joining Fee: £50
Annual Fee: £720
Monthly payments: £66.00 (slightly more expensive)

5 Day
Joining Fee: £50
Annual Fee: £605
Monthly payments: £55.46

Junior (aged 17 and under)
Joining fee: £30.00
Annual Fee: £130
Monthly payments: £11.92

Intermediate (aged 18 to 30, unlimited golf)
Joining fee: £30.00
Annual fee: £374
Monthly fee: £33.00

We also offer a "discounted Green fee scheme", which costs £200 (or £95 if you only want to play Monday-Friday). Basically you pay your yearly fee and get discounts on your green fees every time you play. The more you play, the more discount you get and eventually it leads to free golf if you play enough. Not sure exactly how the discounts are calculated, but it seems like a pretty good idea, and you still get all of the members benefits (which includes 50% green fee discount at the 8 other Burhill Golf clubs across the UK)

Big_Tom

Hacker
Visit site
Just joined my local club. no joining fee £410 for 10 months. £41 a month. Unlimited golf on the course and pitch and putt. 10% discount on bar, food and all items in shop. Plus you recieve £150 worth of vouchers when you join, half price buggy, half price on the simulator free balls for the range etc...

Note: There is a £300 joining fee, but they are waiving this obviously due to the current climate.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Aztec,. this is something like i had in mind. At the moment if you play more than once a week your punished for it. the club need to acknowledge this. At the moment my twilight rounds during the week go to a different course simply because the course is better and offers me a better twilight rate than one im currently a member at. I hate to say it but their attitude could spell the end of the members section, but then its crown golf and i dont think they are really that worried about it.

We worked out that on a average of 5 4 balls (only a 50% show so bare minimum) our society/swindle/membership is worth around

£500 a week in green fee's
£250-300 a week in bar bills
plus what is spend in the pro shop

As i said i have worked this out based on only twnety playing, although some sundays it could be 40, Based on a £800 a week spend, out group put about £42k into the club, yet get nothing back.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aztec,. this is something like i had in mind. At the moment if you play more than once a week your punished for it. the club need to acknowledge this. At the moment my twilight rounds during the week go to a different course simply because the course is better and offers me a better twilight rate than one im currently a member at. I hate to say it but their attitude could spell the end of the members section, but then its crown golf and i dont think they are really that worried about it.

We worked out that on a average of 5 4 balls (only a 50% show so bare minimum) our society/swindle/membership is worth around

£500 a week in green fee's
£250-300 a week in bar bills
plus what is spend in the pro shop

As i said i have worked this out based on only twnety playing, although some sundays it could be 40, Based on a £800 a week spend, out group put about £42k into the club, yet get nothing back.

It's a great scheme IMHO and by all accounts is pretty popular at our place.

The only reason I'm a "full" member is because I get the intermediate rate and if I play an average of once a week over the year it's the equivalent of less than £8 a round.

If I had to pay the £700+ a year, I'd probably go for the discount scheme, as it would suit me better.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our full membership is €690 a year can be paid up front or 190 then 100 for the next 5 months. The club also have a pay as you play scheme pay 290 up front and reduced green fees if you hit the 690 then there is no payment for green fees mid week its 15 and 20 at the weekend. So it is only 20 weekend rounds to make up the difference.
Mike

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you might aswel go join 1 of the other clubs in the area i wouldnt pay what you do for 1 round a week i pay £650 a year for a 7 day full member and i play roughly a minimum 3 times a week

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
beggsy, all of the clubs in this area are very expensive, the cheapest membership in this area starts at £999 for 7 days unless you want to travel 15/20 miles in which case they drop to around 800 with the odd exception,

Zeek

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm about to join Sedlescombe on the flexi membership they do... Works out well for me when I can play during the week. You buy units, and redeem them against rounds. The units DO carry over at the end of the year which is good, and you can top up during the year.

New Flexi Membership

Option A £157.50 - 75 units
Option B £200.00 - 100 units
Option C £389.99 - 200 units
Option D £579.99 - 300 units

Units

Course -- Weekday -- Weekend

18 Holes -- 11 units -- 13 units
18 Holes 3pm - 5pm -- 8 units -- 10 units
18 Holes after 5pm -- 6 units -- 7 units

9 Holes -- 6 units -- 8 units
9 Holes after 5pm -- 4 units -- 4 units

Par 3 Course -- 4 units -- 4 units
Par 3 after 5pm -- 2 units -- 2 units

A Minimum of 70 units must be purchased each Membership year for membership of the Club to be retained.

The maximum number of units that may be carried forward from the previous year is 500. Members may use their units to bring guests to the golf club. Guests must be accompanied by a member (maximum 3 guests per round).

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
beggsy, all of the clubs in this area are very expensive, the cheapest membership in this area starts at £999 for 7 days unless you want to travel 15/20 miles in which case they drop to around 800 with the odd exception,

Where abouts in Croydon do you live Oddsocks?

would Wimbledon be too far for you?

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Now that sounds like a great scheme.

Oddsocks - keep us informed of what the outcome is as at some point in the next 12 months I'm looking for somewhere local to join that suits my limited golfing schedule.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours is pretty much just £65 a mth for 7 day or £46 a month for 5 day. You get a 10% saving as a couple and currently can buy 4 yrs membership for the price of 3

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
£195 first payment which includes social club fees, then 6 monthly payments of £65.
normally play 3 times a week, so on average 150 a year works out at about £3 a round.

Oddsocks, would it not be prudent to speak to the club as a group and offer a monthly payment of £75 over a ten month period which would guarantee you membership with free unlimited golf, 40 members on this scheme would generate £30k of income for the club

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours has full 7 day, 5 day and intermediate memberships.

7 day is around £1300, 5 day is somewhat less and intermediate is on a sliding scale from 29 - 18 years old. I am currently on £550 per year at 27 years old. That gives me exactly the same membership benefits as a 7 day member. Includes reciprocal playing rights at all of Crown's courses anytime during the week and after 2 at weekends. There's about 8 within an hour of me.

Bargain for me at the moment, but not so much once you hit 30.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jezster, it's not to far but my current is 2 miles max. As some may remember I was thinking of leaving the club but their a great bunch, just a Shame management doesn't value our group. Like full throttle said we have suggested a 7 day membership at 700/800 ish, but knowing that some members may pay up to 1500 a year in green fees the club doesn't look on the 30k banked funds at all, they look on the 30k lost funds.

I hate to say it but if it doesn't change our club could end up with NO members section :(

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours has full 7 day, 5 day and intermediate memberships.

7 day is around £1300, 5 day is somewhat less and intermediate is on a sliding scale from 29 - 18 years old. I am currently on £550 per year at 27 years old. That gives me exactly the same membership benefits as a 7 day member. Includes reciprocal playing rights at all of Crown's courses anytime during the week and after 2 at weekends. There's about 8 within an hour of me.

Bargain for me at the moment, but not so much once you hit 30.

Which crown course are you a member at?