Are you seeing clubs opening memberships this year?

D

Deleted member 15344

So you don't think clubs that are now introducing joining fees (where they didn't have them before) are taking advantage of someone who is maybe a little desperate to join a golf club?
No I don’t - the joining fee shows a commitment to the club but then also allows the club to bring in funds for projects going forward

Mandofred

Visit site
Because golf was struggling and many people were having problems justifying the outlay - many clubs have kept the joining fees throughout , some have lost them , some brought them back when demand hit - there isn’t a one size fits all
Totally understand what you just wrote, and I agree. I just don't understand how you don't think that when things are going better for golf....they then take advantage of new members by installing a joining fee to try to make more money. They have every right to do so. I just happen to think that all members should share in the costs equally. If I were looking around for a golf club to join like I was 7.5 years ago....and they all had a £2000 (just a number) joining fee.....I'd never have joined. Others would think the same....others are fine with joining fees. But then again, if a membership meant I had to wear really nice clothes/shoes while in the building......as it used to be not that long ago....I wouldn't have joined either. Luckily....golf is slowly changing.....I think for the better.

Mandofred

Visit site
Because all members have already paid a joining fee to become a member, just raising the fees for everyone would be unfair on those that have already paid a joining fee.
You haven't read everything. My point was about clubs starting up a joining fee now that golf is more popular again......just to drag more money out of people who are desperate to join. I guess it is good business for the club.....personally I'm against it....but I realize that is just my opinion....I can live with that. It is what it is, some people don't mind joining fees, some do.

We did not raise our fees this year. I thought we probably should have, if even just a little bit to put some money in the pot for future years. I think the management is thinking that with staying lower on our fees than surrounding clubs, we would max out membership which would bring in more money. From what I've heard....it seems to have worked. One club in particular seems to have run off a bunch of people with recent club decisions.

Red devil

Visit site
Still incredibly difficult to get into any club in the Southport area and seemingly no changes. Even taking aside the top clubs, it's difficult.
My stomping ground as well. In the same position. I know no club members so will have to carry on paying and playing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You haven't read everything. My point was about clubs starting up a joining fee now that golf is more popular again......just to drag more money out of people who are desperate to join. I guess it is good business for the club.....personally I'm against it....but I realize that is just my opinion....I can live with that. It is what it is, some people don't mind joining fees, some do.

We did not raise our fees this year. I thought we probably should have, if even just a little bit to put some money in the pot for future years. I think the management is thinking that with staying lower on our fees than surrounding clubs, we would max out membership which would bring in more money. From what I've heard....it seems to have worked. One club in particular seems to have run off a bunch of people with recent club decisions.
Ok…on joining fee. Apart from market forces, perhaps because existing members have been funding course and clubhouse developments for as many years as they have been a member - and that can be a long time.

I‘ve been a member of my place for near 20yrs and in that time I’ve pumped maybe £30k of subs into my club (never mind profit made from maybe £100/month food and drink)…and in return I have been able to walk around a nicely kept area of grassland. I therefore see a joining fee as a recognition being made by new members of the contributions existing members have made to providing the new member with the course and facilities they have bought in to, and by paying a joining fee they are helping keep down the renewal subs for existing members.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok…becAuse existing members have been funding course and clubhouse developments for as many years as they have been a member.

I‘ve been a member of my place for near 20yrs and in that time I’ve pumped maybe £30k in subs…and I in return I have been able to walk around a nice kept area of grassland. I also see a joining fee as a recognition being made by new members of the contributions existing members have made to providing the new member with the course and facilities they have bought in to, and by paying a joining fee they are helping keep down the renewal subs for existing members.

Absolutely bang on.
I've been paying a levi to buy land since 2009. Members who have joined recently haven't paid as long as me. Do I bother, no I don't, as it is an absolute privilege to be a member of my club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely bang on.
I've been paying a levi to buy land since 2009. Members who have joined recently haven't paid as long as me. Do I bother, no I don't, as it is an absolute privilege to be a member of my club.
Exactly how I see it. 👍

Last edited:

Red devil

Visit site
Ok…on joining fee. Apart from market forces, perhaps because existing members have been funding course and clubhouse developments for as many years as they have been a member - and that can be a long time.

I‘ve been a member of my place for near 20yrs and in that time I’ve pumped maybe £30k of subs into my club (never mind profit made from maybe £100/month food and drink)…and in return I have been able to walk around a nicely kept area of grassland. I therefore see a joining fee as a recognition being made by new members of the contributions existing members have made to providing the new member with the course and facilities they have bought in to, and by paying a joining fee they are helping keep down the renewal subs for existing members.
That's the spirit

Mandofred

Visit site
Yeah.....charge MORE joining fees! Make the newbies pay! Even if you didn't have to pay a joining fee......

You do realize I was stating that putting in NEW joining fees was just taking advantage of the new popularity.....yes?

I give up....people just read into things what they want ....

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Introducing joining fees when none have previously been applied is not always done with the intention to cash in on golfs popularity.

Where unpopular plans are introduced to improve the course and chuntering members are moaning and threatening to leave, a new joining fee could be considered as a message to the moaners saying...."bugger off if you want to but don't think you will be able to come back when all the work is done without being penalised for your lack of loyalty".