Are you seeing clubs opening memberships this year?

peld

Visit site
Breaking this out from the other thread on membership fees....

Interesting i've noticed two or three local clubs (Edinburgh) advertising they have full memberships open, having been using waiting list for a few years.
Another point is it at a couple, it seems to be 7 day memberships that are open, with 5 day memberships still full.

Note these are not the "elite" clubs in the area but still decent places.

Anyone else noticing a similar trend?

JayB

Visit site
I'm only aware of a couple of clubs local to me that operate waiting lists for some, not all categories. Be interested to see if these are still in place over the next couple of months when they pass their renewal dates, I suspect not to be honest.

simo71

Visit site
Still incredibly difficult to get into any club in the Southport area and seemingly no changes. Even taking aside the top clubs, it's difficult.

peld

Visit site
Still incredibly difficult to get into any club in the Southport area and seemingly no changes. Even taking aside the top clubs, it's difficult.
Theoretical question for you - I grew up in Crosby (parents still there). If I moved back tomorrow, realistically what clubs would I be able to join? West Lancs, Formby, Hillside, S&A would be a fat NO, maybe Formby Hall? What else?

D

Deleted member 15344

Many round here still have waiting lists - ours is still strong and we had I think 2 or 3 open spots from the waiting list that could join

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a waiting list for 7 day but are open for 5 day members.

Our renewal date is the end of March so it might change but the club were able to limit the increase to under 7%.

simo71

Visit site
Theoretical question for you - I grew up in Crosby (parents still there). If I moved back tomorrow, realistically what clubs would I be able to join? West Lancs, Formby, Hillside, S&A would be a fat NO, maybe Formby Hall? What else?

Maybe the hesketh? Even they have a waiting list, albeit not as long I don’t think.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine still has a WL but it’s very short.
we have lost some members.
but the biggest move was full members to 5 day.
not sure if this was a money move for most but if you don’t play in comps it makes sense.
The club seems to be in good shape ,let’s just hope this COLC dosnt last to long.

must be a very tough decision for some to give up because of finances.
But I know two lads who have already made that decision.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldnt say we have a waiting list but membership is at the highest level I've ever known and the club are talking about introducing a joining fee.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A waiting list is a rare thing in Leicestershire.
You can mostly pick-and-choose a club to join.
A tiny few have a - I have trouble mentioning this as it disgusts me - OK here goes - joining fee.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We’re pretty much full and have just introduced a joining fee for the first time.

D-S

Visit site
I can't see why people can complain about the oil companies making extra profits this year, but not being bothered about a golf club doing the same thing with joining fees.
Because if they are members clubs any profits/surplus is always used by the club for the club and never taken out of the club.

D

Deleted member 15344

I can't see why people can complain about the oil companies making extra profits this year, but not being bothered about a golf club doing the same thing with joining fees.
Most members clubs aren’t raising the fees to increase profit 🤷‍♂️ they are doing it because costs are rising and also to fund projects etc - there is no comparison