What determines the cost fluctuations between brands.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After finding out my flat stick was totally wrong I have found myself again shopping for a new putter. I was looking for an anser 2 styled putter but didn't want he cheaper cast model but a milled redwood or anger milled version,

It seemed from ping I was looking at £250 ish for a new one, or £125-150 for a decent used one. As a off chance I typed in milled putter to the famous eBay to see what other models come us that would be considered.

I stumbled across several brands and models and I hadn't considered and really took a shining to the Cleveland vp milled #1'p, which disregarding the steel of a price that I got it for was only £140 SRRP brand new, there were some even cheaper brands.

Now my question is when we look at the costs to manufacture and more importantly the component cost, why else can determine the inflated SRRP between other than coolness and also the staff players salary which comes from the profit from each unit.

Tale the two models in question, ping anser milled verses Cleveland vp1

Assuming both have true temper grade shaft - £10/£12 each approx
Assuming bother have aftermarket grips of equal quality -£ 4-5 each approx
Working on that both a milled from the same aircraft grade materiel to the same level of finish £10-15 per head

So with a component cost per club of pretty much the same cost, why should I give ping £250 for what I could / have purchased from Cleveland for almost half the price. Is it simply all the staffers salaries.... Or are the big names just tearing you a new rectum on every purchase.

Depending on how the new flat stick performs, it could see me look at their brand for a cf on irons when the some it right.

I'm interested to hear people's views, given the economical doom and gloom that's here,

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Brand snobbery

Brand loyalty

Brand reputation

Player influence

A mixture if not all of the above.

Give a club golfer the choice of a Taylormade/PING/Odyssey/Scotty Cameron etc putter or a Dunlop what would they choose?

Marketing and a mixture of the above reasons give brand a "quality" weight that smaller, less advertised brands simply don't have.

99.99% of tour pro's are affiliated with a manufacturer and the products are marketed around them, "Bubba long" is an example that comes to mind. Why do you suppose Nike are after Mcilroy?

The other, more common element is quite simply, people pay the asking price.

I'm as guilty as most paying £210 for my Cameron when the Rife putter was almost as good (Results wise) yet £70 cheaper :mad:

As long as idiots like me keep paying it, they'll keep charging it.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brand snobbery

Brand loyalty

Brand reputation

Player influence

A mixture if not all of the above.

Give a club golfer the choice of a Taylormade/PING/Odyssey/Scotty Cameron etc putter or a Dunlop what would they choose?

Marketing and a mixture of the above reasons give brand a "quality" weight that smaller, less advertised brands simply don't have.

99.99% of tour pro's are affiliated with a manufacturer and the products are marketed around them, "Bubba long" is an example that comes to mind. Why do you suppose Nike are after Mcilroy?

The other, more common element is quite simply, people pay the asking price.

I'm as guilty as most paying £210 for my Cameron when the Rife putter was almost as good (Results wise) yet £70 cheaper :mad:

As long as idiots like me keep paying it, they'll keep charging it.

no idiots if they play mizuno

D

Deleted Member 1156

Which is very true :thup:

I disagree. I've got forged Orka blades (3-PW) that were custom fitted for me. Total cost £535. If I'd bought Mizuno equivalents I would have paid out well in excess of £700. I changed from Mizunos, the Orkas are every bit as good if not better.

Orka don't pay a fortune sponsoring tour pros, they just turn out quality products at value for money prices.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
i know if i had a choice of 140k bentley gt 6.0 or vw phaeton 6.0 i would take the vw. exact same enginge and half the price.

Which is all very true, but the Phaeton is restricted to 155MPH, same as most VW, BMW Mercs. Why buy a car limited to that when it's capable of 200MPH+?

That's like buying brand spanking new 913 driver without the wrench to adjust it. It will never be everything it's supposed to be.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Which is all very true, but the Phaeton is restricted to 155MPH, same as most VW, BMW Mercs. Why buy a car limited to that when it's capable of 200MPH+?

That's like buying brand spanking new 913 driver without the wrench to adjust it. It will never be everything it's supposed to be.

Or buying a 913 driver that's limited to 155 yards?? :rofl:

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree. I've got forged Orka blades (3-PW) that were custom fitted for me. Total cost £535. If I'd bought Mizuno equivalents I would have paid out well in excess of £700. I changed from Mizunos, the Orkas are every bit as good if not better.

Orka don't pay a fortune sponsoring tour pros, they just turn out quality products at value for money prices.

i dont doubt it had my irons 4 years reckon it will be another 4 before i change, BUT will look at other forged irons possibly double forged or triple ones

D

Deleted Member 1156

Neither do Miura, but their irons are even more expensive than Mizuno.

The same could be said for Vega, Hakusa and a few others.

True but Vega, Muira etc target the super rich, must have, Japanese market. Their clubs are no better than any other brand, they just have a different target audience.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
True but Vega, Muira etc target the super rich, must have, Japanese market. Their clubs are no better than any other brand, they just have a different target audience.

I see, and take your point.

Now let me throw a slant on it.

Mizuno are big, probbly mahoosive in Japan.

So why do the super rich of Japan buy Miura, Hakusa and Vega as opposed to the cheaper Mizuno?

Simple answer is the same reason people in the UK choose to play PING, Titleist, Calaway, Mizuno, TM as opposed to Dunlop, Slazanger.

The can afford to are probably brand loyal and feel they have a superior product.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How do they double or tripple forge? I'm interested.

Check out Tom Wishon for the 5-step process of the 550s (2003) and TM site for its 6-step process.

Both innovations, certainly Wishon's, were done in order to minimise the amount of subsequent hand grinding required - with consequent variations in weight.

I don't believe there's any relationship, in Golf at least, to the cost of production and the price the consumer pays. I believe it's a 'how do we maximise profit' question.

Is there really that much of a difference between a putter and a 9-iron to justify the huge difference in cost?

And as far as the Japanese market is concerned, Miura and the like are not even in the same category (price wise) as the likes of Maruman Majesty series, Katana Sword or (top of the pile) Honma Beres 5-star. bolutely insane!

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely it's to do with how good your marketing is. People will pay more for a product they see advertised eveywhere and for a product they see tour pro's using. There is no point Adams trying to sell a Driver (no matter how good it is) for the same price as a TM as their name doesn't carry the same weight and people wouldn't think twice about it. They need to sell to an audience who can't afford or don't want to pay for the main brands (or to those who don't get swayed by the marketing :))in order to get into the market and if their products are good enough their reputation will rise and they can start increasing prices (if they want or need to).

It isn't always to do with quality but public perception. Don't forget most casual golfers, and some not so casual golfers will buy before they try. They won't spend ages researching or trying different models, they'll just buy a Ping because they think it's good. I wonder how many people go into american golf to try putters and even bother to pick up a Rife or Cleveland. If they did, they might be surprised, but they won't, because they've barely heard of them.

D

deanobillquay

I tried all of the putters in AG and found the Cleveland to be the best one that suited me. Really like the Cleveland putters.