Putters

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
All putters are the same. Scotties are certainly no better than any others. .

Certainly disagree that all putters are the same. In fact its probably more important to get fitted for a putter, or at least get one that suits your putting style, than it is to get fitted with for. You use it more and the margin of error is minimal compared to irons etc.
Get on a SAM putting lab or similar and you will see if your stroke is an arc, in to out, out to in, straight etc, then you can start to decide what putter you need.
Im not saying you need a Scotty, but you need one with the right weighting, loft, toe hang and face to suit your style.

I think Backsticks is on a mission to rubbish the whole golfing industry by suggesting that firstly balls, and now putters are all the same and it doesn't matter what you use.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My putter is over 10 yr old and I love it. If it works for you why change. You are using it not your pro.

MACM85

Visit site
I have just recently changed putter after winning a fitting and getting a putter from it. Now using SIK Sho putter and it took some getting used to but overall I think it has improved my percentage of putts made.

HPIMG

Visit site
I played this morning and said if I leave more than 5 putts shorts today I am having a new putter. Finished +2 was level par after 15 holes and then bottled it and left just one long putt short today. Said after my round might need to just keep this putter then on way home couldn’t help myself and stopped in at affordable golf.
I had a play about with a good few brands but mizuno and scotty Cameron stood out for me and really liked the blade look. I think I am going to book myself in for a fitting, i know I don’t need a new putter but I just want one now.

Does anyone know when mizuno or scotty Cameron bring out 2023 putters don’t want to buy one now if new ones are on there way ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In playing for over 40 years now I have realisticly only had 4 putters (although many have been in the bag for short periods whilst I sorted out what I wanted in the new one)

First change was after 8 years because it was too light for the greens where I joined a club for the first time.
Second change after about another 8 years was because I damaged the second one.
Third change was because I found the one I had bought was a bit too light for the greens in winter
The last change was to one from the same manufacturer (Never Compromise) when they bought out one on which you could change the weights to suit the speed of the greens so I keep the same stroke for the the same distance all year round.

My advice is to put in a lot of time to find a putter you really like and stick with it.

Ian_George

Visit site
Putting and getting the appropriate putter is THE area that is most personal. Lots of attributes to consider, including length, weight, balance, style, and grip size but brand is probably the lowest priority! And I've actually owned loads (probably over 100) over the years. The SAM system can indicate what style is likely to suit, which will save time, or you could work it out yourself if you have the likes of American Golf or other store with a putting area conveniently available. Being more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it's better, either in basic quality nor better for the particular user!

Last edited:

AAC

Visit site
I have just taken delivery of a putter, it arrived this afternoon, I paid £10.00 inc postage for a Dick Kemp 1960's blade putter to go with my £20.00 set of 1970's clubs which I am still to take out on the course. I have had a few putts in the office and the club feels nicely balanced if a little open at address, I might just yellow card my Scotty for a week or two and see if my putting stats are much different :sneaky:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My putting is very up and down and I know that it won’t be any better with a Scotty than with my Ping Anser … it’s the idiot on the end of the stick that is the main thing. But I keep looking at them and thinking “I want one! ?”. I’m not normally a sucker for such slick marketing and hype.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a Rife Cayman Brac in tropical finish, which took the place of another Rife and before that a Ping. I bought the Rife blind as I just loved the look of it. It is my wand, and I can putt from anywhere with it and get it damned close. However some don't like it having tried it, which is fine...I don't care. Mine gives me confidence every time I take it out the bag, and that is all you need from a putter.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine gives me confidence every time I take it out the bag, and that is all you need from a putter.

And that is important for sure. To clarify, when I say putters are all the same, I mean they are technically, if we remove the mental element of liking or feeling confident with a putter. Anyone can putt just the same with any putter if they get over the mental hurdle of believing there is any difference in them, or, the more conventional route, buy confidence. And that can work. Spending more, buying whatever hot item won the latest major, or going with a brand or model that makes you playing partners ooooh, leaves a feeling that well, at least you have gone for the best, so any misses arent the implement. But its still true that the benefit of the implement in itself is nil, and that it is the marketing and fashion following that is giving any benefits. Or imagined benefits.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a Scotty, are they that good?
No, no better than any other putter in all honesty, no worse than them either I suppose.

Thats about it. Scottie Cameron referred to as 'jewellery golf items' on Rick Shiels podcast, where the benefit comes from the price itself, for those who like to have something simply to distinguish themselves from those who cant afford one.
Luxury good have their market.

Ian_George

Visit site
All putters are the same...
That rather clashes with your 'The never bettered much sought pinnacle of putters Odyssey White Ice 2-ball F7 Odyssey Black Swirl Single tape wrap ' sig description of YOUR putter!! Though it was a 2-ball that first got me hooked on putters - described by one of the Pros as a 'Ladies' putter because it was 33". Turned out to be the perfect length for my body attributes (shorter legs, longer back and arms than standard for my height - also apparently advantageous for tennis).

Last edited: