Putters

HPIMG

Visit site
I recently had a putting lesson and the pro commented on how soft my putter was and he said my god how do you play with that. I use one of the 2021 ping putters with the rubber insert in the face. I think my putting is decent but my miss usually is short I very rarely go long and was thinking if I went for a full metal putter is would maybe just solve this problem.
I now got it into my head I want a new putter and like the look of the mizuno milled putters what is the difference in a standard putter vs milled and also would a place like affordable golf be able to do a good job at finding out how I hit a putter and finding the correct arc or should I look somewhere else for a fitting?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats a shocking comment from a pro, but doesnt surprise me in another way.
Either he really doesnt know he was talking nonsense, or cynically planting a seed of doubt in your mind, to try to catch a sale of one of the most overpriced items in golf.
Put the comment out of your head. Work on your putting. Its the indian, not the arrow.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put a piece of blu tack either side of the centre of the putter face, just wide enough to strike the ball with as little leeway as you think appropriate to still be hitting the sweet spot near enough. Make them chunky, so if you were anti strike across the ball for example you’d hit one of them.

Take a couple of dozen different long putts on your putting green (not the same one over and over). How often are you striking the blu tack?

Distance control is more often about consistency of strike than anything else, which is a combination of being straight through the ball at impact and obviously hitting the centre of the putter face. If you’re not doing that consistently, a milled putter will produce the exact same problem. Just with a different range. And soon you’ll be leaving them short again.

I agree, not a great comment from your pro. That said I do think soft inserts and wet long grass winter greens are a poor match. But it’s really isn’t the arrow. The good putters at my club could make anything work

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I don't like putters with inserts. The harder you have to hit a putt the more error you introduce. Stan Utley, top short game coach recommends a milled putter. I had a "Yes!" Callie for a long time & loved it, wish I hadn't sold it. It has a damping insert behind the milled face & it was great for distance control. They can be picked up cheaply on EBay. Matt Fitzpatrick uses a replica of one made for him by Bettinardi.

HPIMG

Visit site
Unfortunately I have already went down the YouTube rabbit hole and I am all set for a new putter there’s no going back now :ROFLMAO:
I do myself feel when I have a long putt I’ve got to give my putter a good old hit to get it up. So I want to try something new might end up going back to the ping.
I might try and stop in at affordable golf tomorrow see if they can give me a fitting.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put a piece of blu tack either side of the centre of the putter face, just wide enough to strike the ball with as little leeway as you think appropriate to still be hitting the sweet spot near enough. Make them chunky, so if you were anti strike across the ball for example you’d hit one of them.

Take a couple of dozen different long putts on your putting green (not the same one over and over). How often are you striking the blu tack?

Distance control is more often about consistency of strike than anything else, which is a combination of being straight through the ball at impact and obviously hitting the centre of the putter face. If you’re not doing that consistently, a milled putter will produce the exact same problem. Just with a different range. And soon you’ll be leaving them short again.

I agree, not a great comment from your pro. That said I do think soft inserts and wet long grass winter greens are a poor match. But it’s really isn’t the arrow. The good putters at my club could make anything work

I like that blutack ideal simple, cheap and effective.

Agree with other sentiments about the Pros comment.

That’s a shocker ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I recently had a putting lesson and the pro commented on how soft my putter was and he said my god how do you play with that. I use one of the 2021 ping putters with the rubber insert in the face. I think my putting is decent but my miss usually is short I very rarely go long and was thinking if I went for a full metal putter is would maybe just solve this problem.
I now got it into my head I want a new putter and like the look of the mizuno milled putters what is the difference in a standard putter vs milled and also would a place like affordable golf be able to do a good job at finding out how I hit a putter and finding the correct arc or should I look somewhere else for a fitting?

Putting is confidence, and the pro has planted doubt…. That’s not good form IMHO.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

work

Two thin elastic bands can also help,

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If you want to by a putter, wait until you have enough for a Scottie. If you then Want to change in a few years, you’ll get a lot of your money back. In fact I think mine is actually worth a bit more now.

D

Deleted member 23270

Horses for courses. I don't like milled putters, I prefer the feel of a soft insert.

I'm a good putter.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
did you need 10 lessons with the new putter from the same pro?

Get a proper putter fitting on SAM Puttlab or alternative if that gives you the right putter stick with it and work on it hard.

HPIMG

Visit site
did you need 10 lessons with the new putter from the same pro?

Get a proper putter fitting on SAM Puttlab or alternative if that gives you the right putter stick with it and work on it hard.
No it was just a one off lesson to see how I was putting. The pro wasn’t trying to sell me a new putter or anything he had a go with mine and just said it was so much softer than he was used to and got a bit of a shock at how hard you had to hit it. Think his putt was about 8ft short on his first go with my putter.
I really like the look of the mizuno milled putters and cause I use mizuno irons and love them was thinking just stay with that brand but as someone else mentioned I will take a look at the scotty cameron.
Are the scotty Cameron putters that good ? I don’t have a budget so I don’t mind buying one if there that much better that all the others.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have an odyssey Toulon and I love the feel off the milled face. I previously used (still have) a Taylormade hydro blast which had an insert. Mcilroy uses one of those so can’t be bad.

Albo

Visit site
No it was just a one off lesson to see how I was putting. The pro wasn’t trying to sell me a new putter or anything he had a go with mine and just said it was so much softer than he was used to and got a bit of a shock at how hard you had to hit it. Think his putt was about 8ft short on his first go with my putter.
I really like the look of the mizuno milled putters and cause I use mizuno irons and love them was thinking just stay with that brand but as someone else mentioned I will take a look at the scotty cameron.
Are the scotty Cameron putters that good ? I don’t have a budget so I don’t mind buying one if there that much better that all the others.
I have a Scotty, are they that good?
No, no better than any other putter in all honesty, no worse than them either I suppose.
Someone said earlier, putting is all about confidence, it really doesn’t matter which putter you use as long as you’re confident in it.
I had a putting lesson with my pro earlier in the year, he told me I had a really good putting stroke, we did some drills about distance control and green reading, and I walked away from that lesson with my confidence sky high, mostly from his comments about my stroke. Putting is been excellent since.
For all I know my putting stroke may be horrible but I have full confidence in it. That was worth way way way more than the money spent on a Scotty

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All putters are the same. Scotties are certainly no better than any others. If the pro knew what he was doing for you, the best he could have said was 'that putter is perfect for you, no need to look at any others, practice is all you need'. It would have been a lie, as putters are all the same, but would have you focused you mind with confidence on improving your skill. He hitting a ball with your putter, was an poor move - 8ft short says more about his skill than your wand... he was covering at the expense of leading you down that rabbit hole.
Climb back out if it - keep your putter and just practice. Forget technique and stroke - use practice drills, vary lengths, set goals for putts holed and so on to ensure sharp focus when practicing.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Scotty's are very good, like most some really good engineering and machine work. the latest Mizuno in black appeal to me. the sky high prices are only fueling WAGE packets, they are purely a piece of metal on a stick it's what we do with that stick that matters. I've had numerous putters through 25 years and putted great with them all, then fall out of love and move to next WIFE :) the love affair last 6 months and next wife hops on board.

I personally need to think better, I putted great with an old putter a few weeks back it didn't work last week. stick with what you know, tinker less and putt more #Practice - shiny doesn't last