Mis-sold Putter

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Looking for some advice. I bought online via Facebook what I thought was a 34" Ping Anser 2 Cadence Putter. What was delivered was the adjustable version which is much heavier. When I contacted the seller he said he was unaware it was adjustable. Worse still it has no key to adjust which will cost me about £15 if I need to sell on. The sellers attitude has been pretty arrogant but I'm not sure I have any option. I don't have his address to take to Small Claims and the cost of that would have to be borne by me and unrecoverable. It was a bank transaction so no responsibility by Facebook. Maybe a lesson I've learnt but any options I've missed

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
..and this is why we don't buy things through Facebook.

Yep, I never buy through Facebook unless I am collecting in person and can inspect.

Actually, the story given by the seller rings true. I would guess that an adjustable version would widen the market for him so you would advertise it as such if you knew.

This is one that just has to be chalked up to experience. Also, does it need a specific tool, I would be surprised if it was not a standard sized torque screw.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
I did offer to return at my expense and also asked if he'd cover the cost of the Ping Tool but he just stated it wasn't his fault that it had an adjustable function that he was unaware of. The thing is the additional weight makes it a completely different putter. Ive tried a number of allen keys and none fit so it's not a standard size or the mechanism is worn.

I'm sure if I was in his position I'd have come to some fair arrangement but all I've had are some pretty rude replies. Definitely lessons learnt and I won't be buying via Facebook online again. Worth posting as others may learn from my mistaje

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did offer to return at my expense and also asked if he'd cover the cost of the Ping Tool but he just stated it wasn't his fault that it had an adjustable function that he was unaware of. The thing is the additional weight makes it a completely different putter. Ive tried a number of allen keys and none fit so it's not a standard size or the mechanism is worn.

I'm sure if I was in his position I'd have come to some fair arrangement but all I've had are some pretty rude replies. Definitely lessons learnt and I won't be buying via Facebook online again. Worth posting as others may learn from my mistaje

30 second on google seems to suggest it is a standard sized Torx screw to adjust not an allen key (as is the case with most adjustable clubs as it prevents over tightening I believe) and available on Amazon for as little as £4.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just seen on Facebook an "as new" condition Ping G430 driver for sale for £200.

Clearly, either stolen, fake, or just a scam. I messaged the seller and he asked for a BACS payment as he said he didn't do PayPal.

I messaged him back and said I'd come and give him cash on collection. I'm now blocked!!

I only buy or sell locally for cash!

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
30 second on google seems to suggest it is a standard sized Torx screw to adjust not an allen key (as is the case with most adjustable clubs as it prevents over tightening I believe) and available on Amazon for as little as £4.
Hi - I did check on google. I guess it's the reply I saw. I bought the Torx screw as stated and it does not fit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi - I did check on google. I guess it's the reply I saw. I bought the Torx screw as stated and it does not fit.

Most sets of hex screw driver bits contain a range of torx bits as they are so common on cars.

e.g.
ebay item 225654915430

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just seen on Facebook an "as new" condition Ping G430 driver for sale for £200.

Clearly, either stolen, fake, or just a scam. I messaged the seller and he asked for a BACS payment as he said he didn't do PayPal.

I messaged him back and said I'd come and give him cash on collection. I'm now blocked!!

I only buy or sell locally for cash!

Was looking for a scotty on marketplace and found one advertised a few weeks back in essex, found the same putter listed in Brighton and Swindon with the same photos. All only accepting transfer.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This doesn’t sound like a scam, but there are loads on Facebook. Brand new clubs for ‘£89’, ping g430 drivers for £200, tm stealth 2 for £150 etc. I’m on a crusade to get them banned so I report every one I see. Probably makes no difference but makes me feel marginally better! I’d defo never buy off there without seeing the club. EBay is different as you get some protection.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

I’ve never bought or sold anything on Facebook but I wouldn’t take it back if it was me. Like anything bought second hand it is bought as seen. The fact it’s heavier than you expected is really on you.

Sorry, I know it’s not the answer you are looking for but he’s not a shop. Best bet is to buy the tool and try and sell it for more as a complete item. I’m sure the adjustability is a selling point.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve never bought or sold anything on Facebook but I wouldn’t take it back if it was me. Like anything bought second hand it is bought as seen. The fact it’s heavier than you expected is really on you.

Sorry, I know it’s not the answer you are looking for but he’s not a shop. Best bet is to buy the tool and try and sell it for more as a complete item. I’m sure the adjustability is a selling point.
In my experience you can make more selling something on Ebay than you do on Facebook (wider audience) so he may even make a profit selling it on, then no harm done.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Facebook marketplace is only ever used by us in the local area where we can drive there to inspect, collect and pay cash (and I flipping hate cash) so hardly ever use it.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
In my experience you can make more selling something on Ebay than you do on Facebook (wider audience) so he may even make a profit selling it on, then no harm done.
I have to say I never look at Facebook marketplace. It’s like an online car boot sale with similar organisation.

Mind you, I don’t even use Facebook anymore. To me, everything seems so negative on there.

D

Deleted member 18121

just for balance.... I used to have a rusty faced 60 degree wedge which I bought off ebay, I didn't have it long as I didn't like the feel.

I sold it on ebay and on the day of delivery got a rather irate message from the buyer telling me the club I'd sold him was 1.25" longer that usual...... honestly I had absolutely no clue and I ended up paying for his local pro to cut it down for him.

Sometimes people (like me) are very ignorant and think what we're doing is straight down the line, unfortunately we cant always be right.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
just for balance.... I used to have a rusty faced 60 degree wedge which I bought off ebay, I didn't have it long as I didn't like the feel.

I sold it on ebay and on the day of delivery got a rather irate message from the buyer telling me the club I'd sold him was 1.25" longer that usual...... honestly I had absolutely no clue and I ended up paying for his local pro to cut it down for him.

Sometimes people (like me) are very ignorant and think what we're doing is straight down the line, unfortunately we cant always be right.
It's just the chance you take when buying second hand. I even bought a putter off GolfsClubs4Cash yesterday that ended up having a ridiculous amount of shaft lean so you practically had to play it off your front foot - thankfully with a company like that I was able to return it, since that wasn't in the description! Had I bought that off Ebay though I'd have felt a bit stuffed.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree, in this instance, it is perfectly possible that the person did not know it was adjustable. Not everyone looks into these things. Could have just walked into an American Golf or similar, tried it, liked it and bought it without ever checking or knowing that it could be changed. Certainly how I have bought putters before, picked it up off the rack, tried it on the putting green and bought it with no advice or interaction.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've bought a few clubs on eBay over the years and a few on Gumtree and Facebook.
Some have been disappointing but most have either lived up to or exceeded expectations. I don't expect fully accurate descriptions as a lot of sellers don't know what they have and so I rely mostly on the pictures.

Only once can I remember complaining and that was a set of clubs where the shafts were so rusty under the grips that when I picked one up it just snapped in my hands! Got a full refund for them though.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
never buy a Scotty off Facebook or Ebay unless you can go and see it. Lots of wronguns about
A pal of mine had a scotty punched from his bag at the course. A guy from a fuddle from Wigan was seen taking it. The following week it was on sale on Ebay. Location, Wigan.
Facebook is good for selling and buying but you have to see it in person and when selling cash cash cash.