Hi all, I'm new here

bradleywedge

Visit site
...and needless to say I have a problem, not sure where to go with it, so thought I'd ask on the best golf forum on the internet;)

Just purchased a second hand Callaway XR16 driver. Today I was on the range hitting everything massive left with it, couldn't understand why, but when I looked down at the clubhead I noticed there was a gap between the cog and the shaft, don't know how this has happened, I have hit less that 30 balls with it, it was ok when I received it. Maybe clubhead slightly loose, not tightened correctly? Does anyone know how this could have happened?

Anyway, contacted seller who said he had not had any issues with the club, so unsure where to go from here. Is this repairable? Can I repair it myself?, is it a new shaft required? Pretty annoyed as I've only had it about 2 weeks though. never had an adjustable driver head before and pretty much lost confidence with it.

Anyone know of anybody in the north west who would be able to fix this?

20190910_155207_resized.jpg

20190910_155156.jpg

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks like the shaft has come out of the adaptor to me, whether the shaft is damaged or not hard to tell, personally would try and find a club builder to take a look at it

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't there a screw on the bottom that you can tighten, same as on Taylormade drivers ? Check out the video, how to adjust the Calloway xr16 driver

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Have you got a wrench for it. If so, loosen the shaft, push it back in, and tighten again. If it looked ok when received it may not have been tighten properly.

Worth a try !

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Isn't there a screw on the bottom that you can tighten, same as on Taylormade drivers ?
The screw just fastens the head to the adaptor.
Looks like the bond between the adaptor and the shaft has gone and the shaft is slowly pulling out as Fundy says
As long as the shaft hasn't split a decent Pro should be able to pull it and re-glue it for a few quid.
If the shaft has split then you'll need a new one.
Plenty on eBay

bradleywedge

Visit site
Thanks for the replies lads. I have unscrewed the clubhead and removed it as I have the wrench for this, I have re-attached it and tightened it, and the pics show the finished article.

Any idea how this has happened, could it have been suspect before I received it?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies lads. I have unscrewed the clubhead and removed it as I have the wrench for this, I have re-attached it and tightened it, and the pics show the finished article.

Any idea how this has happened, could it have been suspect before I received it?

probably yes, glue doesnt fail on a shaft into an adaptor overnight, may still be easier to find a club builder/club pro that does club repairs to look at it as if it is just glue it wont take them long to fix it

bradleywedge

Visit site
probably yes, glue doesnt fail on a shaft into an adaptor overnight, may still be easier to find a club builder/club pro that does club repairs to look at it as if it is just glue it wont take them long to fix it

Cheers fundy, I'll see the guy's at the driving range, just wondered if it was something I could fix myself.

D

Deleted member 21258

Welcome to the forum, hope you manage to get your shaft fixed.

bradleywedge

Visit site
I live nr Preston Liverbirdie, I have googled golf club repairs near me and nearest one that comes up is Bolton. There is also an American Golf not far away, I will give them a ring today. Obviously don't want to pay over the odds as I've forked out enough already.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I live nr Preston Liverbirdie, I have googled golf club repairs near me and nearest one that comes up is Bolton. There is also an American Golf not far away, I will give them a ring today. Obviously don't want to pay over the odds as I've forked out enough already.

I'm not sure if they do repairs but a lot of the NW lads go to Chilli dip driving range and like their customer service, may be worth giving them a call.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Weighed up the pro's and con's and decided to just buy a near new replacement shaft with cogs and grip fitted off ebay. It may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as the shaft is 1 inch shorter than a standard shaft which I prefer.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions but just felt the cost for a repair or new shaft and fitting would probably be about the same as a replacement anyway.