Putter fitting at Precision Golf

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been looking at getting a new putter for a while and debating whether to go for a fitting, after deciding that I could double it up as a lesson I decided to book myself in. I have been to PG previously for a driver fitting, so know what to expect from them and the top level service I had last time was repeated this time round. Since I was there last year they have expanded their premises and the whole set up is very top end.

I currently have an Odyssey Versa 2 ball putter, which I actually think works quite well for me with putting being a relatively strong part of my game. The area which I feel I need to work on is distance control, I can leave a long putt very short which then leads to a lot of pressure on 5-6 footers and too often a 3 putt.

The putting studio there is great, with the CAPTO analysis giving very detailed feedback on each putt. We set up on a straight and level 15 foot putt and started out with my own putter getting some data to see what was working and where we could improve, generally the results were very positive. The CAPTO system measures a large number of things, similar to what a Trackman or GC Quad would do for a full swing: path/face closure rate, launch angle, club head speed (acceleration)...plus too many others to mention. My good putts were very good, but the bad putts came from me closing the face too much and pulling left. What was consistent though was that I was de lofting the club, with a downward AoA giving me a negative launch angle. Whilst we were chatting and setting up I had made the comment that I feel I putt better on quicker greens and struggle a bit (especially on distance control on slower greens), this negative launch angle would back that up. On the better quality greens I was getting away with it more as the ball speed was not as badly affected. So far all of the data had backed up what I had been thinking in my head.

With confidence that the putter shape was working for me, we put an Odyssey OG 2 ball putter into play, shape wise this was very similar to what I currently have but the OG is a bit heavier. We discussed a small set up tweak (gripping down on the shaft a couple of inches and also moving the ball forwards in my stance), which lead to moving into a 33 inch shaft. With the new putter and the set up tweaks, the launch angle was much better and the consistency on startline was almost perfect. This set up was a contender.

We then went through trying a couple of other mallet style heads, most of which felt OK but the data wasnt as good as with the OG. I also wanted to try the more standard head shape, just to confirm that this didnt work as well for me. Again nothing felt bad, but the data was neither as good or consistent overall as with the OG. What was interesting in trying the other heads was that anything with an alignment line on I would pull it left, it was clear that I use the shape of the head and leading edge to line the putt up more successfully.

Back to comparing my current putter against the OG, and even with the set up changes the OG was giving consistently better results. We played around with the weights of the club to get everything as good as we could and settled on a final spec.

I have ended up ordering the new putter, but taking the new club out of it, it was still a very worthwhile exercise for me. The data helped turn a lot of what I was thinking into facts and has given me some good things to go away and work on.

evemccc

Visit site
I've been looking at getting a new putter for a while and debating whether to go for a fitting, after deciding that I could double it up as a lesson I decided to book myself in. I have been to PG previously for a driver fitting, so know what to expect from them and the top level service I had last time was repeated this time round. Since I was there last year they have expanded their premises and the whole set up is very top end.

I currently have an Odyssey Versa 2 ball putter, which I actually think works quite well for me with putting being a relatively strong part of my game. The area which I feel I need to work on is distance control, I can leave a long putt very short which then leads to a lot of pressure on 5-6 footers and too often a 3 putt.

The putting studio there is great, with the CAPTO analysis giving very detailed feedback on each putt. We set up on a straight and level 15 foot putt and started out with my own putter getting some data to see what was working and where we could improve, generally the results were very positive. The CAPTO system measures a large number of things, similar to what a Trackman or GC Quad would do for a full swing: path/face closure rate, launch angle, club head speed (acceleration)...plus too many others to mention. My good putts were very good, but the bad putts came from me closing the face too much and pulling left. What was consistent though was that I was de lofting the club, with a downward AoA giving me a negative launch angle. Whilst we were chatting and setting up I had made the comment that I feel I putt better on quicker greens and struggle a bit (especially on distance control on slower greens), this negative launch angle would back that up. On the better quality greens I was getting away with it more as the ball speed was not as badly affected. So far all of the data had backed up what I had been thinking in my head.

With confidence that the putter shape was working for me, we put an Odyssey OG 2 ball putter into play, shape wise this was very similar to what I currently have but the OG is a bit heavier. We discussed a small set up tweak (gripping down on the shaft a couple of inches and also moving the ball forwards in my stance), which lead to moving into a 33 inch shaft. With the new putter and the set up tweaks, the launch angle was much better and the consistency on startline was almost perfect. This set up was a contender.

We then went through trying a couple of other mallet style heads, most of which felt OK but the data wasnt as good as with the OG. I also wanted to try the more standard head shape, just to confirm that this didnt work as well for me. Again nothing felt bad, but the data was neither as good or consistent overall as with the OG. What was interesting in trying the other heads was that anything with an alignment line on I would pull it left, it was clear that I use the shape of the head and leading edge to line the putt up more successfully.

Back to comparing my current putter against the OG, and even with the set up changes the OG was giving consistently better results. We played around with the weights of the club to get everything as good as we could and settled on a final spec.

I have ended up ordering the new putter, but taking the new club out of it, it was still a very worthwhile exercise for me. The data helped turn a lot of what I was thinking into facts and has given me some good things to go away and work on.

Glad you had a good experience of fitting and made a purchase based on what you learnt about your putting stroke

Was there any discussion of putter shaft in the fitting, or all putter head and grip?

FELL75

Visit site

Had my putter fitting at precision golf 6 months ago. Certainly reduced my number of putts per round ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad you had a good experience of fitting and made a purchase based on what you learnt about your putting stroke

Was there any discussion of putter shaft in the fitting, or all putter head and grip?

We discussed shafts a bit, but with the results I had there wasn’t a need to move away from a standard shaft.

WGCRider

Visit site
I've had a putter fitting there 3 years ago and it was excellent. Exactly as you describe and gave a a lot of confidence to know I was lining it up straight and striking it well. I don't remember the fitters name, but in the end he told me my current putter is fine - go away and learn to read greens!

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apologies Steve, I have resurrected this thread, as I have also booked myself a fitting for Monday. However, of course, the last 3 rounds (since booking it), I have putted really well.
I have been using an Odyssey O-Works 7 mallet for a few years after having a few putts with it in AG, liked it and bought it but on a whim (after watching a review video on YT about it), bought a 2nd hand Black Series about 3 months ago and stuck a Superstroke Pistol grip on. As my putting with the O-Works had been spotty for months (pace control wasn't good & pulled a lot of the longer ones left), I went to the Black 2 weeks ago and this is the putter that has been working well. I am using a slightly different putter technique with the Black, so it could be something to do with that but hopefully the guys at Precision will look at it with fresh eyes.
How annoying - I will take both to the fitting anyhow but looking forward to it.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to follow on, I had my putter fitting yesterday. I took both but concentrated on the Black Series putter. Received an overload of info/data but Mick was really good at explaining it - his comment after I had had an additional 10-15 putts was that a new putter couldn't fix my issues, which was very good to hear that they wouldn't try & flog me a new putter but also depressing, as he pretty much pulled my putting technique to pieces. Basically, the pace control & pulled putts issue was caused by my technique.
However, lots of really helpful points & some things to work on which will improve those problems.
All in all, great experience, even though it was a bit humbling.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Scotty Cameron demo day at our club next week, I'm booked in.
My current putter was a raffle win, but always seemed to get on with it OK - I've tinkered around with the grip a bit recently though and have lost a bit of confidence.
Be interested to see how the Titleist Rep performs a "fitting"