Ping adjustable putter

RichA

Visit site
My Ping Heppler ZB3 putter has been great since I've had it. Annoyingly, the mechanism that allows the shaft length to be adjustable seems to be a weak point. It has recently become slightly wobbly and creaky. Not much, but enough to lose trust in it.
Has anyone experienced the same and found a solution?
My first thought was to re-shaft it, but it's a flow neck which requires a non-standard internal diameter.
My second thought is to dismantle it as far as I can and add something to the screw mechanism (PTFE tape or slow setting glue) to tighten it up, thus making it non-adjustable.
Any (sensible) suggestions gratefully received.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you get the grip off?
only guessing here but if you wind the grip section to max length will it come off.?
if it’s a long bolt system it might.
Put some expanding foam into it and put it back together in prefered length to set.

Golf WRX #9 has a video of replacing these grips On YouTube.
it’s a normal grip but an undersized shaft with a composite sleeve over it.
the bolt system seems fairly simple but must have a spring in to solidify the torque.
not sure if it has a retaining clip holding the spring to the bolt.

best guess by me would be removing the system might affect the swingweight
but if removing it the shaft could be built up with tape and a normal grip installed after cutting to length.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Can you get the grip off?
only guessing here but if you wind the grip section to max length will it come off.?
if it’s a long bolt system it might.
Put some expanding foam into it and put it back together in prefered length to set.

Golf WRX #9 has a video of replacing these grips On YouTube.
it’s a normal grip but an undersized shaft with a composite sleeve over it.
the bolt system seems fairly simple but must have a spring in to solidify the torque.
not sure if it has a retaining clip holding the spring to the bolt.

best guess by me would be removing the system might affect the swingweight
but if removing it the shaft could be built up with tape and a normal grip installed after cutting to length.
Had a tinker with it last night, having watched the same video you describe and made some assumptions about the mechanism similar to yours, which turned out to be incorrect.
For Ping, it's surprisingly under-engineered. I'm not surprised it went wobbly and I'm not surprised they've ditched it. It's a shame, when the Heppler putters were largely lauded, that the adjustable shaft basically gives them a pretty short lifespan. Then a non-standard fit for a replacement shaft is another kick.
After removing the grip I've used lithium grease to make the bolt a tight fit in the shaft then dripped superglue into a few holes in the sleeve. There's no creak or wobble now. Just need to pop a new grip on and it's back in play.