Ping iron clear epoxy.

Dilly75

Visit site
I bought a set of Ping ISI irons today from someone local on gumtree. They were only £70 and are black dot which I think will be more correct than my current red dot, maybe 0.75 deg lie isn't much but it's enough of an excuse for another set!

I was looking with my magnifying glasses to read the serial numbers to check they were a serial set as the seller had told me which they are. But I noticed the 9 iron has been glued with a clear glue which I would assume is some sort of epoxy and different from the caramel colour of the factory adhesive.

The shaft and grip look identical to the others in design, finish, label, grip wear etc so I would quite easily believe it is or could be the original shaft.

Would it be possible though that the shaft has come loose without breaking and simply needed reglued?

Also will I be able to get new Cushin shaft stickers anywhere?

Ps sorry for hogging the questions section lately!

Many thanks

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Heads can come lose so could be just that and it's been glued back on.

Finding old shaft labels will be a difficult task, you could try Ping directly but I'd be surprised if they had any.
(Cushin is a Ping brand name)

RichA

Visit site
I tried to get shaft labels from Ping a couple of years ago for a set of Eye 2 irons I'd tidied up.
Ping refused to answer a simple yes/no question as to whether they had them, saying - we don't deal with end users, get your local Ping dealer to contact us.
I found a shop who was willing to contact Ping for me to ask the same question. The answer was - no, we don't stock old shaft labels.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have used a variety of epoxy resins over the years and the colour can vary a lot.

The shaft might have been replaced but as long as it is the correct shaft, no need to worry. To check it is the correct shaft measure the distance from the top of the hosel to the first taper on the club and the two irons either side there should be a consistent half and inch gap between each (assumes it has shafts with tapers).

Dilly75

Visit site
Thanks @jim8flog. I've spoken to the seller who claims it was replaced at a pro shop local to me and a shaft had been sourced from Ping. It looks and feels sound. But I wouldn't have thought Ping would send a shaft to a pro shop and let them glue it in. I'd have expected the club head to be sent to Ping.

I have three sets of older Ping irons. Zings, ISI and i3. What's the situation if something breaks now on clubs so old. Would Ping still carry out a repair/shaft replacement, at my cost obviously. Or do they have an age cut off point?

Thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks @jim8flog. I've spoken to the seller who claims it was replaced at a pro shop local to me and a shaft had been sourced from Ping. It looks and feels sound. But I wouldn't have thought Ping would send a shaft to a pro shop and let them glue it in. I'd have expected the club head to be sent to Ping.

I have three sets of older Ping irons. Zings, ISI and i3. What's the situation if something breaks now on clubs so old. Would Ping still carry out a repair/shaft replacement, at my cost obviously. Or do they have an age cut off point?

Thanks
I would seriously doubt that Ping have any stocks of the older shafts now.

I had a set of I25 that had lost the swing weights in the back of the head (they were sent back to Ping and replaced) had I lived in the States this would not have happened because they no longer had any stock according to a couple of websites.