Iron shaft query prior to re-epoxy

Robo74

Visit site
Hi all,

First post, please be gentle;)
I did do a search prior, to see if this had been brought up previously but couldn’t see anything, so here goes.

My 7 iron head became loose following a driving range session, no great shakes as I understand this sometimes happens, I’m quite practical and like to learn new things so have decided to clean out and reapply golf epoxy myself. Upon inspection of the shaft I’ve found the tip has a ‘cap’ inserted into the shaft (pic below)…is this correct?
I’ve read that the shaft should be open? And that you should be able to see the evaporation hole (grip end) if looking down the shaft from the tip end. Do I need to remove this ‘cap’ prior to applying the epoxy…it would make sense I suppose.
My main concern is, I bought the clubs second hand with upgraded shafts, if the cap being on the shaft is incorrect is this the same for all my clubs?….appreciate i’ll not know unless I crack the heads :(

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpeg
    IMG_2815.jpeg
    962.6 KB · Views: 5

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's a tip weight..they help get the swingweight right.
Make sure the hole in the middle is clear..the air needs to escape from the hosel when you insert the shaft
If the holemis full of old glue just drill it out..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would remove the swing weight and any old epoxy in the shaft.

As per Imurg it looks like the type that as a hole in the middle and I would drill it out to remove the epoxy in it.

On the head make sure you remove all old epoxy and clean it with white spirit else the new stuff will not not set properly and the head will just come off again.

Ditto to the shaft.

Robo74

Visit site
Ok, thanks for the replies so far, really appreciated. Swing weight makes so much sense, as soon as I read Imurg’s reply I thought ‘of course it is!’ 😂 Can I re-use the swing weight or best to replace?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can reuse the swingweight just make sure it is clean of all old epoxy and to add it is probably easier to drill out the hole before removing it, they can be fiddly and there is no way of knowing it's length until you remove it, it could be just 1 mm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 35504

Melting the glue in the weight will mean there's none left in the there.

If you drill it, there might be some left in that you can't get out and it will drive you nuts rattling up and down the shaft.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Melting the glue in the weight will mean there's none left in the there.

If you drill it, there might be some left in that you can't get out and it will drive you nuts rattling up and down the shaft.

The glue does not come out just by 'melting' it. It just turns soft with the heat which means a lot can be scraped out of the shaft but not all. The residue needs to be mechanically removed.

I use a Dremmel type drill with a sanding attachment fitted for this and the head.