PayPal experts

Mandofred

Visit site
I've had an account for a long time....never used it. I'm probably buying a new putter from the US.....they want to use PayPal. Cost is $375 including shipping. I had offered to just transfer the money from a bank in the US since I have plenty of $ in that account to cover the cost.....and no conversion issues. They aren't quick to respond to emails. She will answer later today most likely.

1. They sent the PayPal request for funds to my email....in Dollars.
2. Am I able to use my UK credit card to pay this? Any conversion issues?
3. Am I able to transfer money from my US bank to PayPal instead?
4. Will I get hit with a customs bill when it gets here?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It sure about the PayPal bit but when I used to import from the states it’s was the following from USPS/DHL

5% duty
20% vat
£16.00 clearance costs

If the putter is used you should get away with the VAT, but the above is based on 2011/2012 when I last imported. Like everything else it will no doubt have gone up.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I can answer 2 & 3 as I have bought items from the US in the past, so;

2. Yes, the "British" credit/debit card attached to your PayPal account will be used without any issues. There weren't any conversion issue as the price I was quoted was in both pounds and dollars. What was quote was what I paid (eBay)

4. Yes. This is what makes buying from the US so unattractive. Not only will you pay 20% import duty (VAT) but there will be admin fees to top it up.

Mandofred

Visit site
Another question....the cost for the putter is normally $349, they know that the shipping costs were more so they dropped the price by 10%......so basically $315. $60 with FEDEX on top of that for shipping. I'm assuming the VAT etc would be on the $315?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You should pay through PayPal site not through an email!

The card register on your PayPal site will be used, you can put your US ACC on if you want to as the primary source for this transaction.
But make sure you change it again for UK buying Later.

Buying from the US is expensive now with duties and handling costs it can add 25% to cost.

For unique items no choice, can’t you find one over here ?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another question....the cost for the putter is normally $349, they know that the shipping costs were more so they dropped the price by 10%......so basically $315. $60 with FEDEX on top of that for shipping. I'm assuming the VAT etc would be on the $315?

You will pay roughly 25%
On top
Based on the declared value the seller states on shipping docket

Mandofred

Visit site
You should pay through PayPal site not through an email!

The card register on your PayPal site will be used, you can put your US ACC on if you want to as the primary source for this transaction.
But make sure you change it again for UK buying Later.

Buying from the US is expensive now with duties and handling costs it can add 25% to cost.

For unique items no choice, can’t you find one over here ?
https://www.si.com/golf/videos/side-saddle-putting-stroke-could-change-luck-on-greenLooking for a side saddle putter..... this is the small company who is making the one I'm looking at. The most popular one in the US seems to be the Bobby Grace models.....but that is about double the price. This is just an experiment....just for the fun of it. If I end up putting better, great. If not.....I'll sell it on. I've always thought the theory made more sense than "normal" putting. Do I need it?....of course not. But I can't find anything here in the UK.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, for better or worse....I did it. Easier than I thought, I just don't use PayPal so it was "scary". Linked my credit card with PayPal and shazam.....£320....at least until the customs people contact me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.si.com/golf/videos/side-saddle-putting-stroke-could-change-luck-on-greenLooking for a side saddle putter..... this is the small company who is making the one I'm looking at. The most popular one in the US seems to be the Bobby Grace models.....but that is about double the price. This is just an experiment....just for the fun of it. If I end up putting better, great. If not.....I'll sell it on. I've always thought the theory made more sense than "normal" putting. Do I need it?....of course not. But I can't find anything here in the UK.
I tried one in the US couple of weeks ago .
My impression was they are good on fast greens as you can just stroke it.
Not sure how they will be on slower UK greens.

Hope it goes well !

ThinBullet

Visit site
Is this a reputable company you're buying from or a random internet stranger? Reputable site should have a wealth of payment options, and any PayPal payment will convert automatically to UK prices for shipping as well.

If it's a random person, be very very careful they aren't pushing for payment via friends and family so you pay the fee AND there's absolutely no come back if you don't get your item.

Mandofred

Visit site
Is this a reputable company you're buying from or a random internet stranger? Reputable site should have a wealth of payment options, and any PayPal payment will convert automatically to UK prices for shipping as well.

If it's a random person, be very very careful they aren't pushing for payment via friends and family so you pay the fee AND there's absolutely no come back if you don't get your item.
No....even I'm not crazy enough to just give money to some random fellow. I ended up using my UK credit card with the PayPal request they sent me.....worked very well. I hadn't used PayPal before...I know basically how it works in theory, but....

It is a company....small, but a business. Bomar putters based in Idaho....near where I used to live.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well....I don't know how/why....but side saddle putter delivered from the US this morning and nobody charged me duty/customs. Not complaining of course....but I was expecting something to be added on.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well....I don't know how/why....but side saddle putter delivered from the US this morning and nobody charged me duty/customs. Not complaining of course....but I was expecting something to be added on.
It was either shipped DDP terms, meaning the sender paid for all of those costs, passed them on to you upfront, or you will get an invoice in the next few days to pay. I'd be amazed if it was the latter, no carrier I know would be so lax, so hopefully it was the former and you are done.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was either shipped DDP terms, meaning the sender paid for all of those costs, passed them on to you upfront, or you will get an invoice in the next few days to pay. I'd be amazed if it was the latter, no carrier I know would be so lax, so hopefully it was the former and you are done.
I have had invoices through the post up to two weeks later.

Sometimes though if it’s declared as secondhand there’s no duty on it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Seems a strange way of doing business. I'd have thought they would want money before releasing the item.....is someone going to chase you down weeks/months from now?