What constitutes a single digit handicapper post Nov 2nd?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't see those problems at all. There is no requirement to put in all cards, but cards will need to be declared in advance if you plan to do so.

When it is up and running, you will just pitch up, and if it is a comp, check your playing handicap, play your game off the tees specified for the comp, usually the same ones as every other week, write down 18 scores, hand it in, clear off and wait for the committee to issue new handicaps that evening or next morning. After a little while you will get a feel for what the likely changes will be so won't even be surprised to often.

If you are a stats nerd, like me, you will have a spreadsheet with the last 20 scores, and little formulas running so you will know before you go out that you need to score a 82 to keep the handicap the same (because that is the score about to become the 21st oldest score and thus fall out of the last 20), and that any better will reduce your handicap, and any worse will increase it with a ceiling of 86 because that is the current 9th best score and thus will be promoted into the 8 if you don't shoot a better 8th best to improve upon it.
Except the WHS would prefer that you did and because of that my club has decided to go with that...whether they need to or not - we are. All roll up scores will be included in our 20 and so gimmes gone. One reason the club gives - and that I like, is that it will be much harder to manipulate your handicap for banditry or low handicap vanity/preening.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Except the WHS would prefer that you did and because of that my club has decided to go with that...whether they need to or not - we are. All roll up scores will be included in our 20 and so gimmes gone. One reason the club gives - and that I like, is that it will be much harder to manipulate your handicap for banditry or low handicap vanity/preening.

Are they qualifying comps? If not then you don't have to hand a card in etc. Just say you're not doing it, what will they do - call the Police? The sound of sirens in the distance as you wander down the 18th...

I'm being facetious, I genuinely believe there is some mis-communication in your club.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I suspect they may end up like our roll ups, opt-in stablefords.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The whole point of WHS, besides being world wide, was to allow players to travel and their handicap to be relevant at a different course.

Playing at a more difficult course than your home course gives you, potentially, more shots and fewer at a lower rated course.

I can't see those that play at home with a group, that don't want to put cards in, will have a problem. You have to register the card prior to going out. Surely a tap in from one inch negates it being a qualifying card and a gimme in every round means it can't count.

Most won't change how many cards they put in but the system will give you a handicap however you choose to use it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm apprehensive about the new system, but I think people are reading too much into the 'hand in every card' aspect. Obviously I won't be handing in any cards from my friendly rounds because we have gimmes, and drops for lost balls, etc, and I don't believe you can base a handicap on rounds like that. So my handicap will continue to be based on comp rounds only. It's not like anyone can make you hand in social card is it? But if people do want to, I guess it's just an easier way of logging supplementary rounds like some people do already.

If I'm honest, my main concerns with the new system are because I largely understand the current system and I won't fully understand the new one until we're using it. At the moment it seems like you could have a great round but your handicap still go up if your best round was 20 rounds ago, which to me is strange. But we'll just have to see how it works.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm apprehensive about the new system, but I think people are reading too much into the 'hand in every card' aspect. Obviously I won't be handing in any cards from my friendly rounds because we have gimmes, and drops for lost balls, etc, and I don't believe you can base a handicap on rounds like that. So my handicap will continue to be based on comp rounds only. It's not like anyone can make you hand in social card is it? But if people do want to, I guess it's just an easier way of logging supplementary rounds like some people do already.

If I'm honest, my main concerns with the new system are because I largely understand the current system and I won't fully understand the new one until we're using it. At the moment it seems like you could have a great round but your handicap still go up if your best round was 20 rounds ago, which to me is strange. But we'll just have to see how it works.
why not thats how many Americans I've played with and caddies for get low handicaps, you could get yourself of 4 or lower:LOL:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You are right, it makes adding a supp easier. If the roll up wants to hand one in gimmes have never been conceded so really no change.
So in the end it depends on who you play with and how you want to interpret it. It’s nothing worth stressing about.
What is required though is the ability for Handicap Committee to request more cards if required or reported that a player is playing well beyond their handicap and the records are not available.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
It does give people opportunity to manipulate their handicap lower as well. Look at the chasing scratch guys, both got off 4 by playing 9 hole rounds because they knew they inevitably end up ‘chucking’ the round over 18 holes but could card decent scores over 9.

Fast forward a few months later and they are shooting high 80’s over 18 holes off 4 to 5 handicaps.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does give people opportunity to manipulate their handicap lower as well. Look at the chasing scratch guys, both got off 4 by playing 9 hole rounds because they knew they inevitably end up ‘chucking’ the round over 18 holes but could card decent scores over 9.

Fast forward a few months later and they are shooting high 80’s over 18 holes off 4 to 5 handicaps.

I think that is a subtle one. Would I be manipulating my handicap if I chose a course with plenty of room on the left for my hook, sorry power draw?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that is a subtle one. Would I be manipulating my handicap if I chose a course with plenty of room on the left for my hook, sorry power draw?
Or a short course that requires precision not length ? Or a course that suits a low ball flight ..... we could go on

peld

Visit site
its quite interesting. im a 15, and my club has two courses. I could play off between 11 and 18 depending on the course and tee!

badgergm

Visit site
I'm largely in the 'addressing a problem which doesn;t exist' camp - which is making handicaps transportable between countries.

It doesn't address the biggest problem - which is sandbagging - in fact it makes it worse.

There will be greater volatility in handicaps and hence lower scores will be required to win competitions. Not a good thing in my view.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Its a great system in my opinion - but I am a new golfer.

I think gaining shots on harder courses etc is absolutely brilliant. My home course is SSS 67 off white, my handicap is 19. When I played in a forum day at Coventry SSS 73 (great day and course btw) I barely scored 15 points off 19. Hows that a good system? Had I had 6 more shots it could have been a lot better for me and far more enjoyable. I accept I still wouldnt have won the day, but you can walk away happier knowing you scored 10 more points if you catch my drift.

WHS index is supposed to reflect how you're playing at that time, or as close to as possible. If you only stick in 5 cards a year at present, your handicap wont be as accurate as someone like myself, that will submit a supp twice a week. Yes the system can be manipulated by people looking for vanity caps, but they're only handicapping themselves if they regularly shoot 80+ and their index suggests they're close to scratch. Crack on with your vanity cap as far as im concerned, you wont be winning any money at our club with a vanity cap!

badgergm

Visit site

I think gaining shots on harder courses etc is absolutely brilliant. My home course is SSS 67 off white, my handicap is 19. When I played in a forum day at Coventry SSS 73 (great day and course btw) I barely scored 15 points off 19. Hows that a good system? Had I had 6 more shots it could have been a lot better for me and far more enjoyable. I accept I still wouldnt have won the day, but you can walk away happier knowing you scored 10 more points if you catch my drift.

WHS index is supposed to reflect how you're playing at that time, or as close to as possible. If you only stick in 5 cards a year at present, your handicap wont be as accurate as someone like myself, that will submit a supp twice a week. Yes the system can be manipulated by people looking for vanity caps, but they're only handicapping themselves if they regularly shoot 80+ and their index suggests they're close to scratch. Crack on with your vanity cap as far as im concerned, you wont be winning any money at our club with a vanity cap!
The WHS won’t give you give 6 extra shots because of the difference in SSS if that’s what you’re thinking. If the slope of Coventry is bigger then you will get more.

And it’s not vanity handicaps I’m worried about, it’s those people who target a high handicap for particular times of the year for example.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would argue that a 7 to 12 handicapper will be very competitive... should have the course management and distance but get a few extra shots .. you will start to alienate handicap groups with this new system.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Care to explain because I'm not seeing it. What I am seeing is a suggestion that every card needs to go in, so our friendly Tuesday night roll up with gimmes goes out the window (or we all put NR's in) and I'm looking forward to a community where a number of members who can't get their head round the fact that you can't declare a ball lost try to work out their handicap depending on what course & what tees they are playing off.

From the England Golf website;

https://www.englandgolf.org/article/world-handicap-system-whs/

Launch of universal handicapping system
When the new system is launched in 2020 it will be easy to use across cultures and will mean:

• Golfers can compete or play with anyone on a fair and equal basis
  • The game has a single measure to represent golf ability worldwide
  • Players will have consistent handicaps within a global golfing community
The current handicap system addresses point one, and I don't see points 2 & 3 as a major issue to the vast majority of golfers.

Golf has probably got much bigger problems than addressing the fact that handicaps in the UK are different to those in the USA.
Agree when’s the last time you played in an international against the USA.
So wasn’t it fair & equal before This?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

How do you get 10 more points with six more shots?