What score are you "happy" with in Stableford?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't really care. My stableford is often the same as my medal, as my blobs are usually missed putts for a point.

I am more interested in how I feel I played. Did I strike it well, drive well, putt well? A great score, when I have scrapped it might be satisfying, but is not long term sustainable. A poor round, where some great strikes didn't work out might be more satisfying, as it shows a bit more potential.

On the other hand, I might have played utter junk, but had a blast. I would take that every time.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love that you hear when playing stableford words to the effect of having a minimum target of 30 points, but have you ever heard anyone say, when playing a medal, "If I can better a nett 78 that'll be ok"

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love that you hear when playing stableford words to the effect of having a minimum target of 30 points, but have you ever heard anyone say, when playing a medal, "If I can better a nett 78 that'll be ok"

Not so sure. We had a group of guys join from another club - most are still with us after a couple of years but two left because they could not break 80 and at their previous place they could - and it was important to them that they could do so regularly (well that's what their fellows in the group told me :) )

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't really care. My stableford is often the same as my medal, as my blobs are usually missed putts for a point.

I am more interested in how I feel I played. Did I strike it well, drive well, putt well? A great score, when I have scrapped it might be satisfying, but is not long term sustainable. A poor round, where some great strikes didn't work out might be more satisfying, as it shows a bit more potential.

On the other hand, I might have played utter junk, but had a blast. I would take that every time.

You make a valid point. I've had rounds where I've felt I've hit it really nicely, had the odd bad bounce and couldn't buy a putt and come in with a mid twenty point score. Conversely I've had rounds where I scabbed it round, had to work really hard and not felt I've made a good swing or hit it well and come in at level 2's or better. What do you take away from both?

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You make a valid point. I've had rounds where I've felt I've hit it really nicely, had the odd bad bounce and couldn't buy a putt and come in with a mid twenty point score. Conversely I've had rounds where I scabbed it round, had to work really hard and not felt I've made a good swing or hit it well and come in at level 2's or better. What do you take away from both?

I think the key point in your quote is "work really hard" - you obviously dig in to finish with a good score when you feel you are all over the place. Whereas may be you get a little despondent when you don't get the rub of the green when playing better and feel you should be doing better.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm along with most folk on this.

For each point below 30, l have an increasingly miserable countenance. In buffer and I'm happy as it means l played to handicap (ie my handicap doesn't need adjusting so l played as well as is expected of me). But obviously, two massively different halves (say, 12 and 22 points) does rather knock the edge off it. Anything better than buffer and I'm chuffed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm along with most folk on this.

For each point below 30, l have an increasingly miserable countenance. In buffer and I'm happy as it means l played to handicap (ie my handicap doesn't need adjusting so l played as well as is expected of me). But obviously, two massively different halves (say, 12 and 22 points) does rather knock the edge off it. Anything better than buffer and I'm chuffed.

Then again....22pts shows huge potential 👍

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Exactly this! i don't want to diminish scrambling and scrapping for every point - worthwhile skills, however I will take better ball striking all day long and the score matters little to me. Play better golf and the score will take care of itself eventually

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In a competition, if I play below my handicap or keep it in the buffer zone, then I'm happy.

In a competition, if I don't achieve the above and end up going up by 0.1, then I'm not happy.

In a non-competitive social round, I don't worry at all as I'm usually trying different things in my game.