What score are you "happy" with in Stableford?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not often a consensus in a thread but taking out the odd outlayer, most regular golfers I talk to say similar. Below 30 disappointed, over 30 is OK but ideally looking to buffer 33-35 and that is decent. Anything over 35 is excellent.

Blobs - handicap dependent as lower caps make fewer big mistakes and can scramble better than a mid/high cap. When I was of a low 20's handicap at the start of golf it was not uncommon for me to have 4-8 blobs around. It was also not uncommon to have this on the same card as 4-8 pars

Of 16 now and am more consistent (far from that of better golfers) and on an average day - looking at 1-3. Above that now is rare. Instead of giving up once par/bogie is out of sight (used to mentally) I concentrate on every shot as it's amazing how often you can score a point or 2, even after 2/3 poor shots.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My happiness does not depend on score so much, but more on how I feel I played, but everything over 30 pts is okay-ish, 34 or better is good (and will often land you in the prizes). 37 or better is brilliant (and hasn't happend to me in ages).

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
at my home club i'd say anything under 30 is disappointing, 30-32 is OK, 33-35 good, 36+ brilliant
away i aim for 30+ points, everything over 33 is very good

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Whenever I play in a comp my aim is always to buffer if I can with the hope of playing to handicap. Anything over 36 and I'm very happy. If I struggle to shoot low 30s then usually I'm disappointed. However a lot can depend on how well I feel I've played. I do tend to judge a round afterwards on how well I've hit the ball because improving my ball striking is one of my key objectives. For some reason it feels like a hollow victory if I've shot a good score but just scabbed it round, not really hitting anything cleanly. I know that probably sounds daft because at the end of the day it's your score that counts but I place a lot of emphasis on ball striking because it's a big part of improving my game and getting to where I want to be.

Also it can depend on how the course is playing on a particular day. My home course is arguably one of the toughest courses in the north-west and sometimes low 30s can be a very good score. It's not uncommon for me to shoot 38-40 points whenever I play social rounds with friends at other courses.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Suppose 36 points are more but I am more happy if I have hit the ball well and scored less than if I shot 40 points and hit the ball pants.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Blobs; I don’t want any blobs. I get 7 shots, but aren’t guaranteed 7 x 3 pointers. Equally, there’ll be some one pointers in there. Whilst I’m blobbing someone else isn’t.

Whilst there is a score i’ll Accept, I stand on The xth tee wanting to win. A blob or 3 doesn’t help.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
30+ for me and I am happy, unless I have just wasted shots. if I have blobs I tend to disregard them (apart from realising what I did wrong and noting it for the future) and consider what my average score was for the holes I scored on. The other thing I consider is the toughness of the course. Our course is tough at the moment, penal first cut and hard/fast greens, so scoring is hard work from anywhere but the fairway.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are Cat 4, mentally knock 4 shots off your h/cap and try and get 37 pts+

If you are Cat 3, mentally knock 3 shots off your h/cap and try and get 37 pts +

etc

You'll never reach your potential by settling with buffer.

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't think I've got a score I'd be happy with prior to teeing off. I can reach all par fours in two, one of the par fives in two and the other comfortably in three so for me I'm aiming for par on every hole (except the two short par 3s, where I'm aiming to give myself a decent look for birdie).

However, realistically I'm nowhere near the level where I'm going to par even 10+ holes so I usually judge my round on how I 'feel' I've played. Somedays I'll hit the ball amazingly, but miss every putt, duff a chip or two and maybe slice a tee shot but walk off happy with 30+ points. A few rounds back, for example, I played so so well in my opinion but didn't really score well as I must have had about 6 approach shots that were perfectly struck, on line but I chose the wrong club. Irritating at the time, but ultimately pretty pleasing as once I've really nailed my distances down that would have been a great round. Other days, I'll play shockingly but hole a chip, get up and down a few times and make a few longish putt and feel irritated with 30+ points.

Ultimately, I'm looking to progress as a golfer so as long as I feel like I'm actually making that progress I'm not too fussed with how my round goes. 0.1 is nothing when you can feel a decent cut coming once you've ironed out a few faults and finally put it all together.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
CSS generally '38' so always want to play to 36; I like averages so aim for 2 points a hole, although over 3 holes I might have 1, 3, 2 or 0, 3,3 - either way I'm not disheartened as over the 3 I'm averaging 2 a hole. Keeps me on track or at least motivated to get it back.

On Saturday, went 1, 0, 2, 4, 2, 3 so back on track after 6 holes (in my head) and averaging 2 a hole. Finished with 37 which pleased me given the start, but ultimately plenty of room for improvement as the blob was on the 2nd easiest hole (driveable par 4, should be putting for birdie every time)!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm a happy chappy when it starts with a 3 but often it doesn't really tell the story of whether you played well or not

Playing well (& having fun) is the bigger priority but can easily mean a 28 pointer or less due to a small number of loose shots but with pleasing solid/sensible recovery (just maybe not good enough for a point)

If I have 30+ then I've had a good day off the tee but I could have 25 points and still have putted like a demon, just different aspects of the game

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with bobmac on this one. 36 points is acceptable nothing less. My course is 38 pts SSS off the whites and as a Cat 1, 36 would actually put me outside the buffer zone. So anything worse than that and yes I am definitely disappointed and unhappy and the cat goes on DefCon 2 when I get home.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
More focus. I use social rounds as practice. I may take shots on I wouldn't in a comps. I simply try and be more prudent with my shot allocation in a comp

Same as me. Focus. I switch off and go through the motions too much when there's no competitive edge. In contrast to some of my PPs who play much better than in practice than competition