What score are you "happy" with in Stableford?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Happy with 34, Slightly happier with 35 as it means I've broke 80 which is always nice, 36+ and I'm very happy.

I play a few times a year with old cricket mates who are social golfers and they seem to always think that 40 is a good round. They don't believe me when I tell them that this isn't how it works. I've given up negotiating on handicaps as they are always gunning for a handicap that gives them a good chance of getting to that 40 point total.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that really true though?! My 45 points off 20 I referred to above included 2 blobs. I was still quite happy with my round....

Just looked back at the scorecard on my phone:

2 x birdies
7 x pars
7 x bogeys
2 x triple bogeys

Pretty ridiculous really.

Are these net scores or gross? I'm assuming gross.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A recipe for unhappiness ! (unless your handicap is 'managed').

Your average score should be pretty much a shot outside the buffer zone, so depends on your handicap category. For me, I suppose one should be happy enough with that which would be half of your games or so. If a shot or two better than, then you are into you best 10% of games, even if that doesnt mean 36 points for many golfers, and should be please with yourself knowing you are playing in the upper end of your range. 36 or better - well they are the great days, but you wouldnt want to play this game if it takes that for you to be happy with your game.

he doesn't have a handicap, he's a pro

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
My home club comps the aim is always 32/33 or above to buffer or better... anything else is a disappointment.

If I'm playing away, especially at a new course, then anything starting with a 3 is great. If you are scoring 40+ at a new course, then you've either had the round of your life, or your handicap is a bit dodge. Last year we went to Portugal and one chap scored 43, 38 and 39, all new courses. Wrong handicap..! I scored 30, 31 & 31 and was really pleased.

For me, like others have said, keeping blobs off the card is a big one. Blobs usually means I've taken 3 off the tee and thats my biggest weakness and the part of the game I'm trying to improve.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
General consensus was we were happy if we got high 20s. I think though that comes from the fact that we don't play regularly. I think you guys are all regular players and club members, so I guess it follows you'd expect some consistency.

I need to join a club and play regularly. Just don't have the time! :(

If you were all happy then job done. The rest all makes sense. Different expectations if you play every week to someone who plays once every 3 months. They/You may be better golfers but will just not have that consistency level.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting replies here. Seems most of you expect a minimum of 32! You'd all have easily walked the competition between me and my mates then! :D:D:D

General consensus was we were happy if we got high 20s. I think though that comes from the fact that we don't play regularly. I think you guys are all regular players and club members, so I guess it follows you'd expect some consistency.

I need to join a club and play regularly. Just don't have the time! :(
Well if you were regularly scoring in the 20s that basically means your handicap is too low. Obviously we expect to be in the 30s otherwise we're not playing to our handicap, and thus it's going to go up rather than down.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My previous post did not ask how many blobs you're "happy" with, it was how may would be "ok".
Maybe I should have worded it differently along the lines of how many blobs do you usually have during a round.

Nobody "likes" a blob, but at the level that a lot of golfers play, they are somewhat inevitable.
Slice or hook your tee shot into the jungle and you're going to struggle to avoid them.

My 2 blobs yesterday weren't a result of me playing a bad round, it was just that I sliced my drive on 2 consecutive holes.
I do tend to tire towards the middle of the back 9 and my game can easily fall apart, which it didn't yesterday.
So I guess that I could say that I was OK (or dare I say "happy") with my just 2 blobs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My previous post did not ask how many blobs you're "happy" with, it was how may would be "ok".
Maybe I should have worded it differently along the lines of how many blobs do you usually have during a round.

Nobody "likes" a blob, but at the level that a lot of golfers play, they are somewhat inevitable.
Slice or hook your tee shot into the jungle and you're going to struggle to avoid them.

My 2 blobs yesterday weren't a result of me playing a bad round, it was just that I sliced my drive on 2 consecutive holes.
I do tend to tire towards the middle of the back 9 and my game can easily fall apart, which it didn't yesterday.
So I guess that I could say that I was OK (or dare I say "happy") with my just 2 blobs.
Yeah, ok. I think the cut off is probably 2 for me. No blobs I'm delighted, one or two and I think 'that's a shame, but to be expected', three blobs and that's quite disappointing. Four or more and I feel I've done poorly.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really don't care how many blobs I get, i'm far more concerns with making the most of my opportunities when things do align. So i'd be happy with 4 or less, "ok" with 5, and wanting better if i hit 6 or more... and i've seen 6 or more a few times!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play 39 points is playing to handicap off the yellows and 37 off the whites. On a average weather condition day I am probably ok with anything over 34 points.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in the day maybe 30yrs ago there was a comp run by one of the national newspapers (Daily Express I think) that had you winning something if you were able to 'keep a six off your card' in a formal club comp. I still aim for that (though rarely achieve it)

Not only did you have to keep a six off the card you also had to better your handicap by at least 3 shots. A feat I am proud to say I achieved once. What you won was a box 3 Maxfli golf balls (when Maxfli were one of the top brands).

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
he doesn't have a handicap, he's a pro

Ah. Very hard to tell then without an indication of his skill. With pros having golfing skill from rouvhly 5 to plus 5, it would depend on the individual. Some happy with 32pts, others needing 40 to feel it was a satisfactory outing.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not only did you have to keep a six off the card you also had to better your handicap by at least 3 shots. A feat I am proud to say I achieved once. What you won was a box 3 Maxfli golf balls (when Maxfli were one of the top brands).

Think I got Dunlop 65's when they were deemed to be a decent ball.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play a few times a year with old cricket mates who are social golfers and they seem to always think that 40 is a good round. They don't believe me when I tell them that this isn't how it works. I've given up negotiating on handicaps as they are always gunning for a handicap that gives them a good chance of getting to that 40 point total.

I do the same with old friends from cricket. The handicap 'negotiations' before teeing off are always funny!

Some outrageous starting bids, usually mocked and knocked down to something that's still ridiculous, but leaves them grinning like Cheshire cats on the first tee.

I have no chance of winning, and don't particularly want to, but it's all part of the fun!