What score are you "happy" with in Stableford?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played with some friends over the weekend a couple of rounds of Stableford. We're all infrequent players, no club members, so no official handicaps - just "guessed" ones. And varying ability between all of us.

We played at a couple of courses we've played once before. The range of scores we returned at the end varied massively! The highest score anyone got for a round was 31, lowest being 13!

It got me wondering - what score are you "happy" with in a Stableford format? Obviously we all want to get 32 to show we're playing at handicap - but where's your cut off point for what you consider respectable? And does that decision vary depending on if you're playing your home course or not? Would you find it easier to score well on a course you play regularly, or would you expect to return a similar score on an unfamiliar course?

Finally, do you think Stableford is easier to score well at if you're a lower handicapper compared to a high one? I know the whole point of it is that all abilities can compete, but we were finding the high handicappers were more likely to return a greater number of blobs on their scorecard, which obviously eats away at their final score.

Interested in thoughts.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it is an away course then I would take anything over 30 points. On my home points then 33 and up is the target, 37 and above and I am beaming. I had 36 on Saturday but the weather was perfect, course was in good condition so the emotions were a little mixed, there was a 38-40 there for me.

Good scoring in Stableford, for me, is about consistency. It is about scoring on every hole. Clearly you can go 1, 4 ,3 0 and it is the same as 2, 2, 2, 2 but somehow I feel the more consistent scoring will pay dividends over 18 holes. No evidence to back this up.

Regarding your last comment, by their nature higher h/c are more inconsistent. They may not play to that h/c as often as a low player. You can only artificially affect a scorecard so much, ability has to come in to it somewhere and I think Stableford does a great job of levelling the playing field just enough. I speak as a high h/c by the way so no h/c snobbery from me.

If the h/c are guessed could it be that the people getting 13 points are actually on a vanity h/c and should really be much higher?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Well, if you scored 32 in our comp on Saturday, you went up 0.1. 33 minimum to buffer, so that's what I am after before I start!

Either way, it's one hole at a time and I try and think what's the best way to ensure 2 points. 3 or better pointers take care of themselves!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously I want to buffer so 32/33 is the aim. I'm not too gutted with 30/31 as it's only just short, but below 30 points and I'll be very disappointed. Bearing in mind with my handicap, if I've only got 27 or something points then the chances are that means I've gone round in 100.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played with some friends over the weekend a couple of rounds of Stableford. We're all infrequent players, no club members, so no official handicaps - just "guessed" ones. And varying ability between all of us.

We played at a couple of courses we've played once before. The range of scores we returned at the end varied massively! The highest score anyone got for a round was 31, lowest being 13!

It got me wondering - what score are you "happy" with in a Stableford format? Obviously we all want to get 32 to show we're playing at handicap - but where's your cut off point for what you consider respectable? And does that decision vary depending on if you're playing your home course or not? Would you find it easier to score well on a course you play regularly, or would you expect to return a similar score on an unfamiliar course?

Finally, do you think Stableford is easier to score well at if you're a lower handicapper compared to a high one? I know the whole point of it is that all abilities can compete, but we were finding the high handicappers were more likely to return a greater number of blobs on their scorecard, which obviously eats away at their final score.

Interested in thoughts.

I'd say it's easier to get a big stableford score as a high handicap player. My highest was 45 points off 20. To do that now off 12, I would have to be 3 over par.

My point being, that off 20, I shot a score that was less than 50% below my handicap, off 12, I would have to be 75% below my handicap to score the same number of points. There's a much bigger difference between a round of 12 over par and a round of 3 over par, than there is between a round of 20 over par and a round of 11 over (in terms of skill and quality of golf required).

As for the qu about what I'm happy with, 34 points and I'm pleased, 30 - 33 probably satisfied but disappointed not to make buffer, below 30, disappointed.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the handicaps might be a bit on the low side, or none of you played well. Hard to say based on a one off round!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Obviously I want to buffer so 32/33 is the aim. I'm not too gutted with 30/31 as it's only just short, but below 30 points and I'll be very disappointed. Bearing in mind with my handicap, if I've only got 27 or something points then the chances are that means I've gone round in 100.

This. My handicap might be what it is and if I play to it I will get 36pts, but I know that my handicap is my 'stretch' ability and not reflective of an 'average' round - and an 'average' round for me will give me something like 32/33 pts.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly different angle - how many blobs are you okay with? At what point do the blobs start becoming an issue and psychologically affect your round?

Playing off of 22(.6), I managed to go blob free until the par 5 13th where it took me 8 to hole out (3 off the tee) - exactly the same on the par 4 14th (my nemesis hole).
Thankfully managed to go blob free thereafter, whereas recently my game has tended to fall apart on the later holes and I haven't been able to get my head back into the game.

Not too gutted about the blobs as the rest of the round made up for them - 34 points which is probably one my best scores.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't like blobbing any holes.

The first prang of frustration comes when I hit my first double. Main aim is to keep them off the card.

Aim is always for at least 36 then drops to buffer then over 30 then its been a real poor day at the office. :eek:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
33/34 and I know I've had a decent day at the office. More than that and the World is good.
Less than 30 and I've been poor.
I don't like any blobs at all as it means I need a couple of nett birdies to pull the points back and I'm not a birdie machine...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slightly different angle - how many blobs are you okay with? At what point do the blobs start becoming an issue and psychologically affect your round?

Playing off of 22(.6), I managed to go blob free until the par 5 13th where it took me 8 to hole out (3 off the tee) - exactly the same on the par 4 14th (my nemesis hole).
Thankfully managed to go blob free thereafter, whereas recently my game has tended to fall apart on the later holes and I haven't been able to get my head back into the game.

Not too gutted about the blobs as the rest of the round made up for them - 34 points which is probably one my best scores.
I expect one blob on a round, maybe two, but any blob is still disappointing. I'd only be actually happy​ with zero blobs.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I expect one blob on a round, maybe two, but any blob is still disappointing. I'd only be actually happy​ with zero blobs.

Is that really true though?! My 45 points off 20 I referred to above included 2 blobs. I was still quite happy with my round....

Just looked back at the scorecard on my phone:

2 x birdies
7 x pars
7 x bogeys
2 x triple bogeys

Pretty ridiculous really.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't like blobbing any holes.

The first prang of frustration comes when I hit my first double. Main aim is to keep them off the card.

Aim is always for at least 36 then drops to buffer then over 30 then its been a real poor day at the office. :eek:

Back in the day maybe 30yrs ago there was a comp run by one of the national newspapers (Daily Express I think) that had you winning something if you were able to 'keep a six off your card' in a formal club comp. I still aim for that (though rarely achieve it)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that really true though?! My 45 points off 20 I referred to above included 2 blobs. I was still quite happy with my round....
I think I'd be happier with 45 points no blobs than 45 with 2 blobs. Neither is bad obviously, it just feels more consistent to have not had the blobs. This is only if we're being choosey, haha. As I said, I expect to have one or two usually, it doesn't mean you're happy​ to have them.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I'd be happier with 45 points no blobs than 45 with 2 blobs. Neither is bad obviously, it just feels more consistent to have not had the blobs. This is only if we're being choosey, haha. As I said, I expect to have one or two usually, it doesn't mean you're happy​ to have them.

I would have been a bit embarrassed had I come in with 47 points though (assuming one point instead of a blob on each of the two holes). 45 was bad enough. It was just the product of a lot of hard work on my game, but only a handful of people in the clubhouse would have known that. Most would have just thought bandit!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting replies here. Seems most of you expect a minimum of 32! You'd all have easily walked the competition between me and my mates then! :D:D:D

General consensus was we were happy if we got high 20s. I think though that comes from the fact that we don't play regularly. I think you guys are all regular players and club members, so I guess it follows you'd expect some consistency.

I need to join a club and play regularly. Just don't have the time! :(

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anything under par so 36+

A recipe for unhappiness ! (unless your handicap is 'managed').

Your average score should be pretty much a shot outside the buffer zone, so depends on your handicap category. For me, I suppose one should be happy enough with that which would be half of your games or so. If a shot or two better than, then you are into you best 10% of games, even if that doesnt mean 36 points for many golfers, and should be please with yourself knowing you are playing in the upper end of your range. 36 or better - well they are the great days, but you wouldnt want to play this game if it takes that for you to be happy with your game.