Matchplay

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The number count will be very significantly different. Many thousands as opposed to hundreds.
This doesn't prove anything but a few years ago a couple of years after the 75% was upped to 100% I checked our club results and found that in that season no higher capper had beaten a lower capper.

Swango1980

Visit site
The number count will be very significantly different. Many thousands as opposed to hundreds.
This doesn't prove anything but a few years ago a couple of years after the 75% was upped to 100% I checked our club results and found that in that season no higher capper had beaten a lower capper.
In how many matches. With such a statistic, either there were very few matches, or the odds of such a pattern must have been so low you'd won a huge amount at the bookies?

If lower handicappers genuinely won 55% of the time, then the odds of a lower handicapper winning EVERY time in the following sample sizes would be:

One Match 55%
Five Matches 5.0328% (about 1 in 20)
Ten Matches 0.253295% (about 1 in 395)
Twenty Matches 0.00064158% (about 1 in 1559)
Thirty Matches 0.0000016251% (about 1 in 615,347)

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I do an analysis of our match play results most years, despite the relatively small sample size (less than 100 matches) the lower handicapper has always come out on top similar percentages to those found nationally. This changed last year after the introduction of WHS, to exactly 50:50. Be interesting to see what I find in the second year.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do an analysis of our match play results most years, despite the relatively small sample size (less than 100 matches) the lower handicapper has always come out on top similar percentages to those found nationally. This changed last year after the introduction of WHS, to exactly 50:50. Be interesting to see what I find in the second year.
Almost certainly that will be largely due to Slope, which of course is it's purpose.

D

Deleted member 23270

From what I've heard (again hearsay) it seems that low handicappers have got lower and high cappers higher so I'd expect the differential to swing towards the higher guys.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I've heard (again hearsay) it seems that low handicappers have got lower and high cappers higher so I'd expect the differential to swing towards the higher guys.
The difference between CONGU Exact and WHS Index is apparently not that great. One or two stroke at most. But if you then factor in Slope the Course Handicap will be relatively higher for the higher capper.