• Temp Testing

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Nothing

Votes: 34 54.0%

• Total voters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What items of PPE are you typically wearing/using when you go outside? I believe that as the numbers go down in many countries one of the primary things we all need to learn as lockdowns are lifted is that when it comes back (& it will) have you learned to consistently protect yourself more than you were at the start of the year?

As far as its known we're virus free here, the UK could get there in a month or two but its clear that when borders do fully reopen someone will bring it back again. Back in Jan that person had the potential to pass it to many people before they or someone they interacted with were identified/fell ill etc. So when the carrier appears again say in Sept or Oct, the number of people they can pass it to before being ID'd needs to be minimised as much as possible so that further lockdowns are not needed. That means everyone learning to use one or more items of PPE when out and about (even if no one currently has the virus)

What are you regularly wearing/using and do you see enough other people doing 'enough'?

I thought a poll would make it easier

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Mask is mandatory here when you’re out so while I’d use one anyone I don’t really have a choice, but I have multiple masks from plain washable fabric to N95
I have disposable gloves for public areas/shops etc (recommended but not mandatory)
Pocket sized Hand sanitizer used multiple times (recommended but not mandatory)
Standard sunglasses (for the limited good they do as a physical barrier to droplets)
I’m temp tested when entering a shop, arriving at work or could also be done at a roadblock (mandatory in certain areas)

I am kinda frustrated seeing people who don’t seem to be using items, perhaps because they think its already gone & they'll just worry again if it comes back (which is kinda too late)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Masks become mandatory from today. Most were wearing them anyway. Gloves in shops. Hand gel in shops. And sunglasses.

On a personal level, we also get changed when we get home.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
WARNING ON HAND GELS

As summer heats up, don't leave them in the car. Seen a few pics recently of the aftermath of them catching fire.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
When in town, amongst other folk, I pull up the snood(scarf) I wear to cover the lower half of my face... I prefer to wear cotton gloves rather than latex and these items get removed/washed on returning home... Also, we get through a fair amount of sanitiser... Believe this is gonna be the way for some time yet...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Early doors but surprised in the poll result for no PPE at all (particularly if you take the 2 overseas forumers out of the poll) As I say its early but kinda suggests that no PPE really being used outside the workplace for folks in the UK and I guess that’s down to the Gov not stipulating it to be used so maybe it’s not really a surprise

No expert of course but personally I think it can only be a matter of time before the UK introduce its use by the general public (maybe when they want to open up society further in early June)

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
WARNING ON HAND GELS

As summer heats up, don't leave them in the car. Seen a few pics recently of the aftermath of them catching fire.

My lad has received a notification of an oppo who having applied sanitiser has had his hands catch fire on touching a capacitor with a bit of a charge remaining in it...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
WARNING ON HAND GELS

I'll bear that in mind. I've had a bottle in there for the last two months on some pretty hot days. No misfortune so far
(once had a the mandatory car fire extinguisher explode on a hot day and blow out the glove box, bit of a mess!)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My wife is a nurse, she's handmade some 70 odd (so far) reusable fabric masks for family and her friends at work. We wear them when going to the supermarket or other shops, but don't wear them when out walking or golfing. I use latex glove when going to the supermarket, we use hand sanitizer whenever we get back in the car, and of course wash hands as soon as we are home. Being a half Japanese home, we never wear shoes in the house. Over all, think we are doing OK with what we do.

Thanks for the tip on sanitizer in the car, just last week I put a bottle in each car so that there was always one handy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't wear any of that nonsense. Wouldn't even know where to get it from. We have hand sanitizer sprays, I use that before entering and after leaving the shop. I've only been in a shop about twice in the last 6 weeks anyway.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't wear any of that nonsense. Wouldn't even know where to get it from. We have hand sanitizer sprays, I use that before entering and after leaving the shop. I've only been in a shop about twice in the last 6 weeks anyway.

I wouldn't really call it 'nonsense', whether or not one chooses to wear it.
That nonsense may save lives, it certainly gives people peace of mind, which is a value in it's own right.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't really call it 'nonsense', whether or not one chooses to wear it.
That nonsense may save lives, it certainly gives people peace of mind, which is a value in it's own right.
It's just that half the people are doing it wrong anyway. Wearing the same gloves multiple times, wearing the mask only half way on, etc. Makes it pretty pointless. Saw one couple who had the masks pulled off so they were dangling around their necks. Why bother bringing them?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's just that half the people are doing it wrong anyway. Wearing the same gloves multiple times, wearing the mask only half way on, etc. Makes it pretty pointless. Saw one couple who had the masks pulled off so they were dangling around their necks. Why bother bringing them?

That renders the PPE ineffective, it doesn't make the PPE nonsense ............................ but I do kinda get what you're trying to say.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think if worn correctly it may have some benefit, although we are still really being told any benefit is minor and so inconsequential. However, I tend to agree that most of the people I see wearing masks or gloves are doing it in a way that offers next to no protection, perhaps quite the opposite. If the govt are wanting people here to wear it then they need to do some education on how it is worn, when it is worn etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if worn correctly it may have some benefit, although we are still really being told any benefit is minor and so inconsequential. However, I tend to agree that most of the people I see wearing masks or gloves are doing it in a way that offers next to no protection, perhaps quite the opposite. If the govt are wanting people here to wear it then they need to do some education on how it is worn, when it is worn etc.
Generally I think you're better off washing your hands before and after than just chucking on some gloves and thinking that magically protects you.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally I think you're better off washing your hands before and after than just chucking on some gloves and thinking that magically protects you.
That is my approach as well. Listening to the health bods and scientists I am happy to continue with that. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, don't rub your eyes. It is the mantra from day 1 and they are still repeating it now.

I do understand that it gives some people comfort when they go out however and in these current times I am not going to criticize that.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We haven't really gone out shopping but if I touch ANYTHING outside, I have to be wearing gloves and wash my hands afterwards. This OTT is due to the fact that my missus is paranoid about Covid and thinks I can potentially catch it from anything I touch, even in the garage where nobody else goes. So we have plenty of gloves in the house.
It can get quite wearing at times. :cautious:
Our company is providing us with PPE for if we have to go to see customers. Masks, gloves and hand sanitizer.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

But this bit isn’t even science based
  • If you have the virus on your hand (gloved or not) you will really only get infected by sticking that hand/digit in one of the holes in your face
  • I’m sure in the past someone will have determined how many times the average adult sticks their finger in their eye’s/nose/mouth X times per day (either intentionally or as a sub-conscious reaction to itch etc)
  • I’m willing to bet that if you have gloves on you will be less likely to stick a finger in your eye/nose/mouth. Then, when you are able to wash your hands just remove gloves, wash thoroughly and poke away
  • If you have a mask on you are also much less likely to stick an appendage in your gob (either intentionally or as a sub-conscious reaction to itch etc) because there's a physical barrier in the way
In summary Masks & Gloves will reduce the number of times you stick fingers in your face, that must = a reduced risk to you of catching it?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But this bit isn’t even science based
  • If you have the virus on your hand (gloved or not) you will really only get infected by sticking that hand/digit in one of the holes in your face
  • I’m sure in the past someone will have determined how many times the average adult sticks their finger in their eye’s/nose/mouth X times per day (either intentionally or as a sub-conscious reaction to itch etc)
  • I’m willing to bet that if you have gloves on you will be less likely to stick a finger in your eye/nose/mouth. Then, when you are able to wash your hands just remove gloves, wash thoroughly and poke away
  • If you have a mask on you are also much less likely to stick an appendage in your gob (either intentionally or as a sub-conscious reaction to itch etc) because there's a physical barrier in the way
In summary Masks & Gloves will reduce the number of times you stick fingers in your face, that must = a reduced risk to you of catching it?
What about the constant adjustment, readjustment of masks? People pulling them down, pulling them up? Each time touching their faces. I've seen that repeatedly with people wearing them in supermarkets.

They only work if people stop fiddling around with them. If not they end up being worse.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only wear a snood covering my lower face. Hopefully that does the job. I have hand sanitiser in the car that I use when I have finished doing what i need to do and am heading home. Wash my hands when I get back as well and that is pretty much it.