Songs With a Different Meaning To What Is Commonly Believed

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Angels by Robbie Williams is a classic song that means different things to different people. I was on a course about death and how our senses are trigger points for our emotions both good, bad, happy, sad etc. hearing “Angels” played reminds people of hatches, matches and dispatches. Basically, christenings, weddings and funerals.
The words to songs do have meanings but to some people they interpret it differently.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen - it's just about Sex!

First one that came into my head as well - I was singing it in the kitchen the other day and the missus said "they can't possibly be the lyrics?!" She'd just never heard them like that before (butchered by me).

"There was a time you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And I remember when I moved in you
And the holy dove she was moving too
And every single breath we drew was Hallelujah"

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
10cc might be singing, "Art for art's sake, money for God's sake."

But I think that they are actually singing, "Art for a***-ache, money for guts-ache."

Phew, just edited in time before another quite justifiable Fraggerring.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
REM's The One I Love is a most definitely not a love song. 'This one goes out to the one I love, this one goes out to the one I left behind. A simple prop to occupy my time.' The band have been quoted as being shocked/amused by couples telling them it's their special song, and smooching away to it when they played it live.

Blondie's One Way or Another is not about someone desiring another person, it's actually about a stalker.

Total Eclipse of the Heart was written for a musical about vampires.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot…

Again not one I previously listened to the words too closely to, so assumed it be a simple love song, well it is, kind of, though his girl is not really behaving herself very well. And I’m not sure how I’d explain to a child what his girl was up to.