What An Amazing Day!!!!

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where to begin!!!!

Woke this morning like a little kid at christmas:D.
Got my gear together and left for the course hoping that there was going to be some cover, as the weather was looking a little dodgy to say the least.
As I was pulling into the bag drop area, I saw the truck and the tingles started again.
I went in and met Mike and Tappers and a couple of the Titleist lads, when the obligatory bacon sarnies, and in come another round of Titleist lads. That was when nerves started setting in :mad:.
After a brief chat we made our way to the truck to have a look around while they set up the trackman gear.
The tour truck is amazing and has EVERYTHING you can imagine onboard and before we went out we were given a ball fitting and a dozen of the appropriate balls (did not think we were getting this), and we were also given a goodie bag with loads of Titleist goodies including a personalised tour cap, towel, beenie hat and a players glove.

Great start!!!!

On to the fitting.

The weather was pants, blowing a gale (in our faces) but at least there was no rain.
I was being fitted by Scott, and he started me of with an AP1 6 iron with the DG XP shaft. It felt nice and trackman was showing some good stats, 115mph ball speed, 5600rpm spin and 139yrds carry (into wind:mad:). Scott suggested after using the impact board that I needed the loft adjusting +2 degrees. We tried numerous other shafts which did not feel as good as the DG and gave worse stats on trackman, until he suggested I try the KBS Tour C-Taper. Wow this shaft felt amazing and improved all my stats, 120mph ball speed, 5200 rpm spin and now upto 150yrds carry (still into wind:mad:).
After settling on the shaft he suggested we try the AP2's. We started with the KBS Tour and straight away we saw a notable difference. The spin rate climbed to 6300 rpm and in turn dropped my best to 140yrds. Now I will admit that when I was first selected my heart was already set on the AP2's before even hitting them, as I wanted to think that I could get the best out if them and that they would be the best for my game.
After completing the fitting, Scott recommended the AP1's with the KBS shafts, and I had to agree as I also felt they were the best clubs for me.

Onwards, we went to the short game area and Victor Dubuisson was trying out the new SM4 wedges. I was telling Scott about my chipping issues and he said he would help me out, so we moved to the middle of the practice straight in Victor’s line!!! and he was hitting lob wedges over our heads:eek:oo:.
The fitting for the wedges felt strange as Scott said he was doing everything by sound, and he had me hit 5 or 6 shot with all the bounce angles for the wedges he recommended. I must say that I thought they all felt great but he was more interested in the sound of the club interaction with the ground. He did explain, but I think he realised that he had confused me.
While messing around with the 50deg, I noticed that Robert Rock had turned up and he was standing behind me talking to some of the chaps, I then proceeded to shank my next two shots. I turned around a little red faced to see if he was looking, but he must have wet himself with laughter and moved on:D.
The final wedge make up was 50-8, 54-11 & 58-9 and recommended I keep the same shaft as the irons.

When he was going to head off to build the wedges, he asked if I wanted to have a look round the workshop and see what it is they do for the players. I could not believe the stock they had. They had more grips than I had ever seen, some were grips that only one tour player uses (Rory’s size and style combo is unique within the Titleist pros). He detailed some of the unusual requests that they get, for example an Australian Vokey player has the toe of his wedges removed:eek:!!!

It was then onto the photo shoot and video interviews, the part I was not looking forward to (im not photogenic and I get nervous talking to camera’s). It went of ok I think, but will reserve judgement until I see it on the website.

Back to the clubhouse for a spot of lunch and a great chat with all the team, with them telling a few interesting stories of life in the truck. Time was starting to get away and myself and David (the other lucky chap) went out and had a quick 9 holes, and it was quick as there was not a soul on the course and we were in a buggy (1hr 10mins for those that are interested).

It was then back to the truck to collect the wedges and our other goodies, before saying farewell to everybody and ending a magical experience.

A massive thanks to Mike, Neil, Tom and all the Titleist team especially Scott for an absolutely fantastic day.

Sorry if I have bored you to tears :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fantastic Richard, definitely a money can't buy experience. :D
Using AP1's is no bad thing as a few American and European tour players use them instead of the AP2's.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Fabulous my friend, and I hope for an invite in the new year to see you test them out for real

Great write up

Chris

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You might be able to make a game of it round Bearwood now Richard.:lol:

Glad you had such a good day. How long have you got to wait for the irons ?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
nice report Rich.
Really pleased it was such a good day and that you got so much out of it
expecting big things from you in 2012 what with your new bats and your great ball striking!