What a brilliant 48 hours!

tigertot

Medal Winner
Visit site
:D My first post was a few weeks ago telling the story of my 15 year old lads first 9 hole round at Horsley Lodge golf club Derbyshire.
He has continued to practice and seems to be enjoying golf much more so I invited him to join me at Longcliffe Golf Club, Loughborough for my local golf society away day.
Beautiful course, ( very tight; we discovered later that the Midlands Senior Open was to be played at the course the day after our visit!!!)
Great weather, made very welcome by the local members and the food provided was fantastic. He was a tired but very pleased bunny when he completed the 18 holes and discovered his points total exceeded that of a number of his adult competitors. Fantastic society location at a fair price. Totally recommend it.
Really social event with understanding playing partners that made for a fantastic day. The golfing addiction is starting to be passed down the generations. The lad had his first gross par on a very difficult par 4.Brilliant feeling to see the look on his face.
Yesterday played at Matlock golf course in the peak district representing the Derbyshire Constabulary against the course representative side in a match play event.
A gem of a course made better by some excellent playing partners and fabulous weather.
We were two down on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP].
I tee’d my ball from the medal pots aiming towards the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] green some 181 yards away. The hole is called “79 bridge”. It consists of a green and a tee and a massive ravine in between that has an elevated walkway across the divide. I took out my 5 iron and hit the sweetest shot right out of the middle. It was still in the air as my local playing partners both called out ”that’s close, it could cost you some money” I saw the ball pitch at the front edge of the green but a dip hid the bottom of the flag from our view.
I walked down the ravine and up the other side. Guy, one of the locals had run to the green and stood peering away, towards the rear of the green. I shouted “have you spotted it” with my heart beating and blood pressure off the scale.” Where is it, has it gone through?”
He then put me out of my misery by shouting “get over here it’s in the hole”
Unbelievable moment . Total Elation. And we won the hole!
I struck my next drive and put it into proper jungle but I then calmed down sufficiently for us to get to the last hole needing to win it to half the match. I sunk the putt and we all adjourned to the bar for a well earned drink.
As usual in these representative games we have a formal meal afterwards.
I had a fantastic night, brilliant meal and company with the Matlock team, and a taxi home as I had treated myself to golf insurance a couple of months ago when I nearly killed a European Tour professional who was last year’s leading amateur at The Open. I went for the wrong green having lost the plot through nerves. But that’s another story…………………. Sorry again Tom.
Trust me to score an Ace when 24 players are staying for a meal and the clubhouse is full!!
What a brilliant 48 hours golfing. I really don’t know if it can get any better than this.
Going to the club today to collect the car, get the scorecard formally recognised and then try and sort out some of the bar bill with the insurance company.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've played Matlock GC a few times as my MiL lives a few miles away. Very enjoyable. First time I played it I was going to play by myself (with Mrs and MiL walking around with me) when I went to 1st tee. Senior chap asked if I wanted to join him - turns out he was an ex-Captain. Very welcoming - and excellent company and round - though another time I played it was very dry and running fast and (as OP will confirm) this made it just a wee bit tricky :)

btw if you are in that part of the world Chesterfield Municipal (Tapton Park) is an interesting track...

tigertot

Medal Winner
Visit site
totally agree. excellent municpal facility. great value for money and a good test of golf.
Beleive it or not a mate of mine had an ace at the 12th (?) there last week.He was playing yesterday and shared the liquid after round de-brief.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You must feel over the moon! Congrats on your hole-in-one.... and for taking your son out... I wish my dad had done the same (lazy git that he is!)