Shortest Stroke 1 hole

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But (in a Stableford comp) you'll get that shot back on another hole and score an extra point there, so your total score will be the same.
That theory is only good for certain handicaps and would apply if you had a playing H'cap of 18 for example. Not sure it would really work for low handicap players.
When I was 6 handicap and we used SIs for match play it certainly got in to my head and on one hole in particular which went from 3 to something like 8/9 I used to think it was not worth me even bothering to tee off.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That theory is only good for certain handicaps and would apply if you had a playing H'cap of 18 for example. Not sure it would really work for low handicap players.
When I was 6 handicap and we used SIs for match play it certainly got in to my head and on one hole in particular which went from 3 to something like 8/9 I used to think it was not worth me even bothering to tee off.

Why wouldn't it work for low handicappers?

Swango1980

Visit site
Not bothering teeing off in Stableford? Did you resign yourself to a double bogey before even starting the hole? That is defeatist

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A low handicapper not capable of getting a bogey on most holes? But even then you should definitely get an extra point on an easier hole.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not bothering teeing off in Stableford? Did you resign yourself to a double bogey before even starting the hole? That is defeatist
I did not say I did not tee off just saying I felt like not teeing off

Just being realistic about my chances. The hole (par4) is always a 3 shot to the green minimum for me sharp dogleg and I cannot make the carry past the dog leg when playing in comps off the whites, and the next shot is often just a 30-50 yard shot to the middle of the dog leg next shot will often be something like a 5-7 iron to land and stay on a well guarded raised small green (hence it's very low SI for difficulty). Never unhappy to walk off with a 5 but it will often be a 6.

As said it is just phsychological and I strongly believe that setting stroke indexes based upon a single format to be totally wrong, whether that be match or stableford.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A low handicapper not capable of getting a bogey on most holes? But even then you should definitely get an extra point on an easier hole.
The same argument applies to match play. If a player does not get a shot on one particular hole it means that will get a shot on another.
On a personal basis I have very much been a double bogey, birdie eagle type of player one of my best scoring rounds for years was 8 birdies and 6 double bogeys.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I can't remember exactly when I started paying any attention to the stroke indexes of holes apart from in matchplay.
I think it was probably about 15 years after I started playing when stableford comps began to gain increased popularity.
Stableford seems to have affected a lot of players' perception about golf scores.
Your total number of shots for 18 holes is your golf score - doesn't matter how someone else has rated each hole.
Stableford is merely a novelty way of having a strokeplay competition, where some players' bad shots are not counted.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I can't remember exactly when I started paying any attention to the stroke indexes of holes apart from in matchplay.
I think it was probably about 15 years after I started playing when stableford comps began to gain increased popularity.
Stableford seems to have affected a lot of players' perception about golf scores.
Your total number of shots for 18 holes is your golf score - doesn't matter how someone else has rated each hole.
Stableford is merely a novelty way of having a strokeplay competition, where some players' bad shots are not counted.
I’d like this twice if I could!

Other than a handful of holes. I couldn’t tell you the SI of most holes on my course. I don’t care.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The same argument applies to match play. If a player does not get a shot on one particular hole it means that will get a shot on another.
This is not necessarily true because the match may have been decided by the time you get to the hole on which you would receive your shot, which is why the distribution of SI is more relevant to match play than stroke play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is not necessarily true because the match may have been decided by the time you get to the hole on which you would receive your shot, which is why the distribution of SI is more relevant to match play than stroke play.
I might have decided to NR by the time I get to a hole on which I get a shot

and so the argument goes on and on

I will say one last time on this thread- "every club should have two sets of stroke indexes so there are no disagreements"

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I might have decided to NR by the time I get to a hole on which I get a shot

and so the argument goes on and on

I will say one last time on this thread- "every club should have two sets of stroke indexes so there are no disagreements"
I have to confess I have never thought about NR'ing on the basis of a single stroke.
It's always on the basis of losing a ball for me.
There may be fewer disagreements but there would certainly be more confusion.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to confess I have never thought about NR'ing on the basis of a single stroke.
It's always on the basis of losing a ball for me.
There may be fewer disagreements but there would certainly be more confusion.
If you're NRing it's very unlikely to be dependant on getting a shot on the 17th or not. :ROFLMAO: Usually means you've had a mare, or as you say, lost a ball unexpectedly.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If you're NRing it's very unlikely to be dependant on getting a shot on the 17th or not. :ROFLMAO: Usually means you've had a mare, or as you say, lost a ball unexpectedly.

Even if NR'ing, you can now carry on with a strokeplay round anyway for handicap purposes, you just end up with nett double on the hole you didnt complete.