Shortest Stroke 1 hole

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So at my new club the Stroke 1 hole is only 376 off the yellow tees. I know distance isn't everything, and it's a tough 1st shot to leave you with a shot to the green, but it got me thinking what might be the shortest stroke 1 hole (and equally the longest stroke 18) that you know of.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
SI 1 is 408 (White), 380 (Yellow)
SI 18 is 126 and 119

Our SIs are based around Matchplay not difficulty otherwise SI 1 would be our 17th - 439y par 4 off the Whites and 426 off the Yellows.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
SI 1 is 408 (White), 380 (Yellow)
SI 18 is 126 and 119

Our SIs are based around Matchplay not difficulty otherwise SI 1 would be our 17th - 439y par 4 off the Whites and 426 off the Yellows.
Yep, typically SI's follow the Congu guidelines for exactly that reason. I always find it strange when courses have odd and even SI's in the same 9 holes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can’t remember but it isn’t a tough hole, as I recall the SI’s there are al a bit weird.

From the website

Stroke 1 from the men’s tees, based on matchplay, as the better player should have the chance to birdie this hole whilst giving a shot to his opponent.”

Swango1980

Visit site
Our stroke index 1 hole is 356 yards off yellows, Par 4 obviously.

However, you miss fairway left, you are dead in the PA. Go right you are in the trees or even lost/OB. There is a bunker places right of fairway which makes lay up tricky, as if you lay up short of it you have probably 180 yards to green minimum. There is a PA right in front of green, so that has to be carried, and the green is very shallow.

D

Deleted member 23270

So at my new club the Stroke 1 hole is only 376 off the yellow tees. I know distance isn't everything, and it's a tough 1st shot to leave you with a shot to the green, but it got me thinking what might be the shortest stroke 1 hole (and equally the longest stroke 18) that you know of.
It's the worst hole on the course. Need to remove a load of trees on the right to open up the green. Its total pot luck whether or not you have a shot into the green in summer.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've moved to having SI's dispersed for match play our SI1 is 344 yds off the back tees. Not the easiest hole with a sloping fairway and playing uphill but far from the most difficult.

IanMcC

Visit site
Probably not illegal as such, but certainly against Rules of Handicapping recommendations. See Appendix E.

Springveldt

Visit site
From the website

Stroke 1 from the men’s tees, based on matchplay, as the better player should have the chance to birdie this hole whilst giving a shot to his opponent.”
If the toughest hole is stroke index 1 then the better player has a chance to par it while the poorer is expected to bogey it. I’m not sure I agree with their reasoning here.

Our stroke index 1 is a 460 yard par 4 that typically plays into the wind. I’m often short of it after a drive and 3 hybrid if there is any type of breeze.

I’ve recently joined a second course and the SI 1 is a 418 yard par 4 which if it’s the usual SW wind should be with the wind off the right. The next hole is SI 3 and is a 425 yard par 4 that runs the opposite way so should typically play into the wind. I haven’t played it enough to see if this is true or not though, with it being a links course maybe the wind does something funky with the sea being right there to the east.

Swango1980

Visit site
When it is based on matchplay, then the lowest SIs will often generally be based in the longest holes, or at least length being the primary factor. It is why par 5's often had low SI's, even if it was deemed an easy par 5, compared to a tough par 4 somewhere else. After all, in match play the par is irrelevant, it is the longer length where the higher player is likely going to need more assistance. The caveat was that low SI's were avoided in opening holes in case it goes to play off, and they were spread out as best as possible.

Since WHS, and even before, I know some clubs have changed SI's purely based on Stableford scores.

I prefer them being set for matchplay personally. I've played some weird matches when set for Stableford, where a shot is given for a pretty basic hole yet not given for a long one. Or you could be giving 8 shots, for example, and you give 7 of those in space of 8 holes. It can feel quite relentless if you are giving them, and if getting them you might feel like you are hanging on on the consecutive non shot holes.