Well done Tiger... Again!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good to see Woods back at the top of his game. Did Sergio bottle it or just choose the wrong time to hit a poor shot. Lets turn it back to you. Playing a big honours board event and you are on your 17th knowing you are right in the mix. You then carve one off into the clag and rack up a double and lose. Did you bottle it?

I do agree that the Woods camp, perhaps in light of the Masters furore could have scored some easy PR points by getting him to wear a ribbon, even if it was just on the cap. I know he won't change from red so there was no chance of getting him to wear a pink shirt but this was definitely a missed opportunity.

I like the fact Woods is back and starting to dominate events. It dragged a whole crop of players through to raise their games and hopefully it will continue to do so

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Firstly, let me say I am a fan of Tiger, so dont put this down to a Tiger hating rant. The way he plays golf is incredible and as you can see from my sig, we Nike boys have to stick together, however, I really hope he gets a proper doing at the upcoming majors.

He has well and truly got his Tiger strutt back, and is properly bullying the world of golf again, which in my opinion is neither healthy for the sport or good entertainment for the majority of viewing/paying fans. In an ideal world, Sergios wedge at the 17th would have carried another 6 feet, he would have won by a shot and brought the Tiger down a peg or two.

Unfortunately I fear Tiger is going to go on and dominate the summer like he did all those years ago, and whether he means it or not he comes across as a very arrogant, ungracious winner. The game needs fresh blood in the big winners circles, just look at the fantastic reception Adam Scotts Masters win recieved across the golfing globe, a guy who has put in a shift over the years, come close on previous occasions and in most peoples eyes deserves a major.

By all means I hope Tiger plays well and entertains us, but I really hope (going back to my ideal world) that perhaps Luke Donald pips him at Merion, Sergio lifts the jug at Muirfield and Mr Wetwood finally gets some luck at the PGA. Would that really be so bad?

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
With all the talk of Tiger being an ungracious winner did any of you stay up long enough to see the post tournament interviews?

As for being arrogant that is part of his game, it's one of the ways he intimidates the opposition from the pre-tournament interviews.
When asked IF he is going to win he always says yes. Not, we will see how it goes but I'm not putting,chipping,driving well just a straight yes. You hear other players already planning their escape route when it all goes wrong.
This isn't arrogance from Tiger, it's self belief.

No different to any of us being confident of winning a matchplay game and talking our opponent into defeat before we have hit a single ball. The only difference is Tiger does it to the entire field on a regular basis.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
With all the talk of Tiger being an ungracious winner did any of you stay up long enough to see the post tournament interviews?

As for being arrogant that is part of his game, it's one of the ways he intimidates the opposition from the pre-tournament interviews.
When asked IF he is going to win he always says yes. Not, we will see how it goes but I'm not putting,chipping,driving well just a straight yes. You hear other players already planning their escape route when it all goes wrong.

No different to any of us being confident of winning a matchplay game and talking our opponent into defeat before we have hit a single ball. The only difference is Tiger does it to the entire field on a regular basis.

Agree totally, he had the crowd laughing with him during his speech. Also, I feel Garcia bottled it, he bottled the thought of a play off and tried to hard. He tried to force it when it wasn't required on the hardest (stroke average) hole on the course. Poor planning showing tiger was in his head.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I understand what you are saying but I still dont see it as an admirable quality.

I would sooner he showed a little humility and grace, and not the 'win at all cost and to hell with everyone' attitude that is ihis trademark. I realise that he probably wouldnt have won as much as he has without that attitude but I bet he would be a hell of a lot more popular with fans and fellow pros.

As far as talking an opponent into defeat before a ball is struck, i'm sorry but I just dont subscribe to that attitude, certainly not amongst amateurs. I play to a fairly high standard, sometimes against a lot of good county players and I can safely say nobody has ever tried that tactic on me. It just isnt in the spirit of the game and is not why I play.

S

Snelly

I understand what you are saying but I still dont see it as an admirable quality.

I would sooner he showed a little humility and grace, and not the 'win at all cost and to hell with everyone' attitude that is ihis trademark. I realise that he probably wouldnt have won as much as he has without that attitude but I bet he would be a hell of a lot more popular with fans and fellow pros.

As far as talking an opponent into defeat before a ball is struck, i'm sorry but I just dont subscribe to that attitude, certainly not amongst amateurs. I play to a fairly high standard, sometimes against a lot of good county players and I can safely say nobody has ever tried that tactic on me. It just isnt in the spirit of the game and is not why I play.

I agree with you in every sense. An excellent post.

I hope we can have a game some time.

Well said LTW.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
. Did Sergio bottle it or just choose the wrong time to hit a poor shot. Lets turn it back to you. Playing a big honours board event and you are on your 17th knowing you are right in the mix. You then carve one off into the clag and rack up a double and lose. Did you bottle it?

If 17 can be a card wrecker, has a sucker pin position, very difficult to judge the wind and players have been happy just to find the putting surface all week, and I think 2 pars will get me into a playoff, then I'm just trying to hit the green and I'll take my chances head to head unless it's against someone I don't think I can beat.

With the roles reversed, does Tiger go pin hunting on 17?

I don't think he bottled the shot, but I'm not so sure about the decision.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I really don't get this support for the underdog/underachiever attitude. It must be a British thing?

I feel privileged to be watching history before my eyes. Might not ever happen again in my lifetime.
Jack Nicklaus was said to be the exact same during his dominance, only when he got older did he become more relaxed.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Whats the amateur game got to do with the Elite at world level:confused:

Tiger: probably THE best thing to have happened to golf in the last 20 years:whoo:

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand what you are saying but I still don't see it as an admirable quality.

It's not an admirable quality to many people but it is a quality of repeated winners and not just in golf. Steve Davis had the same attitude until he retired, so did Stephen Hendry again until he retired. Micheal Shumacher was the same to the point it was almost cheating. Rossi in motogp, with over 100 wins, 9 world title with 7 of those in the top class. Nedal in tennis is another one with record wins and a stern mentality with a win at all cost attitude.

It's not a can win attitude it's a will win attitude. It's what separates the good from the great.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's what separates the good from the great.

mh6ayv_zpsc9d50a75.gif

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Firstly, let me say I am a fan of Tiger, so dont put this down to a Tiger hating rant. The way he plays golf is incredible and as you can see from my sig, we Nike boys have to stick together, however, I really hope he gets a proper doing at the upcoming majors.

He has well and truly got his Tiger strutt back, and is properly bullying the world of golf again, which in my opinion is neither healthy for the sport or good entertainment for the majority of viewing/paying fans. In an ideal world, Sergios wedge at the 17th would have carried another 6 feet, he would have won by a shot and brought the Tiger down a peg or two.

Unfortunately I fear Tiger is going to go on and dominate the summer like he did all those years ago, and whether he means it or not he comes across as a very arrogant, ungracious winner. The game needs fresh blood in the big winners circles, just look at the fantastic reception Adam Scotts Masters win recieved across the golfing globe, a guy who has put in a shift over the years, come close on previous occasions and in most peoples eyes deserves a major.

By all means I hope Tiger plays well and entertains us, but I really hope (going back to my ideal world) that perhaps Luke Donald pips him at Merion, Sergio lifts the jug at Muirfield and Mr Wetwood finally gets some luck at the PGA. Would that really be so bad?

Maybe some of this fresh blood needs a bit of their own Tiger arrogance\confidence?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sergio said afterwards that he had been striking the ball well, so on 17 decided to go for the pin. Ok, he got it wrong, but it wasn't a bottle job, more like the opposite. His caddy should have stopped him maybe?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm not sure he cares about being popular and I don't blame him. Popular doesn't win tournaments. He will have his friends on tour and in his private life, I don't see the fascination with being popular and liked by everyone? He isn't doing this to be liked, he's doing it to win golf tournaments. I'm sure if you asked a lot of the other pros Tiger is leaving in his wake if they would rather be universally liked or have Tigers ability and success they'd choose the latter.

He doesn't actually talk them into defeat though does he, he is just confident in his ability to win, if the other players want to be intimidated by that it's hardly Tigers fault.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sergio said afterwards that he had been striking the ball well, so on 17 decided to go for the pin. Ok, he got it wrong, but it wasn't a bottle job, more like the opposite. His caddy should have stopped him maybe?

What have Sergio and Rickie Fowler got in common? Both went head to head with Tiger down the stretch this season, both had a chance to win, both dumped it in the same water hazard - TWICE.

You can't blame the caddy for everything, at some point the player has to take the flack for not handling the pressure surely?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What have Sergio and Rickie Fowler got in common? Both went head to head with Tiger down the stretch this season, both had a chance to win, both dumped it in the same water hazard - TWICE.

You can't blame the caddy for everything, at some point the player has to take the flack for not handling the pressure surely?

I don't buy that Sergio couldnt handle the pressure, he clearly felt he could make the shot so went for it and had he felt he couldn't he'd have hit the green and made par and same on 18 which im pretty sure he would have done. I also don't buy the fact he felt he couldnt beat Tiger in a play off, had that been the case he'd have been as well not coming out on Thursday.

He just hit a bad shot, a bit like Tiger on the 14th tee with a 2 shot lead, did Tiger lose his bottle for a split second?

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't buy that Sergio couldnt handle the pressure, he clearly felt he could make the shot so went for it and had he felt he couldn't he'd have hit the green and made par and same on 18 which im pretty sure he would have done. I also don't buy the fact he felt he couldnt beat Tiger in a play off, had that been the case he'd have been as well not coming out on Thursday.

He just hit a bad shot, a bit like Tiger on the 14th tee with a 2 shot lead, did Tiger lose his bottle for a split second?

I agree, its not a bottle thing, it was a poor decision by Garcia, perhaps influenced by a combination of knowing 18 was a tricky hole to par potentially, wanting to try to win the event in regulation and not have a play off (regardless of it being against tiger) and his birdie on the hole earlier that day in round 3.

Fair play to him for going for it, he should have perhaps been smart enough to know that par is a good score on that when tied for the lead.