Best Clubs for Teenage Son

Dave Cotton

Visit site
My soon to be 13 yr old son has outgrown his junior clubs - he's now 160cm tall (5ft 3" in old money) so I want to get him a suitable set of clubs and some lessons to get him ready to go out on a course (up til now he's only been on the range).

I'm looking at second hand ladies clubs as I don't have a big budget - narrowed it down to Callaway X14, Cobra II OS, or TaylorMade SuperSteel Burner all with ladies flex graphite shafts as these are all in my budget range on eBay currently. I'm conscious that he will more than likely grow out of them in under 2 years as well!

Which of these could be best for him as a generalisation - any advice/recommendations welcomed. He doesn't have a fast or strong swing yet (although proper lessons could change that I guess) so looking for some that will be forgiving, light club head and easy to manage to build on his technique.

I had a set of good old Patty Bergs when I was a teen and will never forget them so want him to have a set that he will love playing with.

Any help would be really useful, cheers

IJames

Visit site
My soon to be 13 yr old son has outgrown his junior clubs - he's now 160cm tall (5ft 3" in old money) so I want to get him a suitable set of clubs and some lessons to get him ready to go out on a course (up til now he's only been on the range).

I'm looking at second hand ladies clubs as I don't have a big budget - narrowed it down to Callaway X14, Cobra II OS, or TaylorMade SuperSteel Burner all with ladies flex graphite shafts as these are all in my budget range on eBay currently. I'm conscious that he will more than likely grow out of them in under 2 years as well!

Which of these could be best for him as a generalisation - any advice/recommendations welcomed. He doesn't have a fast or strong swing yet (although proper lessons could change that I guess) so looking for some that will be forgiving, light club head and easy to manage to build on his technique.

I had a set of good old Patty Bergs when I was a teen and will never forget them so want him to have a set that he will love playing with.

Any help would be really useful, cheers
Might be useful to check the 'Similar Threads' area at the bottom of the screen. The first 2 mention 13 year olds

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the age of 13 I was a fairly strong young lad.

I think ladies clubs would have been a poor suggestion for me at that age (particularly graphite)

Why not look at clubs with reg flex but lightweight shafts.

Dilly75

Visit site
I am new to golf so just passing on what ive been told, im 47yo. I did some research and got myself a set of Ping Zing irons ace condition, £75 and regripped them myself. I asked at my first lesson yesterday about lie as I bought red dot, knowing maybe black was more suitable. I was told the difference in lie of 1 deg I will probably not notice until i become a lot more proficient. For info older Pings had 0.75deg between dot colours. It was simplified a few years ago so newer has less dot colours and 1 deg between dots.

Equally I picked up a set of black dot Ping ISI-Ks for my 15 year old son. He is small for his year and a fit slim dude at only 9 stone. He has had a couple of sessions at a kids coaching group at a different club from me and has been told his clubs are perfect for him now and for a good while into the future.

Both our sets are on steel shafts, ISI-K's and especially Zings are pretty solid irons from a weight point of view. I think id be looking for a decent forgiving standard set of something you can pick up in good condition at a good price. He doesnt want to get used to an interim set like ladies which may need changed again in a short time.

I would have bought the same clubs for my 15yo 2 years ago than I have just now. Unless he is particularly small longer term he will probably benefit more from having used the same clubs through 13, 14, 15 even if 'technically' his set was marginally a bit big or heavy.

Ive done a lot of spec reading recently and shaft length, club head weight differences etc between different mens clubs and ladies clubs are quite small amounts which maybe arent such a big deal while us newbies are learning the basics.