Well done Tiger... Again!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And as far as Woods winning it. Well I'd rather have seen someone else win - but Woods did - so that's that. No point in if then what-if blah blah. TBH I switched off when Garcia dumped it in the water twice. As far as the 17th is concerned - I'm probably out on my own thinking it's perhaps potentially too punishing for the 71st hole of a tournament - when a small mistake or piece of bad luck - not necessarily nerves - can completely change the whole shape of the finale of a tournament - so 17th is a bit too tricksy and aimed at the TV audience - in my lonely humble opinion.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you really think the chastity would rather he wore pink or donated millions? Also, if one person watching on the tv is unaware of cancer then they must live in a bubble.

it's not an either or, it can be a both. Of course everyone is aware of cancer, but why do people still die of prostate/breast cancer when it can be managed through early diagnosis.

The scenario is Tiger wears a ribbon, it raises awareness, people go and get checked out. He looks like a normal human being. everyone wins

Sports stars don't choose to be role models, this is chosen for them. They have a social responsibility.

I hear the phrase GOAT used for Tiger, there is more to that than winning golf tournaments.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
it's not an either or, it can be a both. Of course everyone is aware of cancer, but why do people still die of prostate/breast cancer when it can be managed through early diagnosis.

The scenario is Tiger wears a ribbon, it raises awareness, people go and get checked out. He looks like a normal human being. everyone wins

Sports stars don't choose to be role models, this is chosen for them. They have a social responsibility.

I hear the phrase GOAT used for Tiger, there is more to that than winning golf tournaments.

sorry but I totally disagree on most of those points.
GOAT for me that's a simple case if if his stats prove it then he is. He either beats te records or not. I want to watch the greatest golfer of all time. Not the politessed.
For the same reason I watch Vettel and O Sulivan.

As for the role model part, you chose who you want as a role model, so if he's not your cup of tea. Pick some else (less successful).

As for the charity, as has been mentioned he does lots. I can't say I saw too many ribbons on bags, lots of wearing pink and fair play to them. But woods has worn red all his career and isn't going to change that for anything. Also, it was mentioned constantly by the commentators so everyone had plenty if reminders.

I think people are just hating on him for this as they can't pick too many holes on his golf (on current form).

As they say, haters gonna hate.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just because he got a top 10 doesn't mean it was a good showing. He played ok but had too many big mistakes and his putting was dubious in the last two rounds.
Rory is another one, great start then shoots even par, plus 2 and finished with a 70. Not exactly great for the world number 2.

A top 10 is not a poor showing though

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And as far as Woods winning it. Well I'd rather have seen someone else win - but Woods did - so that's that. No point in if then what-if blah blah. TBH I switched off when Garcia dumped it in the water twice. As far as the 17th is concerned - I'm probably out on my own thinking it's perhaps potentially too punishing for the 71st hole of a tournament - when a small mistake or piece of bad luck - not necessarily nerves - can completely change the whole shape of the finale of a tournament - so 17th is a bit too tricksy and aimed at the TV audience - in my lonely humble opinion.

Its a great hole. Lets be honest here though, it's a 135 yard par 3 with a huge green. Not really that difficult by any means, I'd be disappointed to stick it in the water.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not knocking Tigers performance, but it is getting a bit boring now right? I'd much prefer a different winner each week!!

Wouldn't we all, but it seems not only was Tiger head and shoulders above everyone else before all his issues came out, he is still head and shoulders above everyone else now he's back on his game. There are players like McIlroy who are capable of playing as well if not better than Tiger from time to time, but none who can repeatedly compete at the top of the leaderboard every time they tee it up.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
As they say, haters gonna hate.

not a hater, just think he could do more. Giving to charity is admirable, but tax deductible. Stick a ribbon on and show you care.

I do hate that phrase though. It demonstrates a lack of empathy to the other side of the discussion.

re greatest of all time, Tiger will leave a legacy, but not an all together positive one

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
not a hater, just think he could do more. Giving to charity is admirable, but tax deductable. Stick a ribbon on and show you care.

I do hate that phrase though. It demonstrates a lack of empathy to the other side of the discussion.

re greatest of all time, Tiger will leave a legacy, but not an all together positive one

You request empathy for your opinion then dig about tax deductions?!
maye. His legacy will be tainted short term, but in the history of golf I'm sure he's ability will be his true legacy. Re being a hater, I wasn't aiming at you, simply saying that there clearly are haters out there. You points have been valid, just don't agree. I don't see wearing pink or a ribbon really means you care. When I was a kid we all wore poppies and hasn't even been told what they were for.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not having a dig at his charity foundation/choice of donation, just a general point about being a multi millionaire makes it easier to give to charity. What speaks more are his actions.

Tiger certainly polarises opinion, I want to like him, I think he's good for the game, but sometimes he doesn't seem to care about his real legacy.

This isn't winning tournaments, breaking jack's major record. It's whether he'll be remembered in the same breath as Arnie or Jack. I'm not sure he will.

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Oh I totally agree he won't be remembered like that. But I don't think he's ever had that in mind. His sole target is to win. I he ends up winning the most tournaments and majors with the greatest win percentage then I'm sure he'll be content and have no regrets. Although, not exactly Martin Muther King he has Definately inspired future generations and increased multicultural involvement. Whether intentional or not, it's happened due to him.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Tiger rocks!!! It's just great TV... all golf without him is BORING!

Greatest of all time already without doubt just like Ronnie is the greatest snooker player (even though Hendry has more World Championships). Tiger closing in on the most ever PGA wins (against stronger fields) in record time too....

The man is a living legend.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not having a dig at his charity foundation/choice of donation, just a general point about being a multi millionaire makes it easier to give to charity. What speaks more are his actions.

Tiger certainly polarises opinion, I want to like him, I think he's good for the game, but sometimes he doesn't seem to care about his real legacy.

This isn't winning tournaments, breaking jack's major record. It's whether he'll be remembered in the same breath as Arnie or Jack. I'm not sure he will.

good post :thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I never knew Arnie or Jack - I do understand that both were miserable gits when playing. I'm sure Tiger will be remembered accordingly when he's a 70yr old cuddly old grandad. I'd be there cheering for him on the par 3 course at Augusta and clapping his retirement when he stands on the Swilken bridge, if I could.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Tiger rocks!!! It's just great TV... all golf without him is BORING!

Greatest of all time already without doubt just like Ronnie is the greatest snooker player (even though Hendry has more World Championships). Tiger closing in on the most ever PGA wins (against stronger fields) in record time too....

The man is a living legend.

See this gives me a bad name, the era of Player Nicklaus and Palmer was a brilliant time. Think it's harsh to compare of write off any of them. Tiger will be the best if he sets the records, not before. . Also. I like to watch Ronnie but Hendry is still greatest.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I never knew Arnie or Jack - I do understand that both were miserable gits when playing. I'm sure Tiger will be remembered accordingly when he's a 70yr old cuddly old grandad. I'd be there cheering for him on the par 3 course at Augusta and clapping his retirement when he stands on the Swilken bridge, if I could.

One thing is certain, he'll never reach the humanitarian heights of you mate !! you are such a giver :D

but then I suppose, so is he !!:thup:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thrilling stuff, especially the 17th when Sergio sank two tee shots into the water... Shame, I really wanted him to go on and win it, he has to be one of my favourite players.

As for Tiger wearing red? Who cares? Not everyone wore pink, although most did. It's not even mothers day anyway, it's the end of March :lol:

I can think of plenty to have a go at Tiger for, but for wearing his standard red on the final round? Naa, thats just crazy talk. He wears red, we know that so lets all build a bridge and get over it ;-)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well and truly BACK. But needs a major to silence any remaining doubters.
(and you really must get the dropping relief from water hazards thing sorted out. One more event like that and people will start to doubt even the Masters mistake).