Weather

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s been dry all week. Supposed to be playing every day this weekend. Usual swindle tomorrow with mates, Saturday and Sunday are rearranged competitions that were cancelled previously because of the awful weather. Forecast for the weekend is not good so ann already soaking course could be closed again. When will it end?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We are back to allowing trolleys but more rain due tonight
And tomorrow - only light rain but fuelled by a 25-30mph wind is going to make it pretty nasty on the course...
Trying to decide whether to go for it or not....
I don't mind 30mph winds, it's when the rain gets in there as well...if it's a comp I'd play
GP round..?
Probably not.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was at an away course yesterday and got a soaking. We came in after 10 holes. My home course allowed trolleys to be used for the first time in about 7 weeks. This morning, course closed again after 35 mm of rain in the past 24 hours. Bank holiday weekend and probably not much golf going to happen 🤬

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm in Lincolnshire. Like everywhere, been a really bad winter for golf courses. That being said, not been much rain this week and we finally got a full qualifying course a couple of weeks ago. Bit of rain forecast for weekend at various times, but not looking too bad. So I'm thinking I should be able to get 4 rounds of golf in during the long weekend.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our course has been closed more this year due to rainfall than in my previous 40 years as a member.
Greens and fairways are fine but seeming the rough is too wet to cut.
The routes to and from tees and greens are sodden and are easily churned up.
Imho more proper paths are required .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm honestly shocked at how much rain there is been. In all my lifetime I've never known it to rain solidly for the first three months of a year. And it still isn't done, it's raining again right now, with gale force winds as well. Saturday & Sunday relatively dry on the forecast, then monsoons on Monday again!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm honestly shocked at how much rain there is been. In all my lifetime I've never known it to rain solidly for the first three months of a year. And it still isn't done, it's raining again right now, with gale force winds as well. Saturday & Sunday relatively dry on the forecast, then monsoons on Monday again!

Got my mate up from Southampton Tuesday

Of course it's going to rain

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I felt a certain irony today when I paid for my annual season ticket having only played twice since last September.

4LEX

Visit site

It's been shocking the last few days. Just when you think spring is on the way the dark clouds gather! Played last night and just got fed up of the wind and cold. I think I'll knock it on the head for a week or so until we get some decent weather.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Raining here again. Down to 16 holes at the moment and a board event looming tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday so not sure how that will be on if we're not back to a full course. Rain due overnight and into early part of the morning. Can't remember a wetter Winter or Spring ever. We haven't had any snow of note locally and I'd almost take that and be closed for a few days and back open once it had thawed than constant rain topping up already sodden fairways and making it unplayable

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blowing a hoolie on the south coast. Proper horizontal rain. One of my fence panels has disintegrated and I’m expecting to see a trampoline go flying past at any moment.

IanMcC

Visit site
Our first qualifying comp after the winter break was supposed to be our March Monthly Medal on Sunday. After talking with the greenkeeper, we have deferred qualifiers until the end of April now. (Most April comps are pairs comps anyway. Just the April Medal that is a singles qualifier.) White tees wont go out until then, and no general play or Initial Handicap cards accepted. All weather related, of course.

Viewer

Visit site
Our first qualifying comp after the winter break was supposed to be our March Monthly Medal on Sunday. After talking with the greenkeeper, we have deferred qualifiers until the end of April now. (Most April comps are pairs comps anyway. Just the April Medal that is a singles qualifier.) White tees wont go out until then, and no general play or Initial Handicap cards accepted. All weather related, of course.
Can’t you play off the forward tees?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was a time in the past when we never closed no matter how bad the conditions (except of course for lightning). That changed with new Course and Club managers.

If players were mad enough to go out it was up to them.
I think sometimes new managers/greens committees tend to be slightly over protective.
We've always had winter rules, temp greens, temp tees , using mats, no buggies /trollies etc.
If a few idiots want to play when it's wet let them, we're in Scotland, if they close the course every time it rains god help us
Funny how course has always recovered and survived since 1905 without their input.