Weather

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been checking the weather forecasts for my area on and off for ages and it appears there is to be no let up in the rainfall. Nor any real increase in temperatures for that matter. It's got to be one of the worst weather starts to the golf season. Jesus H, I played on Tuesday and had a simple chip on to a green and the club head sank into the turf and nudged it about 5 meters forward. When the hell is decent weather coming!?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Local reservoirs have only 15% of their ‘normal’ water levels. Farmers in some areas are already being rationed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're practically in France though 😄.

Been rubbish here all year. Too much rain, no warmth. I'm still waiting for our first warm day of the year. I'm not asking for hot, just warm.
Question for the Learned fellow.....whats it normally like up there end of May/beginning or June?
Will I need full winter clobber or is it likely to be warm?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question for the Learned fellow.....whats it normally like up there end of May/beginning or June?
Will I need full winter clobber or is it likely to be warm?
It should be okay, this is a bit freaky right now. The coast is always a bit nippier than inland so bear that in mind. I live inland, Morpeth, and work in Amble on the coast. It can easily be 5c cooler at work.

You might need a jumper but you should only need a coat at that time for rain, not the cold.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It should be okay, this is a bit freaky right now. The coast is always a bit nippier than inland so bear that in mind. I live inland, Morpeth, and work in Amble on the coast. It can easily be 5c cooler at work.

You might need a jumper but you should only need a coat at that time for rain, not the cold.
Will be in Christon Bank. Last time we went it was October.....wet and wet.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was nice and warm last weekend, looks to be nice today as well and hopefully into this weekend. Still a couple of spots of rain predicted though. March and April were pretty horrendous, there's no doubt about that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had 10 day hols in UK last month, only rained one late evening, gorgeous sunshine every day, played twice too, soft ground but not wet, dunno what you're mumping about

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My place has experienced saturated fairways in a few limited areas.…something we historically have not suffered from. Yet despite acknowledging the amount of rain that has fallen these last 6mnths, there are those in my club who are convinced that the saturation is down to us removing some mature trees plus a fair number of lesser trees, and clearing of low level ‘under canopy’ scrub.

Yes the trees may well have sucked up water, but other than Feb the rain has been incessant for months and even before the Feb drier spell the water table will have been very high. But the trees and scrub are now gone, can we not just accept that and if the issue is annual we will see what we can do (if anything) to address it.

D-S

Visit site
My place has experienced saturated fairways in a few limited areas.…something we historically have not suffered from. Yet despite acknowledging the amount of rain that has fallen these last 6mnths, there are those in my club who are convinced that the saturation is down to us removing some mature trees plus a fair number of lesser trees, and clearing of low level ‘under canopy’ scrub.

Yes the trees may well have sucked up water, but other than Feb the rain has been incessant for months and even before the Feb drier spell the water table will have been very high. But the trees and scrub are now gone, can we not just accept that and if the issue is annual we will see what we can do (if anything) to address it.
Do these members know that trees don’t ‘suck up water’ in winter?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s not been particularly wet near me in the last couple of weeks. But it’s just not warming up. I’ve played only a few holes in a t-shirt so far this year and the shorts are yet to see the light of day. I usually wear them from early April through to October on the course, my rationale being that waterproofs over trousers are too warm.

And the lawn has only needed two cuts so far.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do these members know that trees don’t ‘suck up water’ in winter?
Well I know that I have expressed some scepticism to them about the amount of water trees suck up in winter…as deciduous trees drop their leaves in winter to minimise transpiration and preserve their internal water supply; if they continued to suck up water as in rest of the year maybe they wouldn’t have to drop their leaves? But it seems that these folks have decided that there is a direct correlation between tree removal on a hole and a saturated area of fairway where historically it hadn’t been 🙄

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You're practically in France though 😄.

Been rubbish here all year. Too much rain, no warmth. I'm still waiting for our first warm day of the year. I'm not asking for hot, just warm.
you missed it, it was yesterday. T-shirt weather at Arcot, absolutely lovely, came home with a big red face.

Back to freezing cold this morning though :(