Weather

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do these members know that trees don’t ‘suck up water’ in winter?
Well I know that I have expressed some scepticism to them about the amount of water trees suck up in winter…as deciduous trees drop their leaves in winter to minimise transpiration and preserve their internal water supply; if they continued to suck up water as in rest of the year maybe they wouldn’t have to drop their leaves? But it seems that these folks have decided that there is a direct correlation between tree removal on a hole and a saturated area of fairway where historically it hadn’t been 🙄
Do folks not know that the increased water absorbtion/retention effected by trees and wooded areas is not really caused by the amount of water they 'suck up'? Removal of tree and wooded areas does increase run-off. (That said though, the actual volume of rain which has fallen in March/April is still likely to be the overriding factor. And unless it was fairly large, the clearing of the area is likely to have had only minimal effect).

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Biblical this afternoon. Got soaked walking home from work. We're down to a light drizzle now. Back nine has been shut this afternoon at my place and I've got a t time booked for 10am tomorrow. Won't be bothering if on 9 open. May seems hell bent on beating Aprils record.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Played this morning. Still unseasonably cool, I’m yet to take the winter gear out of my bag and played the first half dozen holes in woolly hat and mittens. The entire 18 holes were played in three layers.

I’m not going to lie. I’m sick of it.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played this morning. Still unseasonably cool, I’m yet to take the winter gear out of my bag and played the first half dozen holes in woolly hat and mittens. The entire 18 holes were played in three layers.

I’m not going to lie. I’m sick of it.
That's global warming for you ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a nice day on the course yesterday.
We put on waterproof trousers before going out and never needed them.
Our course has a large section on top of a hill and you can see for miles. We could see the rain on some nearby hills and we had a brief period of dark thundery clouds but never got the wet stuff.
It was positively balmy as well short sleeve polo weather for some holes.

Pity the golf did not live up to the weather.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just got back from watching young Bradley Tash football training for an hour. It’s bloody freezing. Thank god for free coal.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
One more heatwave?

"Looking from Sunday September 24 to October 4, the Met Office says: "Sunday is likely to see cloud, wind, and outbreaks of rain spread across most areas, heaviest and most persistent across western hills. Next week will probably start unsettled at first, however a ridge of high pressure is likely to bring drier conditions to the south and east. As we go through the week, this may extend to most areas for a time."

Hold them to that.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Been out driving today over towards the West Midlands and Shropshire. Thrown it down most of the day.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not had half as much rain in Bayeux as forecast but there was a glorious lighting event the other night.