Vintage Golf

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm not sure if they'd class as "vintage" or not but I've been offered a set of Wilson FG-51 irons from a mate of my dads. They're gorgeous looking things and I quite fancy taking them off his hands to use at the range and the occasional casual round.

Does anyone have any information on them? Were they a decent set back in the day? Etc

For info I'm not a great ball striker and I'm aware these are blades but I figure it would help me improve with my irons.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
FG 51.jpg

If they are this model, then I believe they date from 1991-3. Great clubs - 'av 'em!
You've got nothing to lose, except a few pennies maybe. You can only increase your golfing skill by playing with them.
Be warned, you might get hooked and want something older, then something even older, then become an even bigger golfing nutcase. (my personal experience won't necessarily be yours)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm not sure if they'd class as "vintage" or not but I've been offered a set of Wilson FG-51 irons from a mate of my dads. They're gorgeous looking things and I quite fancy taking them off his hands to use at the range and the occasional casual round.

Does anyone have any information on them? Were they a decent set back in the day? Etc

For info I'm not a great ball striker and I'm aware these are blades but I figure it would help me improve with my irons.

They're a great set of irons, take them and run.
Early 1990s, forged steel, chrome plated.

Don't believe the crap about "only the best ball strikers can play blades".
Using blades will improve anyone's play.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
My 1.62s arrived today. The oldest ones were 3 Penfold Patented. They had reacted with their translucent wrappers to become a subtle shade of orange. I tried scrubbing one with little effect. Then I tried nail varnish remover. Started to see the colour come off. Sadly, getting into the dimples with any pressure proved too difficult. I think it looks worse now. Don't think I'll bother with the other two. I'm sure they are playable as they are.
I have 4 perfect ones like the Penfold on the left which had white-lined wrappers.
9 Slazenger Plus
9 Dunlop 65
1 Dunlop Warwick
And the 1939 rule book is an unmentioned bonus that the seller threw in. Marvellous!

small balls.JPG

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Rule 31 states that when two balls are within 6 inches of each other the one nearer the hole may be lifted and replaced as near as possible to its original position after the other ball has been played.

Only advert is for Royal Insurance Company, naturally. Last 3 pages is the addresses of every branch in the UK.
Newcastle branch says 41-45 Grey Street and there are big buildings on Grey Street. This might be Barluga on the groundfloor, now.
Leicester branch - it says Hotel Street, but gives no number.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Me a three pals have arranged a vintage golf game for mid November, one has ordered some blue ridge Sam sneeds, the other some Peter alliss circa 1960 so I can’t help but feel the ac108’s not being bladed are a bit like cheating

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Me a three pals have arranged a vintage golf game for mid November, one has ordered some blue ridge Sam sneeds, the other some Peter alliss circa 1960 so I can’t help but feel the ac108’s not being bladed are a bit like cheating

Great that you're trying vintage!

The first thing to remember is that we do this for enjoyment.
You'll all be unfamiliar with your clubs so will all have similar experiences, positive I hope!

If the initial remit didn't mention blades then who's to complain? :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well it’s all escalated pretty quickly - it’s now a 4 round series with each of us hosting a round and I’m off to Stevenage to pick up a set of HB&son Aldridge pinseekers (woods and irons)

The plan is one round a month through the winter (nov/dec/Jan/feb)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Well it’s all escalated pretty quickly - it’s now a 4 round series with each of us hosting a round and I’m off to Stevenage to pick up a set of HB&son Aldridge pinseekers (woods and irons)

The plan is one round a month through the winter (nov/dec/Jan/feb)

That's brilliant!

My first set of vintage irons were Harold Bird & Son Max Faulkner Avengers, still have them.

1635335816345.png

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Well I've picked them up and took them for a hit at the driving range at lunch.

I absolutely adore them. They're in mint condition considering they're the same age as me. Eben the grips looked unused (some wilson branded golf pride wrap style ones)

The feedback (and this is probably true of all blades) is phenomenal and you can tell exactly where on the club the ball was struck. I even enjoyed hitting the 4iron which, although its 24ish degrees I believe, still looks like a butter knife to my eyes.

I can see why the better players love them, especially in the lower irons, as they are so consistent and workable.

Obviously this was all at the range off a mat so the on course experience may be somewhat different but I'm a massive fan and can't wait to try them out.

20211028_135207.jpg20211028_135239.jpg20211028_140149.jpg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
They look fantastic! So glad you are pleased with them.
It really is good training for creating a more accurate swing and strike.
If you think the sole is thin, then check out how my 1967 Peter Thomson Mark Five 3-iron compares with a 1978 Wilson and a 1989 Mizuno on post #700.

I play modern golf with Ping i10 cavities and playing a game now and again with the old bats has improved my game and been great fun.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Well I've picked them up and took them for a hit at the driving range at lunch.

I absolutely adore them. They're in mint condition considering they're the same age as me. Eben the grips looked unused (some wilson branded golf pride wrap style ones)

The feedback (and this is probably true of all blades) is phenomenal and you can tell exactly where on the club the ball was struck. I even enjoyed hitting the 4iron which, although its 24ish degrees I believe, still looks like a butter knife to my eyes.

I can see why the better players love them, especially in the lower irons, as they are so consistent and workable.

Obviously this was all at the range off a mat so the on course experience may be somewhat different but I'm a massive fan and can't wait to try them out.

(y) Sounds like another convert! :)