Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Lovely! I've never bought from Japan though so don't know how import taxes etc work.

Having said that though, the description is for 3 to PW yet the pictures show a SW.
Also they refer to "Tony" Nakajima rather than Tommy, you'd expect a Japanese seller to get that right so maybe caution is the watchword.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lovely! I've never bought from Japan though so don't know how import taxes etc work.

Having said that though, the description is for 3 to PW yet the pictures show a SW.
Also they refer to "Tony" Nakajima rather than Tommy, you'd expect a Japanese seller to get that right so maybe caution is the watchword.
Yup, it’s quite hard to determine what is a good or bad price and what is straight or not but it could be just people dabbling

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All purchases now complete, Macgregor M65W driver purchased this evening.. the one I originally found went for at least £40 + postage, but the guy had this one which was just £25 and similar quality so I indulged myself.
You will be happy to know no Ping woods are in the bag, and I shall re-grip what needs doing and take them for a 9 hole round off the yellow tees. The yellow tees are the more authentic tee boxes to use for this era of clubs from what I can deduce . Although they to have been pulled back a bit. I will have to dig deeper into the club history to get a clearer picture.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought I would try and find out more about my driver purchase

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=62962.0;wap2

It’s an eye-o-matic, I am not much wiser after this article but the Hogan anecdote is rather amusing…
There are definitely holy grail versions of the wood , but mine isn’t and to be honest I don’t really buy into stuff like that. My golf purchases are usually emotionally motivated but with some financial control- although my wife thinks otherwise!!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I thought I would try and find out more about my driver purchase

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=62962.0;wap2

It’s an eye-o-matic, I am not much wiser after this article but the Hogan anecdote is rather amusing…
There are definitely holy grail versions of the wood , but mine isn’t and to be honest I don’t really buy into stuff like that. My golf purchases are usually emotionally motivated but with some financial control- although my wife thinks otherwise!!

The early versions of the M65W (model was released in the 1950s I think) had the number stamped into the wood on the toe of the sole, on later versions it was on the sole plate.

I'm not a MacGregor expert by any stretch so can't give you much more than that but it's still a very solid and playable club.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The early versions of the M65W (model was released in the 1950s I think) had the number stamped into the wood on the toe of the sole, on later versions it was on the sole plate.

I'm not a MacGregor expert by any stretch so can't give you much more than that but it's still a very solid and playable club.
This one has the number on the sole plate, so will be a later version. Not sure what the loft will be.
Just thinking how I will tee it up, now. I suspect very much like my 3 and 5 wood currently, which is low.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This one has the number on the sole plate, so will be a later version. Not sure what the loft will be.
Just thinking how I will tee it up, now. I suspect very much like my 3 and 5 wood currently, which is low.

You'll need to experiment a bit to find out what works for your swing, I have it so the equator of the ball is roughly just below the crown of the driver.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mizuno TP5 woods arrived today.. they look great hit them in the net in the garden off my long grass lawn ( some lazy tike hasn’t mowed it for 10 days!)
The sole plates liked a bit of use , now just waiting on the driver and I will give everything a little pre prep and post pics !

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not too far away at all, I'm sure something can be arranged.

Some possible courses:
  • Brampton Heath
  • Tadmarton Heath
  • Rye Hill
  • Stratford upon Avon
  • Leamington Spa
  • etc.
Rye Hill is a bit long and isn’t as well kept.
Taddy is probably of the era ?
Will investigate Brampton Heath, Leamington Spa and SuA ..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brampton Heath opened 1994-95,
SuA 1928 ?
Lemington spa was re designed but it doesn’t say when ..

I wouldn’t mind Taddy, lem or SuA

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Taddy is good, we had a small Old School meet there a few years ago.
I've not played Leamington or Stratford.
Stavereton is a decent course but it's part of the DeVere group and a bit corporate.

Happy to play any of those, and although it's only a 9 holer, Daventry looks tempting.