Vintage Golf

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qmItxyNfNJ-aQLwFBhVRgVhcPpbvViSW/view?usp=drivesdk

Tried them out tonight, need new grips. Took a bit of dialling in I was low in flight but I got the tee height with the ball just above the head. Used a red castle or blue bamboo tee and got my weight a bit back ( there is a lot of that) and hit it on the inside of my lead foot .. the trajectory improved and I started to get some impressive yardage out of it. That was with the 3 wood. The 5 wood was just good off the deck, did not challenge myself with the 3 wood off the deck.
All I can conclude is the ball is pretty much responsible for distance. Given these vintage clubs are shorter shafts if you middle them they go a good way. I suspect the modern ball offers less spin which makes the flights low .. but perhaps a soft compression ball is the answer?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4 places available for anyone interested in playing at Tadmarton Heath, vintage sets can be leant. First come first serve.
Date is 28th September tee time is 14:00 and 14:08 ..

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
9 holes tonight with driver,3, and 5 wood. Irons 3 to SW. and 8802 putter.
Started with a double, 3 wood was a cut and I was blocked out . 2nd was a 3 wood past the bunker and PW to 120yards and 30ft putt that was 1/2” short of a birdie. Started to get into it block cut the driver as I was worried about height but it was so far right I could get a 5 iron up along the green at 160ish yards. Got called through by the group in front … they peeled off to the side and I was a bit worried I might kill one of them , so carved it off but it was safe. The guy asked me what I was hitting and I showed him the Macgregor and he was impressed wits beauty. I played the par 5 in 6 strokes as I found the bunker with my 3rd as I just hit the ball straight. Next I waited for the pair on front to get to the 250yard bunker before taking the 3 wood … that club really has some power I was just short of the bunker , probably the best shot I have had on that hole all year. Left me with a choked wedge into the green. Par 3 next was just a case of working my iron required and I hit an 8 stiff . I was confused at 8 and didn’t really fancy a 3 iron off the tee so went 5 wood. Thankfully it landed in a good place but it was long enough to find the first bunker. I have to be honest my putting was not great and the 8802 is an ornament!!
But I had great fun .. bag is really heavy though will do white tees next time

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I might be able to get these ready for play on Tuesday.

forgan faces.jpg

1. A good nail-brushing with washing-up liquid.
2. Soak overnight in white vinegar. Rub off loosened rust and assess if second soaking is needed.
3. Rinse under running tap.
4. Sponging with bicarbonate of soda and water to get rid of residual acidity. Rinse again.
5. Final clean-up with Barkeeper's Friend.

Next step will be repainting the words on the backs "Power Pakt" in bronze and "American Model" in red.

And now...

Forgot to mention 2 teaspoons of salt to half pint of white vinegar. (that's about 20p worth of vinegar) in a yoghurt pot for 3 clubs.

SDC11296.JPG

All nine clubs soaking right now.
The initial scrubbing produced a lot of brown water, which was a good thing. Don't think anything will need a double soaking.

I will try to remember to do a before and after shot of the painting of the backs. I will need to get all painting done tomorrow. Phew! Might not manage it. In which case it will have to be the Dunlop Peter Thomson Mark Fives from around 1967.

Looking forward to my first trip to Tadmarton.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Well, I remembered to do a before and after photo for the painting of the 6-iron. What I forgot to do was check whether the before photo was in focus. Of course, I can't go back and re-take that photo now - idiot me!
Anyway...

SDC11301.JPG

SDC11305.JPG

BEFORE
forgan soles.jpg

AFTER
SDC11306.JPG

I think these clubs would respond well to a mechanical polishing and buffing up. But I'm not interested in an "as new" look. I want them to look 60 years old. Being too heavy handed with the paint would also be a mistake - it just looks wrong. Better to be a little patchy with it, so that they still look "what they are" in my view.
I've painted the numbers red, but the photo does not show this very well. They look good in the flesh, I think. A lot better than when purchased, anyway.

I know that I am a long way short of being a golf club restorer.
I'm a very keen titivator - that's all.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I have a 1965 book titled “The Ind Coope Book Of Golf”. It is an anthology of writings from golf journalists and famous golfers through the years from the year dot up to 1965.
Original price of 18 shillings and available in hardback at £5.38 including postage from Amazon. My copy has a pencilled 7/6 inside and that I believe is what my dad paid for it.

An extract from “This Man Longhurst” by Bob Ferrier…

"…his golfing obsessions – slow play, the pruning of a swollen rule book, and most of all the modern clubs, and golf balls that fly for miles and render obsolescent the structure and intent of almost every existing golf course – are too well known to require labouring here."

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 1965 book titled “The Ind Coope Book Of Golf”. It is an anthology of writings from golf journalists and famous golfers through the years from the year dot up to 1965.
Original price of 18 shillings and available in hardback at £5.38 including postage from Amazon. My copy has a pencilled 7/6 inside and that I believe is what my dad paid for it.

An extract from “This Man Longhurst” by Bob Ferrier…

"…his golfing obsessions – slow play, the pruning of a swollen rule book, and most of all the modern clubs, and golf balls that fly for miles and render obsolescent the structure and intent of almost every existing golf course – are too well known to require labouring here."
So was longhurst not very popular? And how big was the original rule book, as it’s quite hefty now!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Early Days

By Willie Auchterlonie (Open Champion, 1893)

"We were not nearly so particular in the matter of clubs in those days – naturally, from the force of circumstances – as we are now, and I can very well remember the sort of things that had to do duty for them at the time.
For wooden clubs, any kind of old head and old shaft we could come across was made to serve our purpose, and if they happened, by good luck, to be joined together as a complete club when they came into our possession, then so much the better. But if we chanced to get them separately, then we proceeded to fasten them together by melting own a piece of old gutta-percha ball, and most religiously would we save up any little fragments of old gutta balls that we had for this purpose, and this we would use instead of glue, and it seemed to do very well, too, as a substitute. We afterwards put on string or proper tarry ‘waupin’ if we were fortunate enough to have a piece of it, in as good an imitation of the orthodox manner as we could.
As for iron clubs of any kind, they were very difficult indeed for us to get at that time, and practically the only way in which we could ever manage to get possession of one was by going, two or three of us together, to old Bob Wilson’s smith, which stood a little way along North Street from where I have said we used to play at the lamp-posts, and there lend him a hand by working round his turning lathe for him, because he did not have steam power for this purpose, it all had to be done by hand; and then occasionally for our services in this way we would get some old or spoiled head from him, and very proud indeed we were whenever this happened.
Of course, I need scarcely say who this old Bob Wilson was, as almost every golfer knows or has heard of him. He was the first man to make iron club-heads here in St Andrews, and these heads of his make are valuable yet, both for playing with and as curiosities, especially those with the famous horse-shoe nail in them at the back of the blade."

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Went out yesterday on my own to try out the Merit Persimmons from post #666 and the recently purchased Forgan Power Pakt blades.
Hit two balls down each hole. First five holes were all-over-the-place, but got me plenty of fairway wood practice and got used to the distances that the irons go.
After that made 2 pars on 6,7, 10 and 13. Made one par on 8, 9, 11 and 12. Packed it in after 13 holes as sky looked ominous. Chucked it down on the way home so good decision.
My approximations of iron distances (No - yards)
2 -183, 3 -171, 4 -159, 5 -147, 6 -135, 7 -123, 8 -111, 9 -99, 10 -87
Chatted to pro after play to thank him for the woods and show him the irons. He measured the loft of the 9 to be 49 degrees and the 7 is 38 degrees.
Picked up a modern day 5 iron in the shop and the shaft was longer than my 3.
So I think that I am hitting these irons very well. Love the feel of them.
On the 10th hole, I had 130 to the green, uphill and against the wind. Full 6-iron shot and stopped dead pin high. That's proper vintage golf for me! (shame I missed the putt)

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Two lots bought from the same seller on ebay. Cost £19.47 inc postage total.
Signed by author hardback "Collecting Old Golf Clubs" by A A Watt. (@Crow has a copy already, naturally)
26 unused golf balls, all 1.62 size. Various - including Dunlop 65s and Warwicks, Slazenger + and Penfold Ace etc.

AA Watt.jpg

1_62 balls.jpg

I'm calling that 75p per ball and the book for free.
Good ol' ebay!

Could have put this on "I bought today" but this way we get "Vintage Golf" back on page one of Lounge for a bit. Ha ha.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Signed by author hardback "Collecting Old Golf Clubs" by A A Watt. (@Crow has a copy already, naturally)
26 unused golf balls, all 1.62 size. Various - including Dunlop 65s and Warwicks, Slazenger + and Penfold Ace etc.

View attachment 39000

View attachment 39001

Good ol' ebay!

Could have put this on "I bought today" but this way we get "Vintage Golf" back on page one of Lounge for a bit. Ha ha.
They look like gobstoppers !
It would be interesting to see how these balls behave on the modern equipment as the modern ball and vintage clubs show a small degradation ( meaning the equipment gains are actually pretty small)

Voyager EMH

Visit site
13 days since I last hit a golf ball due to non-golfing holiday in Devon. Did the same today as post #736 on my own with the same clubs. Hit two balls on each hole for nine holes.
I was a total of 7 over par for 18 holes. Two of those were 3-putts. Made 4 pars on the two par 5s.
Really got used to the distances that I can expect from these clubs. Just getting on with it and not equating distances to modern clubs is the way to go, I feel.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

View attachment 39000

View attachment 39001

Good ol' ebay!

I’ve got a copy of the book, can’t recall where or when I got it but probably from Oxfam for a pound or two. It’s interesting to me as someone interested in history of golf rather than as a collector.