Vintage Golf

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So after 161 mile trip, a bit of temptation and a couldn’t say no moment…. they are home! The seller ever so nicely threw a curve ball in last minute with “ do you want the pro or the tour woods “ so I now how both!

Both sets of woods still with HB&S branded grips in great condition, the grips on the irons a cracking a little bit we’ll see how we get on.

Full gallery on the below link,

https://postimg.cc/gallery/fz38n50

But a couple of teasers!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Harold Bird & Son weren't great ones for advertising in golf magazines so I'm very limited on dates for their clubs.

The best I could do is take a guess at late 1960s early 1970s.

My Avengers featured in a picture from 1973 and they were still being sold 10 years later!

The company started in 1929, family owned, based in Aldridge, West Mids.
Son of owner Stuart Bird sold to Robin & Sandra (daughter of Harold) Chapman in 2004 and became Harold Bird Golf, dissolved in 2011.

The below clubs are just HB without the & Son and I suspect are from the late 1950s.

1635459085065.png1635459270452.png

Some other Pinseeker models, I don't have dates for any of these. :(

1635459437334.png1635459468946.png1635459513240.png
1635459549502.png1635459606725.png

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice. The guy I purchased from has two sets of thunderbird woods that are being sent away to be refurbed. He had loads of vintage stuff so I’ve sent him the link to this thread to join up.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Nice. The guy I purchased from has two sets of thunderbird woods that are being sent away to be refurbed. He had loads of vintage stuff so I’ve sent him the link to this thread to join up.
Now surely, you are going to want a Pinseeker putter?
Just type "pinseeker putter" into ebay, there's quite a good choice!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now surely, you are going to want a Pinseeker putter?
Just type "pinseeker putter" into ebay, there's quite a good choice!

For what it’s worth I’m not a fan of the bronty, too light and too upright so that will go at some point

I know of a shop near me that will be like a gold mine for this type of stuff so will pop over tomorrow on the way to the range and see what he’s got

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Arm movements have to be precise and accurate - more like when trying to hit a treble twenty.
Forget about looking for any power or distance. The centre of the face is what you are looking for.
With a slower swing you will need to have a "later hit" so don't move your weight forward as quickly as you would when smashing it with a big ugly lump of metal. "Stay behind it" a little.
Accept the shorter distance hit and seek the pleasure of a centre-of-face hit and a straight shot with decent trajectory.
Most importantly - find what works for you with these very different implements. Be a skilled craftsman not a slogger.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Irons aren't overly different from modern clubs, the heads might be a bit smaller depending on your current set but the beauty of that is that it makes you concentrate on getting the middle of the clubface onto the ball.

The woods are where you'll need to work the hardest to achieve a decent result. As @Voyager EMH says, finding the middle is the key so swing smoothly and don't try and blast it. A well middled hit will go a surprisingly good distance with more roll out than modern drivers, although that won't be much now we're getting towards winter..
Experiment with tee height too, you'll need to get used to a lower tee height than with modern drivers and that can be a bit off-putting at first.
Don't try and steer the ball, release the head through it and you should get a nice little draw. :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
And if you can, check the iron lofts against your current set and use that to estimate distance rather than the number on the bottom.
The Pinseekers will probably be a couple of clubs weaker than your current set depending on what they are.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Experiment with tee height too, you'll need to get used to a lower tee height than with modern drivers and that can be a bit off-putting at first.
Don't try and steer the ball, release the head through it and you should get a nice little draw. :)

I’m pretty lucky here as I generally play a very low tee height anyway, my theory was to start low and work upwards.