Vintage Golf

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've bought a job lot of 8 putters today.
I'm familiar with a Spalding Cash-In and that was what caught my eye at first.

Can you give a bit more info from your "club-knowledge" brain about a few of the others. Wilson shotgun, Dunlop Peter Thomson (very thin sole), Letters banker and a right "oldie".

shotgun.jpg PT putter.jpg JL 5.jpg 9 putter.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've bought a job lot of 8 putters today.
I'm familiar with a Spalding Cash-In and that was what caught my eye at first.

Can you give a bit more info from your "club-knowledge" brain about a few of the others. Wilson shotgun, Dunlop Peter Thomson (very thin sole), Letters banker and a right "oldie".

• The Wilson looks to be from their darker period between their golden age and today's revival, maybe 1990s?
  • I have the same Dunlop Peter Thomson, I think it was the second Thomson model they brought out, probably to coincide with the Contour Sole irons of 1962, they're usually chrome plated but the chrome isn't the best wearing, it might all have worn off this one or maybe it was a brass head from the start.
  • The John Letters Banker was a very popular putter and went through a few variations, this is a later model (given away by the number 5!) but should still be a good putter.
  • I'm guessing that the Tom Stewart will be a coated shaft club. Tom Stewart was one of the biggest forging houses of the hickory era and their clubs are very well regarded. This is a blade style putter, an Anser style is not a blade, it's an Anser style. :)

Voyager EMH

Visit site
The seller did not include a close-up of all of them, but I've seen another one and I'm really hoping the third from top is one of these... Look closely.

V putter.jpg

...or it might belong in Worst Golf Purchase thread.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
So after 161 mile trip, a bit of temptation and a couldn’t say no moment…. they are home! The seller ever so nicely threw a curve ball in last minute with “ do you want the pro or the tour woods “ so I now how both!

Both sets of woods still with HB&S branded grips in great condition, the grips on the irons a cracking a little bit we’ll see how we get on.

Full gallery on the below link,

https://postimg.cc/gallery/fz38n50

But a couple of teasers!

That set-up looks absolutely superb. A blue Titliest Turfglider trolley would complete it, I feel.
Loads come up on ebay, just bide your time until one appears within an easy collect-in-person radius.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
My first clubs were Dunlop Blueflash. A few appear on Ebay, quite tempted to get some so I can chop it round with you lot!
Good luck with your search. Meanwhile two of us at least are always willing to lend a set for a game - and you would have a bit of a choice offered to you.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Yes, its amazing what crops up sometimes, particularly when the seller does not know exactly what they have got.
I'm looking at a pair of headcovers at the moment. I've got 3 sets of retro-look 1,3,5 so I would like this 2 and 4 set for £1.75 each. I might need a detour to the tip on the way home to get rid of some of the other stuff. The seller is within 5 miles.

hdcvrs.jpg hdcvrs2.jpg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
@Crow will be along shortly to advise on grips, I'm sure.

Meanwhile...I just got my headcovers - £3.50 - no other bidders - arranging collection at the moment.
There's a Peter Thomson 3-wood that I hope is playable, as I have a matching 3-10 iron set already and I bought a Peter Thomson putter last night.
You can see the edge of the bag, can't wait to tip it upside down and give it a shake.
You never know what might come out - couple of dead mice - some pre-decimal coins - Mars Bar wrapper with 5d price printed on, who knows? Oh, the anticipation!
I've clearly cropped out some rather embarrassing stuff.

PT shaft.jpg

PT 3-wood.jpg

Honestly, £3.50 for the whole lot. I'm such a cheapskate. If he's young with kids, I'll give him a bit more to assuage the guilt.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Any suggestions on grips. Currently fitted with Avon but it seems on closer inspection they are pretty cracked so May as well try and grip them.

As I'm not going to play any of my sets on a regular basis I don't really care what goes on as long as they look vintage, by which I mean that they don't have to be hard-wearing or anything.
I'll just look for something cheap like the following:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274996051683?hash=item40070abee3:g:6z4AAOSwKcFhcsQ0
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284488926850?hash=item423cdc8682:g:zRgAAOSww9ZhaJaJ

Or if I want to spend a little more then something like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291129102317?epid=1258397949&hash=item43c8a58fed:g:Ol8AAOxyeZNTU5wU

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Here is the full picture from ebay. I'm not too embarrassed now.

3pound50.jpg

Small Greban bag. No tears, zips work, no damp-damage inside and solid bottom. Headcovers are near mint condition and 3-wood will be playable (just) with a new grip.
Lets not talk about the irons for now.
I got home, after a ten-minute each way drive and being £3.50 lighter of pocket, and took the clubs out and checked all the pockets.
Then the moment I was waiting for. I gave it a little shake while still the right way up. Yes, there's something at the bottom alright.
Upside down and a few shakes and taps...

cul_de_sac.JPG

Well, you couldn't make it up - except I did, nearly.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Chops 10p each…. Defo vintage prices
Yes, I was hoping for something pre-decimal, but not bad eh?
Two halves of the teepeg - I could glue them together, maybe?
I can't identify or remember what sweeties came in those blue wrappers.
The very faded blue and white one bottom right is a fox's glacier mint wrapper - the polar bear was just visible.
I'm thinking about putting the Molitor back on ebay to get some of my money back - it is mint condition!

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
If you are referring to my new 3-wood, take a look at post #206 on page 11. @Crow has a beautiful set.
I cleaned up that 3-wood last night. It is much better than I previously thought. Nowhere near the condition of @Crow's of course, but definitely playable with a new grip.
I have a set of Peter Thomson Mark 5 irons that I have played a couple of rounds with already and the Peter Thomson putter might be arriving later this week.
All I need now is a suitable driver to go with.
Cleaned up the bag today. Also very usable. No way are 14 clubs are going in, however. 10 or 12 clubs will be a squeeze. Tried putting tubes in - only 8 would go.
Headcovers are fantastic shiny glossy things from the 1970s I would say. Really quite beautiful.
So, lets say £1 for the bag, £1 for the 3-wood and £0.75 each for the headcovers = £3.50
Now as for those irons 3, 5, 7, 9 ......................................:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Last edited: