Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Set of Prosimmon Peter Senior bats in a local charity shop - going for pennies but they look a bit naff tbh - and I'm not interested. There must be many thousands of such models of clubs and thousands of sets of each out there. Once upon a time each set would have been owned, played and treasured by someone. I suspect that most end up in a skip.

Their desirability rose quite a bit over the last year or so as new/returning golfers desperately hunted round for some clubs.
I just looked them up and they appear to be cavity backs.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
As posted yesterday on "I Played Today and..." thread, I had my first vintage game with Crow.
I used a set of Slazenger JN 2000 dating from 1973/4. I purchased these on ebay earlier this year.
I had little trouble adjusting to the irons, but the woods will take a little more practice to get a more consistent centre of face hit and desirable ball flight. Nevertheless, I completed the front nine in two over par thanks to two birdie twos and some good chip-and-one-putt elsewhere. Back nine was dreadful scoring for me as I started trying-too-hard with the driver and did a couple of three-putts.
Anyway, completely hooked to the vintage golf vibe now.
I have a couple of other sets bought this year and I can't wait to try them out. Here are the ones used yesterday.

JN 2000.jpg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
VoyagerEMH...they look lovely ( Persimmon heads? ) !
Bet they are heavy compared to todays gear?!
Yes, a bit of a heavy-head feel compared to modern clubs, but that is good, it is what they have to be.
They are what they are and to me they are Goldilocks clubs from their era.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Came as a bonus with some early Dunlop Australian Blades 3-SW bought for peanuts.
Lovely burgundy coloured grips. One piece sole plate and face insert as described above.
Owner favoured the 3-wood - it would appear!

SDC11280.JPG SDC11283.JPG

SDC11282.JPG

SDC11281.JPG

Voyager EMH

Visit site
As I mentioned earlier, I bought some Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades recently for less than £1 a club. This was in an ebay auction, seller wanted collection in person and was 20 minutes away just outside Loughborough. I've touched up some of the red numbers and the red dots on the backs. These are an early version. Later versions have black numbers and dots.

SDC11287.JPG

I'm bragging a bit here about my bargain, but how do my earlier and rarer ones, in very good condition, compare with these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124351221269?hash=item1cf3e90e15:g:y6oAAOSw6rxfbN2m

I did not buy mine to make a profit, I want to play with them. But turning £10 into £250 - it has got me thinking about having a zero cost hobby in playing vintage golf.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yours are better, but neither are worth £250.

That seller has an inflated idea of club worth, he has several similarly priced sets that have been on eBay for months and haven't sold yet and aren't likely to.

Yours were a great bargain but a 3 to SW set of Australian Blades will sell for around £50 to £75, not £250.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Had a game with @Crow yesterday at my home club.
I used the woods from post #671 and the irons from post #636.
I used the putter I bought second hand in 1977 for £5. This was my only putter from then until 1989 when I bought my first brand new putter for £25, which is the one I still use today.
I got round in three over par. Thanks mainly to 3 birdies and only 26 putts in total.
If anyone would like to own this exceptional putter, there is the exact same one on ebay right now. It has the original grip, just like mine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265225767147?hash=item3dc0b008eb:g:5wAAAOSwuclg6bHt

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Had a game with @Crow yesterday at my home club.
I used the woods from post #671 and the irons from post #636.
I used the putter I bought second hand in 1977 for £5. This was my only putter from then until 1989 when I bought my first brand new putter for £25, which is the one I still use today.
I got round in three over par. Thanks mainly to 3 birdies and only 26 putts in total.
If anyone would like to own this exceptional putter, there is the exact same one on ebay right now. It has the original grip, just like mine.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265225767147?hash=item3dc0b008eb:g:5wAAAOSwuclg6bHt

Thanks for the game @Voyager EMH , most enjoyable and I was again very impressed with your play using the vintage clubs.

(I scored 3 over par too,,,, on at least two holes :eek: )

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A coupler of nice but tired woods.

The "0" is actually what's left of the "Hand of Friendship" cleek mark used by George Nicoll, the club would have had a decal on the toe telling you what number it was, see example in pictures below.
The shaft does look beyond hope and a re-shaft would be needed, having said that though the cost of getting it done would far outweigh the cost of finding a similar, but better condition, wood on ebay.
The 2 wood here is an example, it's persimmon which yours appears to be (most of the later Nicoll woods were laminated), the Pro-Fit shaft would date it to the 1960s.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284279469386?hash=item423060754a:g:wIEAAOSwmCxfvLZU

The 4 wood was built for a lady, the small "L" stamped on the sole indicates this. Still playable but might be a bit shorter and lighter than ideal.

1630407935118.png
1630407449822.png