Very proud dad thread

D

Deleted Member 1156

Really pleased to see you are encouraging him to take up outdoor pursuits Tony instead of sitting in front of a games console all night :thup:

I used to be a bit of an athlete so enjoyed reading your post, fingers crossed he keeps improving :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really pleased to see you are encouraging him to take up outdoor pursuits Tony instead of sitting in front of a games console all night :thup:

I used to be a bit of an athlete so enjoyed reading your post, fingers crossed he keeps improving :)

Thx mate will do.

Some really inspirational reads in this thread great to see some proud parents.

gregers

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for the feedback guys.
does make you take a hard look at yourself when reading some of the posts on here,puts it all into perspective and for the grace of god/allah (other deities are available) go i.
looks like ive got to purchase a MEGAPHONE THEN.
trying to get through the wall my boy constantly builds himself,wears us all out mentally.but when we do manage it,its great to see him interact.but at his terms,;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My lad timed it to perfection, ( his words not mine, he delayed his run out on purpose ) smashed the ball clear and followed through with his kick. It caught the lad in the chest and he was crying before he hit the deck.

Wow... you must be sooooo proud of your hooligan son :confused:

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Some great posts and as a new Dad to our little 18 month old girl everyday is a proud day as she learns something new. We got given a red book by the hospital when she was born about all her firsts and to blog it and notice when she does it. Looking through the book you wouldn't think you would notice the things the book was suggested but as each day/week passed and she did them ( lifting her head up being on her tummy unaided) or (rolling over on her own) I was just amazed at how even the little things are still moments to make you proud.

But what makes me more amazed and humbled is as I read these posts is the people (you the parents) who write them are the people who make all these moments possible and we mustn't forget this. Without good parenting we aren't giving our children the best possibility in whatever situation they face. So I want to commend my parents for allowing me to get where I am and do things I loved to do and to all us younger parents to really try and set the same example that our folks and all you parents on here so obviously do!

Pass me the kleenex!!!!!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know I am not the only one with kids so I want to here your proud moments with loads of feel good factor.
I might go on a bit here.

When I was 9 I joined our local football club it was called S.O.S and was in Ilfracombe where I was born.
It had about 30 members ranging from 9-11 year olds,we travelled all over the country playing Boarding school teams.

When I was 11 we decided to make a break off club for Athletics and it was called I.C.T.
I was still in I.C.T at 21 years of age after becoming chairman at 16 and once again we travelled the country doing 10 milers and half marathons.
When I was 12 and 13 I ran in the all England cross country championships and was the 3rd best runner in Devon.

I can honestly say these were the best years of my childhood and I have life long friends of over 40 years.

Now I am a bit of a walking disaster and full of injuries and non of them due to running all football related.

Now I have a son who is 8 1/2 and he has been running for 7 months,we started running twice a week and his first run was 3 laps of the local park in 1.31,1.23 and 1.20 he now does 12 laps under 1.15 interval training.
We have also done a couple of 2 mile road runs with me along side on my bike.

Well last week he got asked to run for his school in the school cross country over a 1500 metre course against all the local schools up to 11 years of age boys and girls together.
I can tell you now it was so badly organised it was untrue but that's a long story.

So everyone started together about 350 runners around a very muddy 2 fields a couple of hills and a little bit of off roading.

He got a slow start and was about 100th after 100 yards and he found it hard to get around the mad ones who were sprinting off like headless chickens and to be fair it wasn't a spectator friendly course so I had to stand about 400 metres from the finish so I could run across to the finishing line to see him finish.
As you do when your a parent as soon as I saw him I was yelling him on and he was flying and catching others still and looking quite fresh,anyway I told him he had 400 to go and to push it and I ran to the finish.

He put in a good finish and came in the top 20[final results to be confirmed] and he was about 25 seconds behind the winner.
Not knowing any ones age it really did seem he might have only got beaten by 2 his age and they were all within 5 seconds,the first 3 were clearly older and ahead of the pack.
The good thing is it was his first race ever and his school doesn't do cross country when other schools do so I can only see improvement next time.

I was so proud and I don't mind admitting it brought a tear to my eye it brought back so many memories of good times.
Watch out in years to come Ryan Reed will be a very good runner.

I look forward to some great stories.

Just a quick update for anyone that's interested.

I took my son down to Braunton's running track recently to get him to run a timed mile just to get some sort of idea of how fast he was running.
We got there about 1.00pm after him walking around Ilfracombe golf course beforehand and told him to go off steady and speed up gradually and then finish strong he posted a time of 6m 33s and still not even 9 years old till July.

I was expecting a time in between 7 and 7.30 so I was pleasantly surprised.

On returning home I thought I would do some research on the world record for an 8 year old but could only find American times and the best was 5m 28s so about a minute behind.

He has been training hard and is improving every time he runs so will give it another go in a few months time.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know I am not the only one with kids so I want to here your proud moments with loads of feel good factor.
I might go on a bit here.

When I was 9 I joined our local football club it was called S.O.S and was in Ilfracombe where I was born.
It had about 30 members ranging from 9-11 year olds,we travelled all over the country playing Boarding school teams.

When I was 11 we decided to make a break off club for Athletics and it was called I.C.T.
I was still in I.C.T at 21 years of age after becoming chairman at 16 and once again we travelled the country doing 10 milers and half marathons.
When I was 12 and 13 I ran in the all England cross country championships and was the 3rd best runner in Devon.

I can honestly say these were the best years of my childhood and I have life long friends of over 40 years.

Now I am a bit of a walking disaster and full of injuries and non of them due to running all football related.

Now I have a son who is 8 1/2 and he has been running for 7 months,we started running twice a week and his first run was 3 laps of the local park in 1.31,1.23 and 1.20 he now does 12 laps under 1.15 interval training.
We have also done a couple of 2 mile road runs with me along side on my bike.

Well last week he got asked to run for his school in the school cross country over a 1500 metre course against all the local schools up to 11 years of age boys and girls together.
I can tell you now it was so badly organised it was untrue but that's a long story.

So everyone started together about 350 runners around a very muddy 2 fields a couple of hills and a little bit of off roading.

He got a slow start and was about 100th after 100 yards and he found it hard to get around the mad ones who were sprinting off like headless chickens and to be fair it wasn't a spectator friendly course so I had to stand about 400 metres from the finish so I could run across to the finishing line to see him finish.
As you do when your a parent as soon as I saw him I was yelling him on and he was flying and catching others still and looking quite fresh,anyway I told him he had 400 to go and to push it and I ran to the finish.

He put in a good finish and came in the top 20[final results to be confirmed] and he was about 25 seconds behind the winner.
Not knowing any ones age it really did seem he might have only got beaten by 2 his age and they were all within 5 seconds,the first 3 were clearly older and ahead of the pack.
The good thing is it was his first race ever and his school doesn't do cross country when other schools do so I can only see improvement next time.

I was so proud and I don't mind admitting it brought a tear to my eye it brought back so many memories of good times.
Watch out in years to come Ryan Reed will be a very good runner.

I look forward to some great stories.

Just going back over this thread and there were some inspirational stories and well worth starting.

Just an update Ryan is still running which is good

Last week he completed the same race as above and came home first,he has been training very hard and I knew he had improved a lot but seeing him win was a shock.

He has just starting a 6 week taster session at Taunton AC with a hope to joining the full set up soon as they have a long waiting list.

You can follow his journey on FB just type in the Boy in Blue please subscribe if you can as it gives him a boost and of course its free,thx much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just going back over this thread and there were some inspirational stories and well worth starting.

Last week he completed the same race as above and came home first,he has been training very hard and I knew he had improved a lot but seeing him win was a shock.

He has just starting a 6 week taster session at Taunton AC with a hope to joining the full set up soon as they have a long waiting list.

You can follow his journey on FB just type in the Boy in Blue please subscribe if you can as it gives him a boost and of course its free,thx much appreciated.
And we can follow on Twitter for all us non-faceache types. He's doing great Tony, tell him to keep updating as we're watching out for his posts.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Found out we are expecting baby , due in the summer so early days but cant wait to join this thread! day one I will be a very proud dad !

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ryans 2nd Somerset Schools CC today and again he came first.

He had Monday last week off school due to sickness and has had a cough and snivel most of the week so was a bit under par and had a tough battle with another boy and prevailed by about 3 yards.

Once again he has trained hard since the last run so more of the same.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

He had Monday last week off school due to sickness and has had a cough and snivel most of the week so was a bit under par and had a tough battle with another boy and prevailed by about 3 yards.

Nice one,probably made the win even better having to fight for it and not feeling 100%

D

Deleted member 16999

Great news Tony, was going to email you to ask if he was alright as Twitter has been quiet.
Great news on his run, big congratulations to him. Make sure he gets plenty of rest as his immune system will be weakened after exerting himself in his run and his sickness last week.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's awesome Tony and I'll be looking out for the name!

Very proud of my son too, ordinary background no prep school or anything like that. He passed entrance exams (11+) in 2010 to get into a grammar. Made top 100 from over 600 kids. 6 years on he gets 8 A* and 3 A's in his GCSE results. 1-2 of his classmates got 11 A* :eek:

Now doing his A-levels and from this state funded school/academy about 20% of the pupils YoY go on to Oxbridge. Fingers crossed.

PS. He obviously gets his brains from his mother :p

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's awesome Tony and I'll be looking out for the name!

Very proud of my son too, ordinary background no prep school or anything like that. He passed entrance exams (11+) in 2010 to get into a grammar. Made top 100 from over 600 kids. 6 years on he gets 8 A* and 3 A's in his GCSE results. 1-2 of his classmates got 11 A* :eek:

Now doing his A-levels and from this state funded school/academy about 20% of the pupils YoY go on to Oxbridge. Fingers crossed.

PS. He obviously gets his brains from his mother :p

Yes I think your right.

I just hope he hasn't got your looks.

That's mightily impressive results mate does make you proud doesn't it around all the crap in this world.