Very proud dad thread

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know I am not the only one with kids so I want to here your proud moments with loads of feel good factor.
I might go on a bit here.

When I was 9 I joined our local football club it was called S.O.S and was in Ilfracombe where I was born.
It had about 30 members ranging from 9-11 year olds,we travelled all over the country playing Boarding school teams.

When I was 11 we decided to make a break off club for Athletics and it was called I.C.T.
I was still in I.C.T at 21 years of age after becoming chairman at 16 and once again we travelled the country doing 10 milers and half marathons.
When I was 12 and 13 I ran in the all England cross country championships and was the 3rd best runner in Devon.

I can honestly say these were the best years of my childhood and I have life long friends of over 40 years.

Now I am a bit of a walking disaster and full of injuries and non of them due to running all football related.

Now I have a son who is 8 1/2 and he has been running for 7 months,we started running twice a week and his first run was 3 laps of the local park in 1.31,1.23 and 1.20 he now does 12 laps under 1.15 interval training.
We have also done a couple of 2 mile road runs with me along side on my bike.

Well last week he got asked to run for his school in the school cross country over a 1500 metre course against all the local schools up to 11 years of age boys and girls together.
I can tell you now it was so badly organised it was untrue but that's a long story.

So everyone started together about 350 runners around a very muddy 2 fields a couple of hills and a little bit of off roading.

He got a slow start and was about 100th after 100 yards and he found it hard to get around the mad ones who were sprinting off like headless chickens and to be fair it wasn't a spectator friendly course so I had to stand about 400 metres from the finish so I could run across to the finishing line to see him finish.
As you do when your a parent as soon as I saw him I was yelling him on and he was flying and catching others still and looking quite fresh,anyway I told him he had 400 to go and to push it and I ran to the finish.

He put in a good finish and came in the top 20[final results to be confirmed] and he was about 25 seconds behind the winner.
Not knowing any ones age it really did seem he might have only got beaten by 2 his age and they were all within 5 seconds,the first 3 were clearly older and ahead of the pack.
The good thing is it was his first race ever and his school doesn't do cross country when other schools do so I can only see improvement next time.

I was so proud and I don't mind admitting it brought a tear to my eye it brought back so many memories of good times.
Watch out in years to come Ryan Reed will be a very good runner.

I look forward to some great stories.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nice one mate, no better feeling, just make sure you man up when he wins a race and your tears don't embarass the poor lad:D

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not me but i read a blog by a CEO of an IT security company. Hi lad aged 7 had hacked their home router to switch off all the parent controls and timers the dad had set! I found that one quite funny.

Nothing amazing from mine yet, but all still young!

RR are great initials PJ, I have one of those too!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fantastic Pokerjoke, very proud Dad moment.

For us the proud parent moment was last July at school for the end of year awards ceremony. My boy is such a good natured lad, quiet emotional, very polite, gets on with most of his year but is maybe not in the cool group (rugby boys). Our kids are lucky enough to go to private school due to my wife working there and at the end of each year the school has the deputy and head boy and girl. He only went and got the Deputy Head boy award for this year which was voted for by the kids plus input from teachers. Such a huge proud moment for us, both in tears watching our son collect his tie on the main stage. Really nice compliments from parents too as we walked out to meet him.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fantastic Pokerjoke, very proud Dad moment.

For us the proud parent moment was last July at school for the end of year awards ceremony. My boy is such a good natured lad, quiet emotional, very polite, gets on with most of his year but is maybe not in the cool group (rugby boys). Our kids are lucky enough to go to private school due to my wife working there and at the end of each year the school has the deputy and head boy and girl. He only went and got the Deputy Head boy award for this year which was voted for by the kids plus input from teachers. Such a huge proud moment for us, both in tears watching our son collect his tie on the main stage. Really nice compliments from parents too as we walked out to meet him.

That's quality mate all down to the parents too and the way they are brought up.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
It's not on the same level but I'm very proud of my son's ability to make me and the wife laugh! He's 6. The other day he was explaining to our 4yo what the word merge means. "It's where to things join together to become one. It's like when 2 heads go onto the same neck." :rofl:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
when my lad wanted to take up karate he was saying he would use his skills to protect his sister.
well after two years of going to karate classes every monday night ,it was time for him to take his blackbelt exam ,he was really nervous and worried he might get things wrong but his sensai told him he would be fine and not to worry ,his mum and I were nervous for him as well when he went into the examination room . what seemed like an eternity of waiting ended with a very tired looking lad coming through the double doors grasping a black belt in his hand.he was one of only three that passed that day out of fifteen that were going for it .
he was 12 years old.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm always proud of my 8yr old son tbh.
Doing very well at school & enjoying his football.

Best feeling ever being a parent.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No kids myself but was beaming from ear to ear when my little 10 year old nephew got picked to play cricket for Leicestershire.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My lad now 27 played football (goalkeeper) to a very good standard when he was a kid. When he was about 12 or 13 he played against a team who were the best in the county! They wer excellent but had a nasty streak in them. During one game he slid out to smother a ball and a kid slid in very late and put his studs straight in his chest, ( it was the opposition managers son). It hurt my lad bigstyle. sponge man came on dealt with my lad, and I told the ref it was the second time the kid had done it and the ref had not blown for a foul. he told me to shut up and not to do his job. About five mins to go and my lad did the same, kid slides straight in and his studs went straight across his cheek across his eye and onto his forehead. My lad was screaming. I lost the plot. That night his eye and face was a right mess. After the game the oppo manager apologised to my lad trying to gloss over it. My lad told him if his son ever comes near him again on a football pitch he will get his own back.

last game of the season. It's the KO cup final at Mansfield Town Football ground. The opponents who had won the league, Benevolent cup and Notts shield. Had to win this final for the grand slam. We were battering them 3-1 and the ball gets bladdered down field towards my lad in the goal. For some reason my lad was slow coming out then he set off like clappers the other kid was going for the ball as well. My lad timed it to perfection, ( his words not mine, he delayed his run out on purpose ) smashed the ball clear and followed through with his kick. It caught the lad in the chest and he was crying before he hit the deck. The opposition manager was going mad. The ref told the manager to calm down and said his son had made three late challenges during the game. My lad bent over and said something to the kid. My lads team went on to win 4-1 or 4-2.

After the game I was proud that they had won but was proud he had stood up for himself. It was a very strange feeling, but something happened that day in the sense that I knew he would look after himself. It was the best football I ever saw my son and his team play for the " Colliery".

I asked him what he said to the kid on the floor, he told me " that's for every kid you have kicked on purpose". Best thing is I paid £10 to have a copy of the game on a vhs tape.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Having a loving relationship, a really good job but more than that - giving us the most wonderful grand daughter and grandson I'm very proud of how our son has turned out

gregers

Head Pro
Visit site
ive got 3 boys,19/17/13
im proud of all of them including there faults.

my youngest has had to overcome a few problems from birth,yet took up karate and managed to get to blue belt.sadly he has stopped going but has shown interest in taking it back up again.
this is an achievement in itself considering he was born with bi lateral talipes,and suffers from hypo mobility syndrome.

son number 2,is currently working under an apprenticeship scheme and not only thoroughly enjoying it,his boss pays for his train fair and is well impressed with his can do attitude and his knowledge of computers etc.

eldest is working in a nursing home for dementia sufferers as a trainee chef,has only been there 2 months and already looking at on going promotion and training.

Last edited: