US Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I do believe it’s an act of defiance, he knows exactly what he’s doing but just doesn’t give a rats @rs3 anymore, even if it results in a DQ.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just asked the question of Twitter..
As he's been given the penalty, are that able to DQ him?
Has the rule breech been dealt with and that's the end?
I don't know - we need Colin or Rulefan..

D

Deleted member 15344

They can DQ him after but they will bottle - and they have done suggesting it wasn’t done on purpose :rofl:

If it wasn’t Mickelson then it would be a DQ

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will be interesting to hear what the other players think about it. However, I bet they won’t say anything in the media about it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just asked the question of Twitter..
As he's been given the penalty, are that able to DQ him?
Has the rule breech been dealt with and that's the end?
I don't know - we need Colin or Rulefan..

If they impose a two shot penalty and he signs for a correct score card then I don't think he can be DQ'd although stand to be corrected

D

Deleted member 15344

Will be interesting to hear what the other players think about it. However, I bet they won’t say anything in the media about it.

Its no different to when Woods should have been DQ'd from the Masters - they arent going to DQ them

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
On what basis are people suggesting he should be DQ'd? The penalty for making a stroke at a moving ball is 2 strokes and there is no provision for a DQ under that rule. He clearly made a stroke at a moving ball and so a 2 stroke penalty it is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On what basis are people suggesting he should be DQ'd? The penalty for making a stroke at a moving ball is 2 strokes and there is no provision for a DQ under that rule. He clearly made a stroke at a moving ball and so a 2 stroke penalty it is.

Exactly. Some looking for something that isn't there as long as he signs his card and signs for a correct score. Unprofessional behaviour and I expect a hefty fine and nothing else. Not sure why the USGA are bottling it

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf...ement-of-Ball-or-Altering-Physical-Conditions

breach of Rule 1-2 if the Committee
considers that the action taken in breach of this Rule has allowed him or another player to gain a significant advantage or has placed another player, other than his partner, at a significant disadvantage.

Mickelson deliberately hit the moving ball to stop it going off the green which would have left him a harder shot so for me he gave himself an advantage and it should be a DQ

Fish

Banned
Visit site
But how can you be DQ’d if you’ve already withdrawn and are simply playing out, surely you’re no longer officially in the comp? It’s a 10 on his card apparently and it’s obvious he couldn’t give a Tom tit about it.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf...ement-of-Ball-or-Altering-Physical-Conditions

breach of Rule 1-2 if the Committee
considers that the action taken in breach of this Rule has allowed him or another player to gain a significant advantage or has placed another player, other than his partner, at a significant disadvantage.

Mickelson deliberately hit the moving ball to stop it going off the green which would have left him a harder shot so for me he gave himself an advantage and it should be a DQ

Rule 1-2 only applies if there is no other rule that applies to the situation. Rule 14-5 applies to a player making a stroke at a moving ball. As Mickelson made a stroke at a moving ball rule 14-5 applies and so Rule 1-2 cannot be used.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
But how can you be DQ’d if you’ve already withdrawn and are simply playing out, surely you’re no longer officially in the comp? It’s a 10 on his card apparently and it’s obvious he couldn’t give a Tom tit about it.
I don’t believe he’s withdrawn, I think the TV people assumed it when he hit the moving ball, it certainly hasn’t been confirmed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rule 1-2 only applies if there is no other rule that applies to the situation. Rule 14-5 applies to a player making a stroke at a moving ball. As Mickelson made a stroke at a moving ball rule 14-5 applies and so Rule 1-2 cannot be used.

Well said. Can't understand why people are so keen for him to be DQ'd. I'm sure Mickleson will make a full statement. Not like him to hide away and sure it'll all become clear