US Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Major factor I see is that although it's inks 'style', pretty much every green is on a hill, thus limiting the kind of approached shots that can be played compared to a 'proper' links. Therefore the wind blowing at a mighty 10-20mph causes chaos. It's mildly interesting to watch but I'm not a huge fan of these types of courses tbh

D

Deleted member 3432

I haven't watched any of this so far but out of interest how long were they taking to get round?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
what are the holes like infront of the greens, can you run it on from a mile away like traditional links golf?

Every green looks to be on a hill so no chance to run a ball up or use the slopes etc

Options are to either hit the green and hope it holds or pitch up the hill from short, long, left or right!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Every green looks to be on a hill so no chance to run a ball up or use the slopes etc

Options are to either hit the green and hope it holds or pitch up the hill from short, long, left or right!

Thanks, that's ridiculous then at least with true links courses when the wind is up you can play the punch shot low into the wind and run it on. It seems to be a half hearted links course which probably makes it a lot harder than a links

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
It was baffling at times , you can see why they have marquee groups , it creates interest especially on the course and at the Masters etc you can have them on the red button and watch a couple of Marquee groups and then the main coverage will be mixed between a couple of marquee groups plus others that are playing well or people are interested in.

Yesterday though it was just a marquee group and then a few shots from others - remember seeing a few from the other marquee group of the Spaniards , recall one shot from Stenson and a few others but some got nothing. At one time they just showed the players walking to a tee and then waiting there ? I turned it off and watched a bit of the stuff on the website which had the two marquee streams.

It’s a major - there needs to be a balance and a mix , don’t need to show everyone but at least show more than they do , especially when they are playing decent golf, but to concentrate on three players is madness - today we will no doubt have the Rory group

Thankfully Sky don’t do this at the Open , it seems they were just looking for viewing figures and showing 5 hours of Woods does that

It will definitely be interesting what they do with the coverage tonight, seeing as the feature group they would usually base the whole coverage around have all shot themselves out of contention on day 1! Unless any of them get a run going I have no interest in seeing Rory, Spieth or Phil today.

D

Deleted member 15344

It will definitely be interesting what they do with the coverage tonight, seeing as the feature group they would usually base the whole coverage around have all shot themselves out of contention on day 1! Unless any of them get a run going I have no interest in seeing Rory, Spieth or Phil today.

I would guess they would look at the second marquee group with Rose and Co or the Watson group maybe but they may hope for a charge from the Rory group. The Website will have a choice

D

Deleted member 15344

Wind seems less severe at the moment but rain hitting the area for an hour or so which could help soften it up but players still finding it tough - watching this group and they are getting some breaks from some poor shots

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s just a superb round of golf from DJ , just makes sure he doesn’t compound a mistake with another , his putting has been superb and he has ensured he made us of the breaks he has had , enjoyed watching him play today

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That’s just a superb round of golf from DJ , just makes sure he doesn’t compound a mistake with another , his putting has been superb and he has ensured he made us of the breaks he has had , enjoyed watching him play today

Crikey I agree.
Really like his laid back way of playing this game of ours, tremendous long birdie putt on the par 3 with no obvious histrionics ,quite old style, which I like.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great rounds from Fleetwood and DJ. Hoping Rose and Poulter can match these and remain in contention. Good night of viewing with the Spain v Portgal match (got £10 on that not finishing 11 a side) and the golf.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Crikey I agree.
Really like his laid back way of playing this game of ours, tremendous long birdie putt on the par 3 with no obvious histrionics ,quite old style, which I like.

He just looks like he couldn’t care if he wins or not.
Obviously he does.