US Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
For those on Twitter, Phil Kenyon, (@swashputting), has been showing his green maps, and said earlier today that some of the positions weren’t good.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're 1 Dustin Johnson bogey away from Berger and Finau being the final group on Sunday. This is mental. Golf Twitter is absolutely hilarious right now!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mickelson has pretty much just admitted that he took the penalty to save a bigger score because the ball was going to be ending up back in that awful position which could have ended up with him taking a lot more than a 10. So it’s deliberate and it’s very poor from him
i agree with this.
Just a question If he gets away with just a 2 shot penalty.

If I had a downhill chip and left my bag just behind the flag and accepted the penalty for hitting my bag would that be ok.
Apart from bad etiquette that is.

This will open a can of worms I think.

There is a big difference between breaking a rule by mistake and doing it deliberately to gain an advantage.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
i agree with this.
Just a question If he gets away with just a 2 shot penalty.

If I had a downhill chip and left my bag just behind the flag and accepted the penalty for hitting my bag would that be ok.
Apart from bad etiquette that is.

This will open a can of worms I think.

There is a big difference between breaking a rule by mistake and doing it deliberately to gain an advantage.

I think it was a little bit of a head wobble and frustration. Whilst i believe he knew the consequences prior to the putt, he had already lost it by that point.

That being said, he broke a rule and has been punished accordingly. It may not be in the spirit of the game, but plenty of people will measure two club lengths with a long putter or driver when taking relief form a stake tree that was not really in reach of the pw they then use......

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned but if his explanation of doing knowing he'd get two shot pen and that was better than letting it run etc......

Why not let it go and take an unplayable under that rule for a one shot pen and replay the shot!

I can't blame him for feeling the course is poor but don't lie about why you did it (there's more chance of real change if he's honest)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned but if his explanation of doing knowing he'd get two shot pen and that was better than letting it run etc......

Why not let it go and take an unplayable under that rule for a one shot pen and replay the shot!

I can't blame him for feeling the course is poor but don't lie about why you did it (there's more chance of real change if he's honest)

Good point!

He was probably so fed up with the ridiculous green speeds that it was a spur of the moment decision.

It's a DQ for me but I don't lose any respect for Phil, he's highlighted an escalating trend that could see golf losing its respect.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Embarrassing move from Phil. Totally lost respect for the guy.

I'm the same - if he had had that in mind! I think he just 'lost it', as 'taking an unplayable' would have been a 'better' option!

He still might WD! If he doesn't, I wonder if there are any 'Boo's heard after his 1st Tee announcement!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know what all the whinging and hand wringing is about!! It's a tough set up. The best physically and mentally prepared player will win. Too many top players who don't appear mentally strong enough to cope. Separates the men from the boys I suppose.
#comeonPoults

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Embarrassing move from Phil. Totally lost respect for the guy.

For me, it just further confirmed he's not a nice person.

I lost all respect for the guy when he fiercely criticised Tom Watson's Ryder Cup captaincy in a press conference immediately after the USA's defeat. Don't have a problem with him feeling Watson let the team down but felt it should have been face to face, behind closed doors.

Deliberately breaking a rule to gain advantage is cheating.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

But he didnt break a rule. If he had, he would have been disqualified. The penalty for what he did is two shots, not disqualification, so his action is catered for within the rules. So none is broken.
The same as a football or rugby player choosing to give away a free kick or penalty and accept the sanction as the lesser of two evils - he is penalised for it sure, but in accordance with what the rules allow him to do.

#JusticeForVilifiedPhilWhoWasHonestEnoughToPointOutWhatANonsenseTheUSGAHaveMadeYetAgainOfAGolfMajor

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

Is it, though? From what Mickelson said in the interview, for him it was more like a trade: take two penalty shots, but catch the ball before it leaves the green. Is that different from for example taking one penalty shot when declaring a ball unplayable? Or from giving a search up early, because the provisional is in the fairway? So is it "breaking a rule to take advantage" or is it "taking the best advantage possible of the rules"?

I am not saying Mickelson was in the right. And I don't think he would have done it if he had still seen any chance for himself in the tournament. But it is an interesting question.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I don't think he 'cheated'.

Is it, though? From what Mickelson said in the interview, for him it was more like a trade: take two penalty shots, but catch the ball before it leaves the green. Is that different from for example taking one penalty shot when declaring a ball unplayable? Or from giving a search up early, because the provisional is in the fairway? So is it "breaking a rule to take advantage" or is it "taking the best advantage possible of the rules"?

I am not saying Mickelson was in the right. And I don't think he would have done it if he had still seen any chance for himself in the tournament. But it is an interesting question.

I agree with this to some degree.

As you say, do we not do that to some degree when taking stroke & penalty, the new rules will allow us to drop out of a bunker under that rule, is that not taking advantage of the rules rather than playing the ball where it lies in the hazard, or currently if we simply don't like our stance or limited swing or using the 1 shot 'unplayable' rule just because we can?

We constantly take a distance of 2 (sometimes 1) club lengths with our driver, which we are not going to use to obtain as much distance as possible from the obstruction or lie only then to hit our 8i, is that not massaging and using the rules to our advantage.

OK Phil's is slightly different, but it's still a penalty scenario and he was willing to accept a 2 shot penalty to hit his moving ball to put himself in a better position, no different to the examples above!

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not condoning it, but wherever rules are in place with penalties attached, is it not a players choice to decide whether to accept a penalty to help themselves, or are these rules simply to penalize errors and deliberate breaches of them, if so they should be renamed laws?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The US Open always seems to find a way of making itself look a bit silly to the casual sports viewer.

I get that is wants to be the toughest test which is fair enough. But I'm not sure how many viewers want to watch players at the pinnacle of their sport being made to look like fools on the greens.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think he 'cheated'.

I agree with this to some degree.

As you say, do we not do that to some degree when taking stroke & penalty, the new rules will allow us to drop out of a bunker under that rule, is that not taking advantage of the rules rather than playing the ball where it lies in the hazard, or currently if we simply don't like our stance or limited swing or using the 1 shot 'unplayable' rule just because we can?

We constantly take a distance of 2 (sometimes 1) club lengths with our driver, which we are not going to use to obtain as much distance as possible from the obstruction or lie only then to hit our 8i, is that not massaging and using the rules to our advantage.

OK Phil's is slightly different, but it's still a penalty scenario and he was willing to accept a 2 shot penalty to hit his moving ball to put himself in a better position, no different to the examples above!

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not condoning it, but wherever rules are in place with penalties attached, is it not a players choice to decide whether to accept a penalty to help themselves, or are these rules simply to penalize errors and deliberate breaches of them, if so they should be renamed laws?
It’s a bit like the MPs expenses scandal “ No rules were broken “ but we all know they got away with it! ( most of them anyway).

Think Cappela is right he was protesting and challenging the USGA to see what they do.

If he was one shot of the lead he would not do that.

Just dosnt sit well with me!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

hes one of the best putters in the world .
Why would he want to put it back to where he has just putted off the green and face the same putt again.