US Open Tee Times - Stellar Groups

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

We see the “stellar” names week in week out on the PGA tour - each event coverage is mainly dominated by 4 groups , 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon

The majors especially the Opens are special and they shouldn’t just focus on those same stellar players , it gets boring , whilst at times The Open does put some big name together it never seems as bad and even then the coverage used to be varied where you saw more than just the stellar players

They are the Majors they sell themselves, they don’t have “major sponsors” to satisfy , they don’t need to just focus on the same 6/8 players people will still watch it because it’s a major .

I agree

D

Deleted member 16999

156 Golfers teeing off over 8 hours, max TV Coverage less advertising and studio breaks approx 13 hours of Golf,
To make it fair each player gets 5 minutes coverage, add in studio talk and ad breaks you’re probably down to 4 minutes per golfer.
Choice, 4 minutes of all 156 or focus on the top players and contenders, the first 2 days they have to make it attractive to tv audiences, do they show the 70+ who probably won’t make the cut or the best in the world.
Formula 1 doesn’t concentrate on the race for 14-15 or a Marathon on those at the back.
They may not need to worry about major sponsors, but media companies will be trying to sell the advertising slots over the first 2 days and the higher the likely viewing figures, the hire the fee.

D

Deleted member 1147

Play better golf then - it's as simple as that. The TV cameras, coverage and interviews will follow.

Look at Andrew Landry a few years back - a complete unknown at the time (and journeyman pro until his breakthrough this year). The way he got his exposure was by being in contention.

But if people aren't in the big groups they won't get the exposure until they are in contention. Surely they should be getting the exposure whilst getting into contention. You noly have to look at the guy the other week who had a hole in one, but because he wasn't being followed by the on course camera crew it wasn't picked up.

When I went to Woburn for the British Masters the other year I sat next to the par 5 7th green, lots of good play happened there without the camera behind the green in place or being manned. In fact Matt Fitzpatrick, the eventual winner, played a sublime chip from a horrible lie at greenside (as did Chris Wood), but as there was no camera because he wasn't yet a big name no one saw it on TV. But once the big name groups, with the big crowds appeared there were TV cameras everywhere to watch some pretty average golf in quite a few cases.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't have to stray too far from this page to see the obsession with Tiger is alive and well and telling us what's in his bag AGAIN and who he's playing with.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
But if people aren't in the big groups they won't get the exposure until they are in contention. Surely they should be getting the exposure whilst getting into contention. You noly have to look at the guy the other week who had a hole in one, but because he wasn't being followed by the on course camera crew it wasn't picked up.

When I went to Woburn for the British Masters the other year I sat next to the par 5 7th green, lots of good play happened there without the camera behind the green in place or being manned. In fact Matt Fitzpatrick, the eventual winner, played a sublime chip from a horrible lie at greenside (as did Chris Wood), but as there was no camera because he wasn't yet a big name no one saw it on TV. But once the big name groups, with the big crowds appeared there were TV cameras everywhere to watch some pretty average golf in quite a few cases.

They would still only have full coverage on half a dozen groups, so there's still a slim chance of that HiO being filmed. What if it happened as part of another group that still didnt have a top player? But at the majors they will definitely have all of the Par 3s with permanent cameras. The aren't going to have a full camera crew and on course commentator with every group - it simply isnt feasible.

People also need to understand that the vast majority of golf fans, and nearly all casual sport fans that dip into the golf will only watch majors. They have no interest and wont watch people they dont know. So if there is a drive to broaden the coverage to lesser known players, it should happen at the lesser events. But then the sponsors wouldnt pay as much - vicious circle.

The bottom line remains - play better golf and you'll get the exposure.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Worse draw possible for Tiger - going to be 30 - 40 yards behind DJ and Thomas off the tee with his driver......provided he finds the fairway with it of course.....

He therefore definitely needs to reign his ego in and just take whatever gets the ball in play rather than trying to smash driver just to try and keep with the other 2 - not sure he's capable of that.

As for the draw itself, yes random are better but still a lot of players in this one I've never heard of and have no interest in!!

You might have got away with spouting nonsense like this 10 years ago on these forums but now we have lots of stats freely available, Tiger is no where near 30 to 40 yards behind these guys, and for the 5 yards he gives up off the tee, his approach play is rated better than both of them

Pin-seeker

Visit site
We’ll see more of the lesser players over the week end if they put themselves in the mix.
I’m not that bothered about watching them if they’re struggling to make the cut.

D

Deleted member 15344

You might have got away with spouting nonsense like this 10 years ago on these forums but now we have lots of stats freely available, Tiger is no where near 30 to 40 yards behind these guys, and for the 5 yards he gives up off the tee, his approach play is rated better than both of them
I expect the main important stat is Fed Ex or Rankings - Johnson and Thomas 1 and 2

I believe there are stats galore , a quick look at driving distance has woods behind both , GIR Woods behind both by a distance , believe his putting stats maybe better

But the stats are meaningless at the end of the day with the most important one is the Win column.

I agree with the motive behind Paul’s post - years back Woods would be the stand out player in the group , now he is behind both the other players in his group.

Not sure how he will get on but accuracy from the tee is key in a US Open so could see him miss the cut

D

Deleted Member 1156

Are you suggesting that Woods is better than the current world #1?

D

Deleted member 1418

Are you suggesting that Woods is better than the current world #1?

No just that my post was nonsense!! 😉😀

Which in a way it was, but we've seen this year already that when Woods really tries to leather a driver when playing with the big boys, there's been occasions where he's been way off line!

Anyway enough about about the Tigger - he's not going to challenge!! 😉😂😂