Drawn Comps

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On Tour we know that it isn’t a draw for rounds 1 & 2 in the real sense of the word

Players are grouped together as marque groups
Marque groups are given selected (not drawn) tee times for TV
I also imagine players who actively dislike each other will be kept apart and a few other considerations taken into account during the ‘draw’ to assist with the success & smooth running of the event

That’s all fine, it’s their ball and they can do what they like

But what would your club committee do if a draw for a comp threw up a pairing/group that really do not like each other or its was clear a group would be painfully slow etc?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We do make such alterations before the draw is published. In the same way we avoid married couples being in the same three ball but keep them fairly close to each other's tee times as they normally travel to the course together.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Same here ... the comps aren't really randomly drawn. Instead, our secretary puts a lot of time and effort into stuff like avoiding clashes between players who can't stand each other, putting couples into separate but if possible adjacent groups, sending fast players out early and known stragglers toward the end, mixing members and guests, all while still trying to maintain a good mix of players of different ages, handicaps, gender etc. It's a very cumbersome job and I would not want to have to do it.

We have a few comps where the playing order is determined by handicap, with the lowest handicaps going out first. That's mostly the more "official" ones, like the club championship, the district championship etc. And there is also a handful of more social, fun comps where you can chose your group. They are usually non-qualifiers, though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure my club makes any considerations. The only instance I could see is where one party had perhaps referred another player to the club for a major discrepancy of some nature. Other than that the club view is we're all adults and get on with it. I may be harsh and cynical but what is the point of a randomly drawn comp if you then pick and choose players into other groups. If a player really didn't want to play with another they'd need to speak to the captain or secretary or decide not to play in the drawn section and roll up later.

D

Deleted member 21258

We have one drawn comp a month and there are no amendments once it's drawn. Consequently a few people don't turn up on the day.

I can understand that and why it happens. Clubs that decide to have drawn comps need to remember that people are playing this game in their own time, expense and because they want to.

Can see a number of advantages for drawn comps for sure but I don't think I have ever entered one and after a couple of bad experiences(and many good ones I hasten to add) when playing with 'strangers' I wont be risking it again. Id just rather not play.

Luckily at our club we have very few drawn comps, so basically our committee doesn't have to deal with the problem above, there are 'drawn' 9 hole socials which are great for meeting people.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
At my last club they had occasional drawn comps and when they came out I used to look at them and think hang on a minute, this draw looks very similar to when people put their own names down so it was obvious it was drawn to keep everyone happy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
only the Silver Trophy's and CC are drawn, 10 of those, so all the Pullar and Sunday Stablefors and wednesdays cups you can play with who evet you like.

from time to time you get someone who's a pain to play with, but not often as there is also some element of seeding as you select a time slot in the drawn and they then try and putt sim handicaps together

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
When folks put their names up for our comps they can specify whether they want a late, middle or early tee time, with the understanding that specifying any of them doesn't really guarantee a specific time....its been known for "late" tee times in small field comps to be at a time that many might consider to be early!!

However, within these rough allocations, groups are drawn reasonably randomly with the usual caveats that players who travel together and couples are usually placed in groups close together and if there are any real personality clashes then we keep those players apart.

This does leave room for the committee member doing the draw to have a bit of fun....I once "paired" three players all with the name "Steve Williams" together.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure our draws are completely random, as I often seem to end up with one of my mates plus two others. But then our handicaps are similar so maybe he was doing it by that.

If I got drawn with someone I didn't like, I feel sure I could ask the club secretary to move me and he would do.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
We've had to start drawing comps for every board comp even single events which is something we have never had to do before, because of one particular suspicious group.

A random draw is made in which you play within 20 minutes of your original slot, the pro knows the members and therefore any that may have disputes with others (which is not common) he keeps apart. Not normally an issue anyway as they avoid all contact as one plays around 7am and the other around 9.30am.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On Tour we know that it isn’t a draw for rounds 1 & 2 in the real sense of the word

Players are grouped together as marque groups
Marque groups are given selected (not drawn) tee times for TV
I also imagine players who actively dislike each other will be kept apart and a few other considerations taken into account during the ‘draw’ to assist with the success & smooth running of the event
Not sure that this is always the case, I remember in Feinsteins book of the majors, in the US Open they always had a group of w*****s together.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our monthly medals are random draws, 4 x 3 balls [12 names] enter your name in the block of 4 you want , 8 minute slots. Your exact time is published a few days before the comp. Weekly medals you pick your own time and FCs.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
We used to have a mixed comp. that involved a dinner the evening before the event, when a random draw was made. Then you partrner'd up the next day to play. That was a board comp. and was really good fun.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Club championship, 1st round in handicap order, 2nd round in leader board order.
Like it or lump it.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of our comps are drawn. As far as I'm aware the only considerations made are for those wanting an early tee time. And also for those travelling together, get either same group or within two groups. Even then some people complain if they have to wait for the group behind to finish if they are giving someone a lift.

Our week night comps, a weekly stableford and four comps for the Eildon trophy are all just turn up and play. Which works well but doesn't get as many turning up to play.