Biggest golfing mistake you've ever made?????

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not me, but a friend. I had arranged a team entry in the Crieff Seniors Texas Scramble a few years ago, and one of the team members was travelling up from Edinburgh. Ten minutes before our tee time there was no sign of him so we phoned to see if anything was wrong. "Where are you?" we asked and he replied "In the carpark waiting for you." We looked round the packed car park for him but no sign. It turned out that he was at Crail, not Crieff, over 50 miles away!!!

AliMc

Visit site
Not me, but a friend. I had arranged a team entry in the Crieff Seniors Texas Scramble a few years ago, and one of the team members was travelling up from Edinburgh. Ten minutes before our tee time there was no sign of him so we phoned to see if anything was wrong. "Where are you?" we asked and he replied "In the carpark waiting for you." We looked round the packed car park for him but no sign. It turned out that he was at Crail, not Crieff, over 50 miles away!!!
Have to hold my hand up to a similar incident Clive, as a spotty youth I turned up to play a tie at Silverknowes in Edinburgh when I should have been at Kingsknowe !

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After playing exceptional in 2014, I sold my complete set up which had bagged 3 majors and third in the order of merit for the clubs I’d always wanted.

6 months of trying to make them work for me failed and I’ve never played the same since.

WORST MISTAKE EVER!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to hold my hand up to a similar incident Clive, as a spotty youth I turned up to play a tie at Silverknowes in Edinburgh when I should have been at Kingsknowe !

Quite a few courses around Edinburgh with similar names. I once got confused between Aberfeldy and Aberfoyle, but realised my mistake the day before which was lucky because they are both 50 miles away from me in the opposite direction!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A friend did the same a few years back
The thing was it was our annual Machrihanish meet-up :p
Fortunately ours was only 20 miles away in Bathgate .
But on another occasion 2 of us stood waiting on the tee at Carnwath GC, while the other 2 stood waiting on the tee at Colville Park GC .
A wee mix up between 4 old farts pals , members of 4 different courses :confused::ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in a club stableford comp and going along quite nicely, get to the 16th and Ive left a short, inches, putt for par.
Rather than go through my usual routine I try to tap it in one handed and miss the ball :eek:.

End up in the clubhouse with 39 points and finished tied for first but lose on countback.

My playing partners always quick to remind me on that green whenever we play :mad:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We had people turn up to Northcliffe in Shipley every year having booked into a comp at Northcliffe in Scarborough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Managed to stand on our 16th tee five under handicap in the midweek stableford and flying and then went 6, 6, 6 (double, triple, single bogey). Annoying but not the end of the world. Played the monthly medal a few days later and was five over gross (off about 13 at the time) and guess what, went 6, 6, 6 again to end up +11 gross (net 68) to finish second,

Went OOB left on the 16th, OOB left on 17 and then went right off the tee on the 18th and had to lay up and pitch on for four and two putt the last both times. What was it Einstein said "
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Managed to stand on our 16th tee five under handicap in the midweek stableford and flying and then went 6, 6, 6 (double, triple, single bogey). Annoying but not the end of the world. Played the monthly medal a few days later and was five over gross (off about 13 at the time) and guess what, went 6, 6, 6 again to end up +11 gross (net 68) to finish second,

Went OOB left on the 16th, OOB left on 17 and then went right off the tee on the 18th and had to lay up and pitch on for four and two putt the last both times. What was it Einstein said "
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Seemingly consistency is supposed to good :D , don't know who said it :ROFLMAO:

Cityfanbrian

Club Champion
Www.fairfieldgolfclub.co.uk
I hadn’t been playing too Long and I was off about 25 playing in the seniors over 50’s major at my club. I was having the round of my life as I arrived on the par 5 17th tee. In my mind I’m telling myself not to do anything stupid. I slice me drive into the trees, hit a tree with my second and 3rd shot then I find deep rough on the other side of the fairway, I finally hole out for an 11. On the short par 3 18th an easy hole by anyone’s standards i card a 5 for a final score of a level par 68 Net.
my mate rings me in the evening telling me how well I’d done and only missed out by one shot, to say I was gutted would be an understatemen, it irked me for 13 years until I finally won a major in 2020.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going with an inexperienced fitter in the early days of fitting. Ruined my game for three years...that taught me that a poor fitting can make your game worse.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I was at Crowborough Beacon many years ago, we used to have a competition called the "Survivors Bowl".
It was a three day comp that started on the Friday as a medal. The top scores from that, (can't remember exactly how many now and it's too early to try to work it out), went through to play a knockout competition the following day, culminating in the final on the Sunday.
Anybody could enter the 1st round medal, but if you couldn't attend the knockouts you were supposed to mark this on your card to assist the secretary work out the following days rounds.
Guess who didn't write this on their card?????
I played in the medal, I was off 11 at the time and had a 'mare on the front 9. I think I was nine over at the turn. I'd shot my bolt.
Proceeded to shoot the lights out on the back 9, I had my best ever score.
Handed my card in and went home.
About 7 that evening the secretary rang me at home to congratulate me on my round, and confirm my teeing off time for the morning knockout. She had a fit when I said that I couldn't play and had forgotten to put it on my card.
I didn't enter that competition ever again......
:cry::cry::cry: