4 Ball Group "refusing" to call a 2 ball through.

sunshine

Visit site
Out of all of the OP this is the one I dislike the most

At the 10th tee all were in the trees and after a fairly long wait One player appeared walking back some 200 yds-ish to the Tee to take S & D penalty,

I have had a couple of verbal head bangings with guys who do that. Totally unacceptable in my opinion. One guy got so irate because our 3 ball would only let him tee off until after we had all teed off (effectively becoming a four ball off the tee) that he stormed off the course.

Spot on.

You could have taken him hostage and refused to release him until they let you play through.

Although these guys seem pretty stubborn, you probably would have ended up handcuffing him to a radiator for a long time.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course all this could have been avoided if all those that had booked a tee turned up. Would be interested to know if any disciplinary action was taken against them, to me that shows an equal lack of etiquette.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agreed, my point was aimed at those expecting action to be taken against slow play, but feel it's ok to no show.
Appreciate all the comments but I never mentioned "slow play" but a refusal to call through, its also interesting that my OP asked how would your Club react to this behaviour and only one comment answered this, seems nobody knows what the outcome would be if it happened at their Club.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Appreciate all the comments but I never mentioned "slow play" but a refusal to call through, its also interesting that my OP asked how would your Club react to this behaviour and only one comment answered this, seems nobody knows what the outcome would be if it happened at their Club.
I accept your issue is with the refusal to call through, but to say you never mentioned slow play is stretching it some what. Nobody knows what would happen because in reality though golf club members constantly moan about slow play and the general lack of ettiquette rarely are complaints put in writing and even when they are the facts are generally disputed.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the slowest at my club one year was the Captain!
There were numerous complaints put in writing but nothing happened.
So they can’t really punish anyone else after not sorting the Captains slow play out.
Clubs are all bark and no teeth ,that needs to change imo.
Emails just don’t cut it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the slowest at my club one year was the Captain!
There were numerous complaints put in writing but nothing happened.
So they can’t really punish anyone else after not sorting the Captains slow play out.
Clubs are all bark and no teeth ,that needs to change imo.
Emails just don’t cut it.
Following complaints from the members our club committee had a crackdown on slow play in medals and introduced voluntary members acting as observers/ course rangers/ gee er uppers.
I was asked to do the morning of the first medal and issued slow play warnings to the Club Captain and two committee members.
That made me surprisingly popular with most of the members.:love:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guilty as charged your honour!

Played today with 3 old guys who I know. One is probably the slowest in The Club.2 were ex Captain’s. There was a 2 ball behind us followed by another 2 ball. On the 4th I said are we going to let this 2 ball through? The answer was no by one and another said there is another 2 ball behind!

I did apologise to the 2 ball later on and they were OK with the situation. unfortunately I was not!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guilty as charged your honour!

Played today with 3 old guys who I know. One is probably the slowest in The Club.2 were ex Captain’s. There was a 2 ball behind us followed by another 2 ball. On the 4th I said are we going to let this 2 ball through? The answer was no by one and another said there is another 2 ball behind!

I did apologise to the 2 ball later on and they were OK with the situation. unfortunately I was not!
I would have made the decision for them and told the 2 ball to tee off

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In my short experience as a member, 7 ish years. Some people are pig ignorant when it comes to letting folk through. Ironically we had a open letter from the committee to members a couple of months ago about slow play. Best bit, one of the slowest players at the course is a committee man. Let me tell you I made a beeline for the club Secretary the next time I was at the course and told him. He was shocked and a bit sceptical, i collared the next three players who walked past and they said the same. Funnily enough, he and his entourage have picked up the pace since then.
As a senior, I have found the senior seniors the worst offenders. I put a lot of this down to age and the loss of physical strength, call it what you may. Most of our hold ups are because they only play 9 holes so it’s an amble. Front nine can take 2 hrs 30.back nine sub 2 hrs. Am not telling a fossil to hurry up so he can have a heart attack. It is what it is.

Thursday I was in a fourball and two women caught us up. We had made the decision that we were letting them through at the next. The 2 women became one. I asked if she wanted to play through. She was happy to follow us. She was in amble mode and her pal had to go after 14 to get to work. What surprised me was a Pp said “ we were obliged to let a twoball through but not a single player ?”. I told him there’s no way I would hold up one person unless we were held up.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It astounds me how many people still think that single players have no standing. That was removed from the Rules of Golf in 2004.
If anyone doubts just hand them the latest copy of the rules and ask them to point it out.

While I believe its rarer now isn't it still course dependent?

Just looked up one course I know that still does it:

"Priority on the course
Priority on the golf course is determined by the size of the group: 4 balls have priority over 3 balls and 2 balls. This applies to games and not to tournaments or competitions. A single player has no status on the course"

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
While I believe its rarer now isn't it still course dependent?

Just looked up one course I know that still does it:

"Priority on the course
Priority on the golf course is determined by the size of the group: 4 balls have priority over 3 balls and 2 balls. This applies to games and not to tournaments or competitions. A single player has no status on the course"
I have to say I consider that to be a pretty archaic approach by the club.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have to say I consider that to be a pretty archaic approach by the club.

Yeah I agree its odd and probably wouldn't be seen at a members course but this is a resort course (that also has members) so a single (or a 2) are taking up space that could be used by a 4-ball. So revenue takes a hit as well as turning down other potential players when tee times are limited (peak season)

But it appears the practice of 'standing' isn't against any rule

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Yeah I agree its odd and probably wouldn't be seen at a members course but this is a resort course (that also has members) so a single (or a 2) are taking up space that could be used by a 4-ball. So revenue takes a hit as well as turning down other potential players when tee times are limited (peak season)

But it appears the practice of 'standing' isn't against any rule
Beginning in 2004, the etiquette guidelines in the rule book said that speed of play - regardless of how many golfers are in any particular group - determines whether a group should be allowed to play through.

The 2004 revisions clearly implied that the USGA and R&A consider a single a "group," but did not explicitly state that. So another revision, in 2008, clarified that point and explicitly stated that a single is a "group," and has the same rights as any other group.

Here is what now appears in the Etiquette guidelines of the Official Rules of Golf:

In the "Pace of Play" section: "It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group." (emphasis mine)

In the "Priority on the Course" section: "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term 'group' includes a single player."

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Beginning in 2004, the etiquette guidelines in the rule book said that speed of play - regardless of how many golfers are in any particular group - determines whether a group should be allowed to play through.

The 2004 revisions clearly implied that the USGA and R&A consider a single a "group," but did not explicitly state that. So another revision, in 2008, clarified that point and explicitly stated that a single is a "group," and has the same rights as any other group.

Here is what now appears in the Etiquette guidelines of the Official Rules of Golf:

In the "Pace of Play" section: "It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group." (emphasis mine)

In the "Priority on the Course" section: "Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term 'group' includes a single player."

I totally get it... but doesn't all that just mean it is a guideline. So regardless of what I think, a club doing this isn't breaking a rule ;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I totally get it... but doesn't all that just mean it is a guideline. So regardless of what I think, a club doing this isn't breaking a rule ;)
The Club could adopt the 'recommendation' as a Club Local Rule which may provide for penalties or disciplinary action. See Committee Procedures 5G link at end of Rule 5.6b(3)