US Open 2024

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Tiger is a sideshow to the main event, an exhibition player. Nothing wrong with that - he is a golfing legend, and if fans want to watch him that’s their choice, but he isn't a contender anymore. I think he’s having a hard time accepting that himself

That’s prob very relevant to someone like Phil Mickelson as well but Woods is still the biggest name and draw in the sport and he has proven before that when he is written off he defies the odds and with his mental strength I wouldn’t write him off yet

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Only day 2, but with the set up of the course, I’m saying no one on +2 has a chance to come back into it, 7 shots just seems to much.

Will be interesting to see how the guys that go off earlier today with the greens a little softer , there is chances for the players out. 7 shots seems a long way but a good 65 would get players back into it from there

Was a very good watch last night , some impressive golf when the course was starting to play very tough

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
That’s prob very relevant to someone like Phil Mickelson as well but Woods is still the biggest name and draw in the sport and he has proven before that when he is written off he defies the odds and with his mental strength I wouldn’t write him off yet
Phil has admitted his career is almost over - he’s talking of retirement in a couple of years. It’s time Tiger did the same, and it’s time the media stopped fawning over him. He might well be a big draw, Jack Nicklaus would be if he rocked up at a major and tee’d it up - but it wouldnt be good for the soorting integrity if the competition.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hovland has to be biggest disappointment so far. +8 has really played himself out of it.

The toughest tests will really expose your weaknesses. He's improved his short game a lot but this course has probably shown to him he's not there yet.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Hovland has to be biggest disappointment so far. +8 has really played himself out of it.

The toughest tests will really expose your weaknesses. He's improved his short game a lot but this course has probably shown to him he's not there yet.

Been struggling hasn’t he I know he returned to his old coach and played decent at the PGA but not surprised it’s collapsed again at that place

Hopefully he gets back to where he was because the KVV article prior to the pga did not paint a good picture

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Some people who know some things seem to think the winning score is in the region of -4 to -7, so the guys at the top potentially don't need to do anything special to remain in contention, although it is possible the likes of Cantlay could separate himself (short game was excellent yesterday). I do think Cantlay might be extra motivated by his mate Xanders major win, although I really hope he doesn't win. Fingers crossed Rory avoids being too aggressive, particularly as wind comes into play, and keeps a cleanish scorecard; I expect Scheffler to hit fairways and greens today and be comfortably in the mix at the weekend - again, fingers crossed Rory doesn't try to match Xander or Scheffler today and just does his own thing. Hope Abergs fitness hold. As for BDC, would not be disappointed to see him win on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 29109

The early starters today at the sharp end, could really separate themselves from the rest of the field with the softer conditions.

Springveldt

Visit site
Rory has made a decent start, two good tee shots. With these conditions, if he can shot under 70 again today he’s going to have a good shot.

I really shouldn’t be getting my hopes up this early.

Reactions: sjw

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you seen the Peter Finch video? He played it a while ago but just released the video recently.
It looked dull and uninspiring to me then. And now?
We need to get the local courses get tournament treatment occasionally.
There is something about having boards around tee boxes, stands or spectators around greens. It frames the course so much better than when it stands alone. Particularly so if it is a flat course.

Springveldt

Visit site
Rory has made a decent start, two good tee shots. With these conditions, if he can shot under 70 again today he’s going to have a good shot.

I really shouldn’t be getting my hopes up this early.
And then he hits a shot from 150 yards in the fairway that I would have been embarrassed with.

Springveldt

Visit site
Watching how much these putts are rolling out already on watered greens, good luck to the guys when the sun gets out later.