US Open 2023

sunshine

Visit site
Imagine standing on the 1st tee and smashing it 382 yards down the middle of the fairway. What a way to calm any nerves. Even though he is one of the best in the owrld, I bet Rory felt special as he walked 50 yards past Koepka's ball :LOL:

I don't think you can underestimate the confidence boost of a fast start.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Imagine standing on the 1st tee and smashing it 382 yards down the middle of the fairway. What a way to calm any nerves. Even though he is one of the best in the owrld, I bet Rory felt special as he walked 50 yards past Koepka's ball :LOL:

I don't think you can underestimate the confidence boost of a fast start.
Koepka and Matsuyama were both in the bunker though right? Not like it would have been 50 yards otherwise? Still, you're not wrong about the confidence boost of hitting that drive on the first. I presume anyway - most days at the moment I'd be lucky to hit 382 yards with two shots let alone one.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Think it’ll get tougher tees up yesterday and pins in nice places think -3 will be a hell of a knock round there today

I like the course good test of everything off the tee

Today will be a similar setup as they have to keep it that way to even the draw out best they can.

Then tomorrow and Sunday the fun will start.

Koepka and Matsuyama were both in the bunker though right? Not like it would have been 50 yards otherwise? Still, you're not wrong about the confidence boost of hitting that drive on the first. I presume anyway - most days at the moment I'd be lucky to hit 382 yards with two shots let alone one.
It’s even better to stop and have a quick peek in the bunker at your opponent’s ball as you stride past.

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe it's the time difference. they figured nobody will be watching in the UK at 3am.
Bizarrely, at about 11.30, the coverage seemed to switch to the US coverage with the US commentators for quite a while. I know they do this a bit for standard events, where they just use US coverage, and then the Sky team fill in a bit when the Americans go to their 40th advert in the hour. But, usually the Sky Team are permanently on punditry for all the big events, or so I thought.

I think the US coverage annoys me more than even the less than perfect Sky commenters. At one point, after they had already avoided showing the golf due to adverts, showing leaderboards, highlights, etc, they then went to a segment with 2 American actors (one was the chap in Ozark) doing a bit of a sketch on golf. Felt like no golf was shown for about 5 minutes, and that we were missing quite a bit of golf, unless you were following Cantlay.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone else having a problem? My sky stream has been saying loading please wait for over 30 minutes.
Edit
Sorted

Last edited:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today will be a similar setup as they have to keep it that way to even the draw out best they can.

Then tomorrow and Sunday the fun will start.

It’s even better to stop and have a quick peek in the bunker at your opponent’s ball as you stride past.
‘Is that you? Unlucky mate. Yeh, that’s me up there I think’.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think the course is producing some good golf and think it could get exciting on the last day.
Problem for me is that with the time difference I won't be watching the finish also the crowds seem a bit too far back to be involved.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Not enthused with the course at all.
I like the course, although when I look at it, I'm not sure how much I would like it if I played it. I could see it getting tedious if I started losing multiple balls.

I'm not a fan of the blocks of flats on the periphery. I say blocks of flats somewhat tongue in cheek as I understand that the course is located in one of the most expensive areas of LA and that the course itself is potentially one of the most valuable pieces of real estate anywhere in the world. They are almost certainly incredibly expensive apartments, but they still look crummy to me.

Springveldt

Visit site
Think the course is producing some good golf and think it could get exciting on the last day.
Problem for me is that with the time difference I won't be watching the finish also the crowds seem a bit too far back to be involved.
Apparently each member got 4 tickets each and there are over a thousand of them, the USGA had loads and there were only 4000 left for general sale.

Some holes seem like a graveyard, watched the Rory group tee off on 10 and not one of them even got a single clap for their shots.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I’ve got a 6am flight on Monday morning. So I’m going to miss any drama on Sunday night.