US Open 2023

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
An opening 65. Let’s hope he hasn’t peaked too soon.
Yep, good opener but only read about the 18th this morning...

Time difference is a struggle for most UK based watchers (Backsticks excluded of course 😆)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thumbs up to USGA for getting highlights onto ytube of decent duration and being dam quick about it too (the PGA was rank rotten for it)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yep, good opener but only read about the 18th this morning...

Time difference is a struggle for most UK based watchers (Backsticks excluded of course 😆)

Hahahahahahaha class :ROFLMAO:

Its so nice to see golfers at this level are still subject to this sort of thing at times.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought BDC's interview after is round was particularly insightful.

It's the US Open, got to hit fairways, hit green and make putts

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that what he said?? Doesn't sound like him to be honest. :LOL:
It was pointed out to him when he won he hit the fewest fairways of any winner in history.

The rest of the interview was good, but thought him describing how to play golf wasn't particularly helpful

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was pointed out to him when he won he hit the fewest fairways of any winner in history.

The rest of the interview was good, but thought him describing how to play golf wasn't particularly helpful
Two out of three isn't bad I guess - if you're hitting the greens and making putts then it doesn't really matter if you did it from the fairway or not. 😄

Springveldt

Visit site
I thought BDC's interview after is round was particularly insightful.

It's the US Open, got to hit fairways, hit green and make putts
To be fair some of the fairways are 60 yards wide, if a pro is missing them they have issues.

Decent day for my e/w bets as well. Fleetwood and Cam Young not so good but Finau and DJ did well. Also have Rory to win just in case he finally does.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Similar here really, but would add that I like Dougherty as well. I liked Faxon when they had him on in the past. Maybe he was busy this week.
Agree re Dougherty. I find Radar a bit much now, as he's now got this reputation, so has to be full on "Radar" all of the time

mister v

Visit site
i would really like rory to win. he struggled with form after becoming the poster boy / mouth piece for the PGA only to have the rug pulled from under him. His driving yesterday was Fantastic, if he can keep any sort of wedge game going he'll be in the mix

Swango1980

Visit site
To be fair some of the fairways are 60 yards wide, if a pro is missing them they have issues.

Decent day for my e/w bets as well. Fleetwood and Cam Young not so good but Finau and DJ did well. Also have Rory to win just in case he finally does.
True, although some of those fairways are pretty crazy when looking at the graphics of where players balls landed.

It seems if you don't hit a 20 yard patch on one side of some of the fairways, but hit the other 40 yards of fairway, it'll just roll all the way down into rough. There was another hole where it looked like it was almost impossible to miss the fairway. Almost every player in the field had their ball end up in a little valley on the fairway, I didn't see one ball that appeared to have ended up off the fairway at all on that one.

D

Deleted member 29109

I do feel sorry for Rory sometimes (not often). He shoots 5 under in the first round of the US Open, and all today's headlines were "RORY WHIFFS THE BALL ON THE 18TH! LOL!" :LOL:

He didn’t whiff it in my opinion. A whiff is a fresh air shot, going under it in that kind of rough is easy to do.

It was nice to see Rory quietly go full Alpha. Was just a shame about making bogey on the last.

Swango1980

Visit site
I do feel sorry for Rory sometimes (not often). He shoots 5 under in the first round of the US Open, and all today's headlines were "RORY WHIFFS THE BALL ON THE 18TH! LOL!" :LOL:
Agreed. His driving was certainly immense. Nearly every time he hit the fairway, which was most times, he seemed to have had the biggest drive of the day on that hole by a good margin. His approaches were good, especially for him, although I'm sure he'd have liked to get a few more closer, especially on back 9. Mind you, he was perhaps playing a bit more conservatively, and it possible served him well overall. Hitting the first 16 greens in regulation (and still having a decent birdie putt from fringe on 17th) may be the better way for him to play, rather than trying to flag hunt, and potentially giving himself some nightmares on a few holes he is slightly off target.

The 258 yard 4 iron to a kick in birdie was decent.

Liked seeing Fowler up there. Lots of promise when he came on the scene, but sort of faded away last few years. So wouldn't be too disappointed to see him continue to do well this week.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed. His driving was certainly immense. Nearly every time he hit the fairway, which was most times, he seemed to have had the biggest drive of the day on that hole by a good margin. His approaches were good, especially for him, although I'm sure he'd have liked to get a few more closer, especially on back 9. Mind you, he was perhaps playing a bit more conservatively, and it possible served him well overall. Hitting the first 16 greens in regulation (and still having a decent birdie putt from fringe on 17th) may be the better way for him to play, rather than trying to flag hunt, and potentially giving himself some nightmares on a few holes he is slightly off target.

The 258 yard 4 iron to a kick in birdie was decent.

Liked seeing Fowler up there. Lots of promise when he came on the scene, but sort of faded away last few years. So wouldn't be too disappointed to see him continue to do well this week.
I saw that shot before I turned in for the night, that was out of this world.

Would be crazy if Fowler sparked his comeback with a US Open win. Back when he was on top of his game, I think he was one of the best putters I've seen. Spieth got the plaudits for his, but Fowler seemed to drain everything with a very simple putting stroke - very much like Cam Smith now.

D

Deleted member 1147

I saw that shot before I turned in for the night, that was out of this world.

Would be crazy if Fowler sparked his comeback with a US Open win. Back when he was on top of his game, I think he was one of the best putters I've seen. Spieth got the plaudits for his, but Fowler seemed to drain everything with a very simple putting stroke - very much like Cam Smith now.
It's Fowler's pace on the green that amazes me. The ball seems to fly in, but if he misses it doesn't seem to go miles past.
I either lag it short or fly past the hole. 😒

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The number of 62s in Majors in the last thousand years - 1
The number of 62s yesterday - 2.
The gallery are baying for blood....

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
The number of 62s in Majors in the last thousand years - 1
The number of 62s yesterday - 2.
The gallery are baying for blood....

Think it’ll get tougher tees up yesterday and pins in nice places think -3 will be a hell of a knock round there today

I like the course good test of everything off the tee